Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of the new challenger back to 08 what would be the lightest model you could buy what would be the approximate weight

·
12,989 Posts
Last summer my friend went to look at new Challengers and we saw an R/T that had the delivery receipt in the car which said 4050 lbs. I do know that the SRT is heavier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sure about any option adds weight mine is a no option rt 6speed by the se sx all being aotomaics probably a weight difference where is the shipping weight listed think I got all my paperwok

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found weight on registration car of 4045 so remove spare and jack and will be close to getting under 4 thousand possibly control of amount of gas in car will get me there any tips on losing a few pounds with out taking drastic or costly measures just think it would be cool to have a hemi under 4,000 pounds

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
found weight on registration car of 4045 so remove spare and jack and will be close to getting under 4 thousand possibly control of amount of gas in car will get me there any tips on losing a few pounds with out taking drastic or costly measures just think it would be cool to have a hemi under 4,000 pounds
What do you consider drastic???

You could

delete rear-seat kit (31lbs saved)
http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/sx-rsd-lc.htm

replace bumper support front/rear (40lbs saved)
http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/sx-lxlc-lbs.htm

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,513 Posts
Engine cover removal would get you a couple pounds. Changing the original battery for an Optima would get probably 20 pounds. This car also has a lot of sound deadening in the doors and under the carpets if you wanted to go that far.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The lightest Challenger would be the Drag Pak I guess! Weighing in around 3,250 :smileup:

But you probably don't mean that one, here's a short list

SE - 3720
SXT - 3834
R/T (08-10) - 4041
R/T (11- 14)- 4082
SRT - 4170

You can check out the whole article at Allpar

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The lightest Challenger would be the Drag Pak I guess! Weighing in around 3,250 :smileup:

But you probably don't mean that one, here's a short list

SE - 3720
SXT - 3834
R/T (08-10) - 4041
R/T (11- 14)- 4082
SRT - 4170

You can check out the whole article at Allpar
thanks will probably take car to certified scales with about 2 gallons gas and get an actual weight thinking an auto with all options would be significtantly different than a 6 speed no option car both being rt

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
thanks will probably take car to certified scales with about 2 gallons gas and get an actual weight thinking an auto with all options would be significtantly different than a 6 speed no option car both being rt
That's what I've always wanted to do, just not sure where there are any scales around here that I could use :4-dontknow:

Let me know how it turns out!

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
That's what I've always wanted to do, just not sure where there are any scales around here that I could use :4-dontknow:

Let me know how it turns out!
Dave, moving companies that do storage such as Mayflower have scales. A couple of friends have had their cars weighted and the cost was about $20.00 to $25.00.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, moving companies that do storage such as Mayflower have scales. A couple of friends have had their cars weighted and the cost was about $20.00 to $25.00.
beautiful day so took spare and jack out by evic guess I had 3-4 gal gas drove to a local truck stop with me out of the car 3973 pounds the dude running the scale was interested in the car and why I was weighing it so no charge I think these scales were accurate as they are periodically checked by the state

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I found this post pretty interesting, might help shed a few more pounds for ya in some easy areas.

Here is a more comprehensive listing based on my gatherings and some of the other posts on this thread:

1.) Spare & Jack – 40 lbs
2.) Trunk Mat – 13 lbs
3.) Floor Mats – 7 lbs
4.) Engine Cover – 7 lbs
5.) Front Sway Bar – 20 lbs
6.) Resonators – 50 lbs
7.) Rear Seat – 50 lbs
8.) Windshield Washer Resevoir – 7 lbs
9.) Lightweight Battery – 28 lbs
10.) Aftermarket Exhaust – 40 lbs
11.) Lightweight Front Bumper Support – 20 lbs
12.) Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid – 20 lbs
13.) Carbon Fiber Hood – 10 lbs ?
14.) Aftermarket Rims & Tires – 25-125 lbs
15.) Front Racing Seats – 65 lbs
16.) Afco Suspension and Control Arms – 40 lbs
17.) Ram Clutch – 15 lbs
18.) Chrome Moly Driveshaft – 12 lbs
19.) Stereo & Speakers – 15 lbs
20.) Power Windows – 10 lbs
21.) Carpet – 10 lbs

Let's add some more stuff to the list guys! Especially if anyone can think of stuff that is easy/free/cheap. A lot of that stuff above is more for a drag only car, but it all adds up at the end of the day.

Like one of the other posters above, I managed to lose almost 30 lbs by changing my diet around over the last few months. Not only does that help my car's performance, but helps me too, haha!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found this post pretty interesting, might help shed a few more pounds for ya in some easy areas.
probably a good plan for the forever people as parts wear out and are replaced be aware of the weight this could become as obsessive as modding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's a shame we should have to resort to these weight saving measures, only to get down to the weight of the other modern muscle cars on the market, this car is just too heavy

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's a shame we should have to resort to these weight saving measures, only to get down to the weight of the other modern muscle cars on the market, this car is just too heavy
It honestly doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to be visiting the track any time soon nor do 0-60 times concern me. My car is a daily driver, if I can afford to let her lose some vanity weight to improve MPG's that's one thing, otherwise it's not a big deal.

Our cars might weigh more than the others, but they are by far the best looking ones on the road! :smileup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
The weight does effect the performance of my car, if I could justify the weight by maybe being able to say it was a stiffer better performing chassis I would, but that is not the case, the chassis is a wet noodle. Beautiful car, nice engine, great tranny, but 4-500 pounds overweight and noodle chassis

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the old muscle cars were intermediates with big engines heavy duty police and taxicab parts they were also heavy.as compared to the trans am& ponycars the challenger can carry 20 percent more people and probably 50 percent more cargo.although the challenger carrys a ponycar name and style to me its more similar in feel and size to an old b body

·
Registered
424 Posts
It honestly doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to be visiting the track any time soon nor do 0-60 times concern me. My car is a daily driver, if I can afford to let her lose some vanity weight to improve MPG's that's one thing, otherwise it's not a big deal.

Our cars might weigh more than the others, but they are by far the best looking ones on the road! :smileup:
I am with you on this one for sure.

·
Registered
424 Posts
the old muscle cars were intermediates with big engines heavy duty police and taxicab parts they were also heavy.as compared to the trans am& ponycars the challenger can carry 20 percent more people and probably 50 percent more cargo.although the challenger carrys a ponycar name and style to me its more similar in feel and size to an old b body
I purchased and still have a 1969.5 Super Bee SIXPACK and I agree with you. Welcome home. 1967-68.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts