Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a week ago, my husband drove my car to work, I went a picked it up and cel was on, it was idling real rough and it was sputtering out of the tail pipes. None of this before ever. Next day, started and tried to drive and it had a knock in the engine. Code was 3rd cylinder misfire..
Opened it up, both 3rd plugs had no gap, oil all over them, and weren't tight. Decided to check all 16. #7 had either broken or burnt off(see pic) tried using a magnet to find the piece, with no luck, so praying it isn't causing a problem. All but 2 plugs were loose and all but 6 plugs were incorrectly gapped. Regapped and tightened down. Pulled the driver's side voltage cover, cleaned and replaced the gaskets and put it all back together. Added an octane booster to the tank and fired it up. After getting to temp the knock was lessening so I decided to take it on the road and see what happens. A half block away, check engine light returned, as well as, brake, air bag and tcm lights on, and no rpms at all. Was barely giving it any gas because it didn't feel right. Idk what I did wrong or what may have happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
1595699180086978083784937670302.jpg

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,052 Posts
I'd do two things 1st, compression test on all of the cylinders & if you have access to a bore scope (can get for less than $25 that will work with phone & pc) & look in the cylinders & see what kind of damage you have. I'm afraid you may be looking at pulling the heads for repair at the least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd do two things 1st, compression test on all of the cylinders & if you have access to a bore scope (can get for less than $25 that will work with phone & pc) & look in the cylinders & see what kind of damage you have. I'm afraid you may be looking at pulling the heads for repair at the least.
Thank you. I can't go anywhere atm. Knew I should've bought a tester yesterday. Any idea why this all started out of nowhere? I wasn't having any issues, no cil etc.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,052 Posts
My 1st guess is the plugs should have been changed a long time ago & the electrode fell off & scarred the cylinder walls/pistons & whatever else they came in contact with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced them all last year, somewhere between August and November. I used high end iridium plugs, so there shouldn't have been a need for replacement yet.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,567 Posts
I replaced them all last year, somewhere between August and November. I used high end iridium plugs, so there shouldn't have been a need for replacement yet.
It would be helpful to know what year and model hemi you have.

·
Administrator
55,567 Posts
Sorry, it's a 2011 5.7 hemi rt
Is it auto or manual? How long have you owned it. I believe the copper core plugs seem to work better in the earlier 5.7s not saying that is the problem.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
My reaction is some kind of major internal problem. Something caused the spark plug to break apart. My guess would be dropped valves but I’d also try to get a bore scope in to take a look

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,052 Posts
Something definitely wrong if you replaced last year with iridium. Looks like a lean burn for the end to melt off like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, it's a 2011 5.7 hemi rt
Is it auto or manual? How long have you owned it. I believe the copper core plugs seem to work better in the earlier 5.7s not saying that is the problem.
It's both. I only drive it auto tho. I've had it about 2 years. The guy who had it before me drove it rough. It had copper in it when I changed them but everyone seems to think they won't hold up or as long so that's the reason I swapped to iridium.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My reaction is some kind of major internal problem. Something caused the spark plug to break apart. My guess would be dropped valves but I’d also try to get a bore scope in to take a look
Thank you. Yes I'm going to try to find 1 once a ride gets here.

·
Administrator
55,567 Posts
It's both. I only drive it auto tho. I've had it about 2 years. The guy who had it before me drove it rough. It had copper in it when I changed them but everyone seems to think they won't hold up or as long so that's the reason I swapped to iridium.
You might check and see if the timing chain recall was done.

·
Administrator
55,567 Posts
Would that do this? Is there a recent enough recall?
It can cause parts failure although the failure seems to happen suddenly and at speed but I don't know that if that is always the case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It can cause parts failure although the failure seems to happen suddenly and at speed but I don't know that if that is always the case.
Well one of my major problems with all this is that I wasn't driving when this could've happened. I listen very closely to my car,I can hear even little things over the stereo, but my husband drove it that morning and my guess is it gave a warning of some sort and also guess he drove it hard. He said no sounds, rough idle or lights were on when he drove it but when I got in it, all of what I described was there 🙄

·
Administrator
55,567 Posts
Well one of my major problems with all this is that I wasn't driving when this could've happened. I listen very closely to my car,I can hear even little things over the stereo, but my husband drove it that morning and my guess is it gave a warning of some sort and also guess he drove it hard. He said no sounds, rough idle or lights were on when he drove it but when I got in it, all of what I described was there 🙄
He broke it he gets to fix it.

Reactions: Dodgedude37
1 - 20 of 30 Posts