Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,454 Posts
If both of the other retro muscle cars would have stopped with the radical changes at this point in time, either of them would be agreeable with me...yet still with an advantage to the Challenger due its' interior room, comfort and beautiful, basic retro redesign. In the beginning (2004/2009-2013) Mustang and Camaro both still hinted at the original lines of their forefathers. But that was soon to change...

...Once they squashed the Mustangs' roof profile and pulled and slanted back the rear bumper area that killed it for me. The Camaro lost my interest when they tried to turn it into an entry level 'Vette or whatever and in the process it lost most of the touchback with the both the original 1967-69 cars as well as the recreated 2009-13 retro incarnations. Due to the design team decisions over the years, both Mustang and Camaro have now gone off the tracks and derailed into something new, not a taste of something old and retro like the Challenger still is. Look at a 2009 Challenger parked next to a non-widebody 2021 and you can still smell the history of 1970 all over again mentally.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,020 Posts
Great to see Mopar in the lead. And especially the Challenger. After buying my first last year, I am not surprised. Awesome car!

Reactions: dreinecke

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, we love our '19 R/T. So, the awesome ponycar is to be cancelled now.? Or, is it only being monkeyed with by plugging an inline six cylinder?

Our '63 Dodge Dart station wagon had an inline six cylinder in it, a 173 CID slant six with three-on-the-tree when I was a second grade kid. Was a year end left over when we got it in 'late '63. It was still around when I learned to drive in '71 and acceleration wouldn't pull the hat from off your head. It's understood that this proposed six cylinder engine is supposed to be more enthusiastic than that ol' wheezer was, but it's still a comedown not to be endured.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
i still think that this is just a marketing ploy by the big three sitting around and cancelling certain models to gauge what the response would be. the mustang II/ford probe one, the cacellation of the camaro and then being brought back a couple of years later, ford saying it will not produce cars anymore, gm killing off certain brands and models and now the move on stellantis saying that they will only make turbo 6's and electric powerplants. enough people get p.o.'d and they will bring back the hemi. again.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,599 Posts
The Camaro just needs a complete redo. Or to go away. I really don't want it to go away though.
If I ever have my forehead lowered two inches or more, the Camaro would certainly earn my consideration! :D I just can't get past the bunker-like headroom of the Camaro. One of my buddies drives an RS (yep, a MyLittlePonycar) and it's so uncomfortable for me to even ride in because I get the sensation I'm hunkered down in the seat. And he tells me the performance V8 models sit even lower which, of course, probably doesn't affect headroom but I imagine the lowered wheelbase might still add to the claustrophobic feeling

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Camaro just needs a complete redo. Or to go away. I really don't want it to go away though.
GM's styling has been atrocious the last few years, they used to have some of the nicest cars on the road. They screwed up the Camaro right from the get go. I always liked the Firebird better through the years. I would have considered a Buick if they made a Regal GSX or GNX that was decent looking, affordable, 2 door and RWD/AWD. It was none of the above and now no longer made. The Cadillac look decent and perform, just too much money. I really liked the new DOHC Hot V Twin Turbo Blackwing V8 that lasted one year! Ah GM, this is so you.
Glasses Microphone Table Tie Gesture

·
Registered
752 Posts
What is the breakdown on the Challenger model sales? i.e.- how many are SXT, GT, R/T, etc..
And from where was this info sourced?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Looking on Car and Driver stats for 2021 sales, The 10th most sold car is a Honda Civic with 263,787 units sold. #1 is the Ford F-Series 726,004 units sold. Those numbers double and dwarf (respectfully) all 3 cars combined! Yikes!:oops:

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I believe the Mustang and the Camaro moved too far from their retro roots. They look nice, but they were tricked up too much. I also feel this about the widebody (looks great but not retro) but at least you can buy a Challenger with or without widebody.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Wow! I knew they were breathing down the necks of the Fords but hadn’t heard that news! I feel happy and sad:
Happy - shows that our cars, despite a 13 year old design, are still the most popular!
Sad - means there will be more of them and not so rare. When I owned my 2010, there were very few on the road and I got comments every time I stopped somewhere!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392- Smoke Show
58 Posts
Ford has had three different body styles in the time the Challenger has had one. A timeless design is, well timeless.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
139 Posts
Let’s not get crazy. Dodge won because Ford didn’t make any cars to sell. Not style. Ford had GT500, Mach 1, and GT orders lined out the door and canceled boatloads of them. Dealers were pooched all year. Whether it was no chips or redirected focus to the Lightning who knows. Dearborn getting shutdown didn’t help at all.
Once again kudos to Dodge they did what should have never happened.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392- Smoke Show
58 Posts
Let’s not get crazy. Dodge won because Ford didn’t make any cars to sell. Not style. Ford had GT500, Mach 1, and GT orders lined out the door and canceled boatloads of them. Dealers were pooched all year. Whether it was no chips or redirected focus to the Lightning who knows. Dearborn getting shutdown didn’t help at all.
Once again kudos to Dodge they did what should have never happened.
Challenger production was shut down as well. Same chip shortage..etc, etc. I'm actually pretty connected with Ford corporate, and they had the same issues as dodge.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts