Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 rt challenger 6 speed, properly maintained, no mods, 19k miles. past two days i have had weird starting issues. i'm using the push button. first time, car had hard time starting, tried it again it started no problems. yesterday, started several times without issues throughout the day and then later i started it, it ran for a second and then shut off. no message lights. started it again and it was fine and was fine ever since - posted on another site and thoughts were issues with pcm, maybe remotes in battery. thoughts?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,616 Posts
Car Battery failing? Loose connection at battery or under hood?

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
Here's a weird thought. Is your fob in a pocket with a lot of other stuff that may be hitting your buttons. I've noticed that I can accidentally lock/unlock my car just by other keys getting against the buttons while it is in my pocket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a manual, so no remote start button on the fob - think i'll swap the batteries on the fob, probably something proactive i should do anyway

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Funny you should post this. I was about to create a new thread about something very similar that has happened to me.

Twice in the past two weeks, I got in my car and pressed the Start button. The car turned over and started but died a second later and kept the engine turning for another five seconds trying to start. I have an auto transmission. The first time, I tried several more times with the same result. I noticed the red light Alarm indicator located in the black area below the "F" on the fuel gauge would stay on. I waited about five minutes and tried once again. It started.

This morning, it happened again, and the Alarm red light was on as well. I took my foot off the brake and cycled (with the start button) through the accessory mode, ignition on, etc. Then, I put my foot on the brake and it started. The battery, in both instances, seemed to be cranking well. I just wonder if it is a fuel pump or spark issue that is behind it.

I know if I take it to the dealer they won't be able to replicate the issue and send me home. I guess I have to wait until the problem becomes permanent before they will figure it out, or even try.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't note any lights when i had my issues - wonder if the security system is part of your issue? and you're right, you take it to the shop and they'll say "looks ok to us". i now plan to video record with my phone every start so i can hopefully catch it if it happens again. major pain but not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '13 sxt auto has an issue where intermittently when I push the start button it will start and stall in less than 2 seconds. It will do this for as long as I push the button. If I take my foot off of the brake and cycle the ignition it starts right up. Happens once every few weeks. No dash lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just changed the fob battery, we'll see what happens. but the issue was so sporadic and out of nowhere, not sure how to know if it's fixed or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts