Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, as many know I just installed a Cervinis' Shaker Hood/Ram Air Kit. I wanted to start a new thread to show install pics. Before, after and also maybe help or head off any issues or save others potential issues or problems with their installs down the road.

1) First and foremost be patient when ordering and think ahead. Neither of which I am known for! Cervinis' own website for example states 4-6 weeks for a painted hood. Mine took 9.5 weeks.

2) Call opposed to ordering on the web and here is why! Couple of reasons. One, ask about time. I did and still didn't make a difference but still. Two, ask about discounts, I did and ended up realizing that if you purchased a second item you saved 10%. Ok, this is stupid. Buy a $150 grill, save 10% off what amounted to a $2600 order (hood, paint, grille) save $260, sell grille for $90 save $350. I don't know but it works! LOL

Also, ask about back orders, parts on hand such as complete kit ready to go? Shakers built and ready, hoods ready etc. Trust me on this.

3) Ask them what carrier and when it will be shipped. For the East Coast they used AFB for mine. It sat here in Orlando from Friday to Monday, could have and should have been delivered that Friday as it arrived Thursday. Stuff like that just bothers me. FedEx or UPS would not have done that I don't believe. I have always had EXCELLENT success w/both.

4) Here is a BIG ONE that you can easily miss as I did. If not for "BurnOne" (forum member) I would have been totally screwed! If you order online and order the "PAINT" option, YOU MUST CLICK the little box that also says "Paint bottom side" for an additional $200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise, much to YOUR surprise, the hood will arrive UNPAINTED!!!!

EVEN THOUGH I CALLED, the sales rep NEVER mentioned this to me! Can you imagine??? I would have hit the roof!

Luckily I happen to see the post on this forum in time and made the added option to my order! Now, as for paint all I can tell you is the color match for my car is DEAD ON and the quality is FLAWLESS! I could NOT be any happier!

5) Fit & finish. Same as paint quality above. I could not be any happier! Not too mention the windshield squatters are relocated as Dodge should have done from day one!

6) Everything you need is included. Now, in saying this I will say that I was under the impression that Cervinis' supplied a new air tube that connects the air box to the throttle body. Not sure why I thought that, but I did. They DO NOT and you DO reuse your stock air tube. I am glad that my SRT8 air tube had not sold as it looks and fits MUCH nicer not too mention it DOES NOT have the air muffler ugly stupid thing hanging off the passenger side. Something to consider rounding up during your down time while waiting for your new hood to arrive...

7) You will need to do something for coil pack covers. I choose to go with 3g custom covers and I am glad that I did! I went with the steel, plain, simple, no cutouts etc. NOW, if you go this route, when you order them you have to choose if you are going to be using a stock air box or not. If you are using a Shaker hood, you will choose NOT. This means there will be NO notches in the driver's side coil pack cover up front and you can not install them until you remove your stock air box. So don't get ambitious and try to install your coil pack covers ahead of time. They WILL NOT fit!

I also choose plain steel covers. I primed and painted mine and I am VERY happy with the quality of them. They are VERY VERY thick gauge steel and the bends and welds are just PERFECT! you CAN NOT go wrong and the cost is unbeatable IMHO.

8) Take your time, have a helper. At least one. Everything is metric. Plenty blankets. Their instructions are very good but do not cover everything as you will find out. There is nothing about removing the old hood, washer hoses etc. My recommendation is to remove the old hood FIRST! Period! It makes everything else easier plain and simple.

9) Take several before & after pics. It's great reference if need be and nice to have as well.

10) I installed the small air filter under the driver side coil pack cover to keep it hidden. I like to keep as many aftermarket looking items hidden as possible. I used the stock elbow and rubber tube from somewhere in the stock air tube setup. I had pulled them all off and apart so I don't know where the parts came from exactly I just looked around and found what I needed and they worked out perfectly allowing the small air filter to connect to the factory pipe outlet and go point and lay in an area where the coil pack cover would lay over the top of it with no issues. Maybe it's just me, but I just do not like the look of odd parts like that sticking out here and there. I am even painting the large air filter grille cover semi flat back because it just jumps out and stands out too much in my opinion. I like a clean, stock look as much as possible.

11) Install time including the Mopar Hood Pin Kit was a grand total 5.5 hours. We started at 12;30 and finished at 6pm. All in all I must admit, this job went about as smooth as it could have. Aside from the plastic wire holder breaking off in the head bolt hole on the passenger side, that was the only setback so to speak. Once I heated up a awl and phished that out, we were back in action. I have to give my Son & my Wife a lot of credit as they really amaze me with their continuing support and help with each and every step we take wit this project. They are simply the best pit crew a car guy could ever wish to have!

12) Hood alignment: Ok, you may or may not believe me. But, all we did was put the new hood on the hinges, used the supplied bolts (they were in the steel legs/feet that were bolted to the hood inside it's box when shipped) as they are smaller in diameter than the stock ones. We simply put the new bolts with their washers into the hood hinge holes and lined up the washers with the paint marks on the bottom side of the hinges (put the washer inside the unpainted areas like a bulls eye) and tightened them down. Slowly let the hood down (the stock latch had already been moved over as per the instructions) and bingo! That was it! It may not be 100% perfect, but I know enough that if I messed with it anymore, it would not be any better in fact it would be not as good. I would call it 98%. The two points up at the windshield are dead nut perfect! IF anything, it MAY need to go to the passenger side by a fraction of a millimeter. But you know what, we drive our car. DAILY! She isn't going to a concourse show and she isn't going to a beauty show!

I hope anyone doing this will have this much luck with the alignment as we did as I have done this in the past where it took hours and didn't look no where near as good!

In the pic below there is a factory, plastic wire holder that screws into the threaded hole into the face of the head. Take a lesson from me, undo the wires from this plastic thing FIRST and actually UNSCREW the holder from the head as you need the threaded hole to install a new bolt (supplied with your kit). I thought this was a "push in" holder and tried to pop it out. Yea, not good. The head popped off and left the shaft in the hole. Yea that was fun.

IF you have a strut brace as I do (Petty Garage) for whatever reason, the driver side is SUPER tight as there is part of the Shaker base that has a rib in the mold that will basically ride right against the brace. Now, had I not already muscled all four coil pack cover bolts back in at that point I may have taken a moto-tool and notched out a half round in the rib for the brace to nicely fit around. Instead, I removed all three brace bolts, seated the Shaker base and driver side coil pack cover bolts then re-seated the brace and bolts. It's tight, but it did fit.

There was a bit more assembly work involved that I expected and the instructions also did not mention anything about drilling out the holes in the lower base part of the Shaker assembly to match the holes that were already drilled in the top half. Clearly they needed to be drilled as there were 15 holes in the top half and they provided 15 (well 16) killer phillips head, plastic connector things. Because they do not mention drilling obviously they don't tell you the size drill required. Well, you will need a 1/4" bit. As always, becareful as you will be drilling these holes after the Shaker base has been secured to the top of the engine. I honestly can imagine trying to drill this any other way as there would be no way to make it stable. I'm guessing this is why it doesn't come pre-drilled? Also, when cracking down and tightening these plastic connector things, be sure to use a GOOD screw driver and push down hard! These things are tough to get to draw up tight. I could see where if you were using an old wore out screw driver you could easily strip out the heads on these things in a split second and that would look like crap as you see these things every time you pop the hood instantly!

As a side note:
Hood pin kit install is a breeze! Installing this kit is so simple, easy and quick. Had I realized it, I would have done it on the stock hood just to pacify myself until this hood arrived. And for those freaking about about drilling holes in the hood, oh brother, find a real problem to worry about. I didn't thing twice about drilling into a $2600 hood let alone a simple $500 stock hood. Speaking of which, anyone need a Hemi Orange hood? LOL

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Looks great! :smileup:

So after having it on for a day how ya liking it??? Or should I say loving it :D

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Very good illustrated write-up on the Cervini shaker scoop hood! My own hood (different design) was available with a ram air intake option and I was able to take advantage of the 10% savings. I did not take up their painting option and shipment was quick. Main take-away I had for dealing with Cervini is to carefully read all of the product and ordering information on their website.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simply amazing. Went to Winn Dixie last night, Son ran in to get kitty litter and I sat outside in front in the car. I was only out there for 5/6 mins. In that time the car managed to gather a small crowd and I am dead serious. This has never happened before. People that were coming out of the store were stopping and gathering around the car. A younger couple set their bags on the ground, got their phones out and began to take pictures. It was almost embarrassing, I kid you not. My Son thought something happened as he was in the self checkout line and could see the people around the car! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one thing I do find interesting on this design is the air box. The bottom of the air box has the exact same size hole that drops straight out of the bottom as does the side where the air cleaner attaches. Sure seems to me a ram air duct/tube could be made to go down and connect up to the intakes on the SRT chin spoiler.... Hmmm how "cool" would that be???

I can almost assure you that if this is possible without too much work, I am going to at least try!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Very aggressive look. Great mod.:smileup:

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey "BurnOne" who did I get us the "Shaker" stickers from? I can't remember and I had to empty my PM's. I wanted to say thank you again as we put that sticker on right away!

·
Registered
141 Posts
HemiOrange, awesome work. Interesting that you were able to fit the shaker assembly around the strut tower brace. I checked with the Dodge dealer where I bought my car and the parts guy showed me in the MOPAR performance catalog specifically states their brace wont work with the shaker hood. Maybe you were able to fit your shaker parts around the brace because you added them after the brace was in place?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HemiOrange, awesome work. Interesting that you were able to fit the shaker assembly around the strut tower brace. I checked with the Dodge dealer where I bought my car and the parts guy showed me in the MOPAR performance catalog specifically states their brace wont work with the shaker hood. Maybe you were able to fit your shaker parts around the brace because you added them after the brace was in place?
Well I will say and I can see where technically it could be said that it doesn't "fit". And truth be told, I will end up notching that rib for mine on just that one side as I know it is tight. Now, also, it could be too that the Petty brace is bent and or designed specifically to fit/work with the Shaker because they do go out of their way to make that known and that is THE reason I bought theirs. Certainly not because I am a NASCAR person because I have never watched a race and know nothing about it. Although Danica looks pretty in a fire suite. That's about my extent of NASCAR right there. Anyway...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congrats!!! It is a relief that everything worked out.

Its great that the paint work is perfect but how would it look if the rest of the car is not?

I suspect if everyone is gawking at the Shaker most would not notice the rest of the car but it sure would bother me.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats!!! It is a relief that everything worked out.

Its great that the paint work is perfect but how would it look if the rest of the car is not?

I suspect if everyone is gawking at the Shaker most would not notice the rest of the car but it sure would bother me.
I can't see where the hood looks any different than the rest of the car. The only reason it may appear "better" is due to the fact that it is a large flat surface and it is what everyone sees. So if there is anything you want to be perfect, it's the hood. I have yet to have anyone get on the ground, lay down and look at the rocker panels. If they do, have at it. The only time I did, I had been out all night and the paint looked better then ever!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,676 Posts
Great writeup. This one should be copied to the How To forum. I'd rep again for this, you but looks like I'll have to owe you :smileup:

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Thanks for the write up the hood looks great.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great writeup. This one should be copied to the How To forum. I'd rep again for this, you but looks like I'll have to owe you :smileup:
Thanks Bud!

I appreciate all kind words. I enjoy the mods and also the write ups as well. To me it just makes sense to take lots of pics, post em and add the comments to help other folks. Why not?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts