Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The body shop called me Tuesday (7 weeks to the day I took it in) and told me that they were detailing it to make it look pretty, and I could pick it up that evening. I picked it up that evening, as the sun was going down, and it looked good in the low light and fresh wash. The shop said I could wash it, but not to wax it for a month. Unfortunately the next few days were windy and my Challenger was covered in dust, you couldn't see much of the new paint job under the dirt and dust. Today was the first day of decent weather, so I took my car over to the car wash and give it a rinse off. What I found has me angry. Holograms, swirl marks, light scratches, orbital buffer marks, hazy areas, cloudy areas, etc. Is this fixable? Anyone ever deal with this before? I called GEICO and left a message to see what they suggest.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The body shop called me Tuesday (7 weeks to the day I took it in) and told me that they were detailing it to make it look pretty, and I could pick it up that evening. I picked it up that evening, as the sun was going down, and it looked good in the low light and fresh wash. The shop said I could wash it, but not to wax it for a month. Unfortunately the next few days were windy and my Challenger was covered in dust, you couldn't see much of the new paint job under the dirt and dust. Today was the first day of decent weather, so I took my car over to the car wash and give it a rinse off. What I found has me angry. Holograms, swirl marks, light scratches, orbital buffer marks, hazy areas, cloudy areas, etc. Is this fixable? Anyone ever deal with this before? I called GEICO and left a message to see what they suggest.
demand to get the car fixed the right way!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Yes! Take it back and get it fixed! A friend of mine had something like this happen to him and he got it fixed! Lou.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I used GEICO as a insurance company until someone ran into the back of my dodge ram,I had very shoddy work from their people and I demanded that they fix my truck properly..I dont know if this is the case..Did GEICO make you go to one of their people..They seem to have a lot of crappy bodyshops..YES..I would demand that they fix your car properly

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used GEICO as a insurance company until someone ran into the back of my dodge ram,I had very shoddy work from their people and I demanded that they fix my truck properly..I dont know if this is the case..Did GEICO make you go to one of their people..They seem to have a lot of crappy bodyshops..YES..I would demand that they fix your car properly[/QU

They didn't make me take it to one of there shops, but I didn't have much of a choice either. I live in a smaller town out in the middle of the desert. There are only a couple of shops in town, and I took it to the one that is regarded as the best shop. There nearest town with another body shop is over two hours away.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Take pictures if you can of the swirl marks, and imperfections of your car, and email them to your insurance company.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I had an issue with a repaint a last year....what a nightmare. Took the body shop 3 tries before they got it right!

·
Registered
421 Posts
SEVEN WEEKS? Wow! How much damage was done to it? That is an awful long time for a body shop to repair a new car.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Ah that sucks! It's even worse you don't have a whole lot of options around you, hopefully your insurance people can make it right!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
What I found has me angry. Holograms, swirl marks, light scratches, orbital buffer marks, hazy areas, cloudy areas, etc. Is this fixable? Anyone ever deal with this before? I called GEICO and left a message to see what they suggest.
Very fixable, unfortunately most paint & body shops are not well equipped to handle it. Everything you describe above is indicative of an aggressive compounding conducted with a rotary (direct drive) buffer and incorrect polishing compounds. Keep in mind that P&B shops specialize in applying paint, not in polishing it. They typically have one or two guys who know how to run a buffer, but it's the wrong tool in the hands of anyone but a professional detailer. Holograms occur when a rotary (direct drive) buffer is applied with too much pressure and run too fast across the surface of your paint.

Try this. Contact a detailer in your area who has good Yelp.com reviews and has been polishing paint for at least 5 years. Whomever you choose should have a website with photos of past jobs. This shows pride of his or her craftsmanship. Have him/her write up an estimate to correct or level your paint. It should run about $300 - $400 if no wetsanding is required. Contact your P&B shop to see if they will cover the cost of the paint correction. Tell them you don't trust their guys based upon your current situation. If they refuse to pay, file a claim with your insurance company if you have a small deductible. It should not affect your rates.

An experienced detailer will usually test the thickness of your paint with a paint thickness gauge (or PTG) to make sure you have an adequate layer of paint if wetsanding is required. The good news is that nearly all repaints are applied with an extra thick layer of clear coat for just this reason, and the paint will absolutely POP when finished. A professional detailer will usually polish a test panel on your hood to show you what level of correction he or she will be able to accomplish, and will even demonstrate the same test to your claims adjuster.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very fixable, unfortunately most paint & body shops are not well equipped to handle it. Everything you describe above is indicative of an aggressive compounding conducted with a rotary (direct drive) buffer and incorrect polishing compounds. Keep in mind that P&B shops specialize in applying paint, not in polishing it. They typically have one or two guys who know how to run a buffer, but it's the wrong tool in the hands of anyone but a professional detailer. Holograms occur when a rotary (direct drive) buffer is applied with too much pressure and run too fast across the surface of your paint.

Try this. Contact a detailer in your area who has good Yelp.com reviews and has been polishing paint for at least 5 years. Whomever you choose should have a website with photos of past jobs. This shows pride of his or her craftsmanship. Have him/her write up an estimate to correct or level your paint. It should run about $300 - $400 if no wetsanding is required. Contact your P&B shop to see if they will cover the cost of the paint correction. Tell them you don't trust their guys based upon your current situation. If they refuse to pay, file a claim with your insurance company if you have a small deductible. It should not affect your rates.

An experienced detailer will usually test the thickness of your paint with a paint thickness gauge (or PTG) to make sure you have an adequate layer of paint if wetsanding is required. The good news is that nearly all repaints are applied with an extra thick layer of clear coat for just this reason, and the paint will absolutely POP when finished. A professional detailer will usually polish a test panel on your hood to show you what level of correction he or she will be able to accomplish, and will even demonstrate the same test to your claims adjuster.
I might be able to do this if I didn't live in the middle of no where. We don't have any detailing places here, and the nearest detailing place with any decent reviews is about 3 hours away, down in LA. Vegas is 4 hours away, maybe I can find a place there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SEVEN WEEKS? Wow! How much damage was done to it? That is an awful long time for a body shop to repair a new car.
Total repaint, all new glass (except the back window), new headlights, new fog lights new grill, new A/C condenser, new badges, and clean the sand and gravel out from between the radiator veins. I was caught in a microburst, which in the desert equates to 95 mph winds that throw rocks around.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
I might be able to do this if I didn't live in the middle of no where. We don't have any detailing places here, and the nearest detailing place with any decent reviews is about 3 hours away, down in LA. Vegas is 4 hours away, maybe I can find a place there.
Vegas is a goldmine for finding a good detailer. If you would like, I can post a thread on my Meguiars detailing forum to see if a senior member on the forum works out that way. If not, I'm sure I could get a good recommendation for you.

And I do know firsthand how a paint shop can screw up a car's finish. It happened to me 6 years ago when I owned a new Accord. If you want some firsthand perspective as to what a good detailer can do for you, read about my experience at http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27006

That episode is what got me into automotive detailing ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vegas is a goldmine for finding a good detailer. If you would like, I can post a thread on my Meguiars detailing forum to see if a senior member on the forum works out that way. If not, I'm sure I could get a good recommendation for you.

And I do know firsthand how a paint shop can screw up a car's finish. It happened to me 6 years ago when I owned a new Accord. If you want some firsthand perspective as to what a good detailer can do for you, read about my experience at http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27006

That episode is what got me into automotive detailing ;)
That would be great! I'm going to talk to my insurance on Monday and see what they want to do. I've seen the work this shop does, and usually it's good, so I'm going to give them the chance to fix this. If they can't then I will go somewhere else.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
That would be great! I'm going to talk to my insurance on Monday and see what they want to do. I've seen the work this shop does, and usually it's good, so I'm going to give them the chance to fix this. If they can't then I will go somewhere else.
NP. I'd be happy to do it. Just let me know how things work out and PM me if you decide you want to look for a detailer out in your area. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My car is going in this week for some repairs to the right rear side after I slid on some ice on my street and sideswiped a neighbor's old car, and I'm kind of worried about how it's going to look. The same place did a good job when my car got hit in a parking lot at 3 weeks old, but they screwed the stripe all up. They are going to try to do the stripe again when they fix the new damage. Then, it's going in for the timing chain recall at the dealer I bought it from. This I'm very worried about, as a simple changeout of a window motor has turned into a big deal. First try, the window was fixed, but there was an annoying as hell whistle from the front of the door afterwards. They also scratched the hell out of the window switch and lock button bezel. They replaced that, but in the process, tore the corner of the door handle where the bezel goes in. So, another thing to bitch about.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Agree, that's a long time to keep the car and then to get it back in that condition is unacceptable.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
To answer your last question, yes anything like that is fixable usually short of a repaint, but it's hard to say without seeing it. There may be several reasons for this crappy job. They may have tried to wet sand and buff too early, they may have had a super dirty buffing pad, used the wrong compound, didn't use the glazing compound afterwards, ... or they just didn't know what the h.... they were doing. Sounds like a crappy shop period! I just do it as a hobby and know several guys who do the same and none of us would ever let a car go out the door like that ! You better get on em right away !

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To answer your last question, yes anything like that is fixable usually short of a repaint, but it's hard to say without seeing it. There may be several reasons for this crappy job. They may have tried to wet sand and buff too early, they may have had a super dirty buffing pad, used the wrong compound, didn't use the glazing compound afterwards, ... or they just didn't know what the h.... they were doing. Sounds like a crappy shop period! I just do it as a hobby and know several guys who do the same and none of us would ever let a car go out the door like that ! You better get on em right away !
Not sure what the reason is,looking at some of the scratches I am willing to bet something was wrong with the buffing pad. As the shop works 4-10's they are not open today, so I will take it back tomorrow. I actualy just hung up from talking to the GEICO Adjuster Supervisor, who said that I need to take it back to the shop and that if I get it back unsatisfactory again I will have to make the trek down to the Lancaster/Palmdale area to another shop. Unfortunately the shop I wen to in my town is considered the best of the bunch here. I think either way when this is all over I will probably be driving three hours down to LA, or maybe a little further over to Ventura, and get everything polished out by a decent detail shop. Not that I have the money with an upcoming move... :shakehead:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts