Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,033 Posts
Challenger production was shut down as well. Same chip shortage..etc, etc. I'm actually pretty connected with Ford corporate, and they had the same issues as dodge.
Yes, it's not at all like Dodge had a pass. They felt the pain as well. And still made it happen!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah, we love our '19 R/T. So, the awesome ponycar is to be cancelled now.? Or, is it only being monkeyed with by plugging an inline six cylinder?

Our '63 Dodge Dart station wagon had an inline six cylinder in it, a 173 CID slant six with three-on-the-tree when I was a second grade kid. Was a year end left over when we got it in 'late '63. It was still around when I learned to drive in '71 and acceleration wouldn't pull the hat from off your head. It's understood that this proposed six cylinder engine is supposed to be more enthusiastic than that ol' wheezer was, but it's still a comedown not to be endured.
The Slant 6 was a gutless turd. It could tow OK as long as quick acceleration wasn't your goal. The new DOHC 24 valve Inline 6 will be massively better, night and day. The Challenger is a great car, hopefully the next gen won't follow the other two down the wrong styling path.

Reactions: noelekal

·
Registered
122 Posts
For 2024 I'll put my bet on a 3 liter 6 cylinder hybrid with the electric motor replacing the torque converter in the automatic transmission. Adding to that bet would be optional twin turbos and all wheel drive for performance objectives similar to what is already offered. I see a tastefully restyled Challenger on a new platform offering significant weight reduction of 500 lbs or more.

Wishful thinking on my part where I see it as a win-win*.
* improved fuel economy and loads of torque available with all wheel drive.

Many prefer V8s myself included but our current Pentastar V6 is more than enough for this old fart although I wouldn't turn my nose up at an extra 100 pounds-feet of torque and coming in earlier at 2000 rpm or less o_O

Reactions: 2010swse

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, if they offer what is said above, lighter, AWD and Hybrid or Turbo, it will be great. Hopefully interior space doesn't drastically shrink and more importantly, getting the styling right. I can live with more modern lines, if done right. The Inline 6 naturally makes more torque vs a V6, with boost or even a mild Hybrid, it will be killer. My GT AWD Pentastar V6 pulls hills better than the 6L LS, rated at 380 ft/lbs in our 2011 GMC 3/4 ton work truck. The LS powerband below 3500 rpm is embarrassing and sad for a truck. The LS replacement direct injection LT are much better. I will have a 400 HP/400+TQ Olds 358 in my 70S, my Summer driver. I can easily live with an Inline 6, it is the future whether we like it or not. With huge jumps in the fuel economy averages coming, the tightening emissions and the Hemi needing major updates, the writing is on the wall. Too bad Dodge cancelled the V8 spin off the Pentastar V6, it would have been similar to the Coyotes size and power output. Also aluminum and direct injection capable. No direct injection, all iron and being 20 years old dooms the Hemi unfortunately. I like what Ford did, Direct and Port injection on the Coyote, keeps the intake tract clean.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Please explain :rolleyes:
The usually much longer stroke is a big part of it and usually at a lower rpm. I remember we did a 300 straight 6 to a similar year 302 in a mid 80's Ford 4x4 4 spd manual at the shop I worked at. My Boss told him it would actually be worse pulling a Cattle trailer and it was. They are also glass smooth at idle but any horsepower takes careful designing. That being said, the Pentastar was very well designed for torque, pulls hills and a 1000 pound trailer very well.

Reactions: 19 GT AWD

·
Registered
122 Posts
The usually much longer stroke is a big part of it and usually at a lower rpm.
Gotcha :)
So practically speaking straight-6 or V6 is not the determining factor.
More torque with long stroke, mild cam, small valves, long intake tract and fast spooling twin turbos o_O .
Our 3.6 Pentastar was designed to adopt direct injection and turbo charging, improvements which now appear to be headed for the rumored Stelantis Tornado straight six expected in 2024 along with the ZF hybrid 8 speed auto.
Jet engine Engineering Cylinder Auto part Machine
Schematic Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah, basically we saw the Pentastar's potential in the boosted Ferrari version with unique heads and intake on our specially machined block. Also more room for Turbos beside the block on an inline 6. The intake can be trickier as the Inline are usually taller, so they go straight sideways. It will be very interesting to see what it makes before boost but we maybe will only see a Hybrid, Boosted or a combination.

Reactions: 19 GT AWD

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I don't think a Challenger is a Pony Car. It's too big and heavy. It's a Muscle Car and a Mustang is a Pony Car. Although there are no clear guidelines.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
139 Posts
I don't think a Challenger is a Pony Car. It's too big and heavy. It's a Muscle Car and a Mustang is a Pony Car. Although there are no clear guidelines.
Impossible. By definition a ‘muscle car’ has a frame. That is the clear and only guideline. What you think is irrelevant. A Crown Vic is more of a muscle car than a Challenger.
They are all pony cars and have been for almost 60 years.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe it's a Horse Car, LoL.

Regarding the next gen engine replacing the Hemi, rumor from a few months ago has it that the GMET6 was in production in Mexico but nothing since :unsure:

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
249 Posts
Impossible. By definition a ‘muscle car’ has a frame. That is the clear and only guideline. What you think is irrelevant. A Crown Vic is more of a muscle car than a Challenger.
They are all pony cars and have been for almost 60 years.
Explain to us how a Chrysler B body is consistently called a muscle car with its unibody structure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
According to hotcars.com the main difference in this millennium between a pony car and a muscle car is good handling versus straight line power.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
There are tons of definitions.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
According to hotcars.com the main difference between a pony car and a muscle car is good handling versus straight line power.
That same article said:

The term pony car is used to refer to sporty compact cars that are usually fitted with a small-block V8 engine or sometimes even a V6 engine. Muscle cars, on the other hand, are more muscular and bigger than pony cars. They usually have a big-block V8 under their hood. The original pony cars were the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, and the Plymouth Barracuda. The muscle cars that were popular back then were the Dodge Charger, Chevy Impala, and the Ford Galaxie.

I also read:

The platform is the defining distinction between a pony car and a muscle car. Pony cars had more compact size with unibody construction. Muscle cars were mid- to full-size cars with full frames. For the fellow nerds: 110 in wheelbase or under = pony car. And a muscle car had to have a V8. The bigger the better.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
249 Posts
Lots of things that are consistently called something have been wrong for years.
So, you're saying a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner or a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T aren't muscle cars? You are the only person in history who says they're not.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,300 Posts
The original definition says neither are.
There is no original definition. Muscle car term came after the heyday of them. They were referred to as Super Cars at the time by various magazines. Muscle car definitions are like buttholes everybody has one.

Reactions: Lurker123
21 - 40 of 47 Posts