Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drained the fluid in the rear differential on my 10 Challenger R/T... It was disgusting. Not a hint of golden, pitch black and full of clutch material. I do drive hard, but I didn't expect the fluid to come out looking like it did. I'll be installing RP Max Gear 75-90 in the morning. just a word of caution for those of you with the limited slip differential following the factory recommended change intervals. pictures to follow.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,956 Posts
Changed mine in the SRT when I changed the tranny fluid at 25K...as long as it was on the lift-why not.....

·
Dazed & Confused
36,567 Posts
I don't have the limited slip on mine but I bought the RP 75W140 last week for when I have the service done in a few weeks. I'll be close to the 50k mark.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Good information! I changed my R/T's power train to all synthetics at about 16,000 miles and the rear diff fluid looked similar to what you described. Yes I do regular maintenance and sometime drive it like I stole it, LOL!

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, how do I delete attachments? I can't upload any more.

Got the rear diff topped off this morning before work. Took almost 2 quarts.
Will be replacing the factory fluid in the 6 speed with RP Synchromax this weekend.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
damn, how do I delete attachments? I can't upload any more.

Got the rear diff topped off this morning before work. Took almost 2 quarts.
Will be replacing the factory fluid in the 6 speed with RP Synchromax this weekend.
You can't delete previously uploaded attachments.You can increase your capacity by becoming a site supporter or use a site like photobucket to upload pics to the Z.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Just drained the fluid in the rear differential on my 10 Challenger R/T... It was disgusting. Not a hint of golden, pitch black and full of clutch material. I do drive hard, but I didn't expect the fluid to come out looking like it did. I'll be installing RP Max Gear 75-90 in the morning. just a word of caution for those of you with the limited slip differential following the factory recommended change intervals. pictures to follow.
This has been a real thorn in my side that had me calling everyone I could some years back at Chrysler. Chris...just show me....ANYWHERE....where Chrysler says what the intervals are for rear-end fluid changes!!!!! They say when to LOOK at it....by the same high school kid the dealership has doing their oil changes...and let him decide if it LOOKS to him that it might need changing....but no mileage "change it" recommended ANYWHERE!!!!:shakehead: Anyway...GOOD imfo on this post buddy!!:smileup:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,418 Posts
This has been a real thorn in my side that had me calling everyone I could some years back at Chrysler. Chris...just show me....ANYWHERE....where Chrysler says what the intervals are for rear-end fluid changes!!!!! They say when to LOOK at it....by the same high school kid the dealership has doing their oil changes...and let him decide if it LOOKS to him that it might need changing....but no mileage "change it" recommended ANYWHERE!!!!:shakehead: Anyway...GOOD imfo on this post buddy!!:smileup:
Dan, this has caught my attention too. I didn't see anything in my owner's manual about when to change these out. Can you give my the time line again? I am planning on keeping my car at this point, so I sure would like to keep her running smooth.

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Dan, this has caught my attention too. I didn't see anything in my owner's manual about when to change these out. Can you give my the time line again? I am planning on keeping my car at this point, so I sure would like to keep her running smooth.
There IS a recommended transmission fluid change out that most have agreed that is the best time to do the rear-end fluid change-out at that time if you have the non limited slip rear-end. |If however you have the 6-speed...or you have the automatic transmission with the optional limited slip rear-end (rare)...I wouldn't go more that 25K if it was my call.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,418 Posts
I have a file with all my service work in it. I put a sticky note on my last service record, so I won't forget to get this done. Thanks again, Dan!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a similar note: I just replaced the stock ATF+4 that comes in the 6 speed with Royal Purple Synchromax. It does make a noticeable difference. IMHO some of the 'notchyness' between 1-2,2-3 is dimished, seems a little quieter in neutral with the clutch out, and it should run cooler.
Make sure you have a fluid transfer pump ($5 on amazon), and a good set of ramps. I could barely fit under due to the low profile ramps I have.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Thanks for the tip...I'm coming up on 25K soon. :smileup:

·
Registered
732 Posts
The owner's manual only states to inspect the rear axle fluid, they do not say anything about changing it. They say to change the manual transmission fluid at 96,000 miles or 160,000 km. I have 51,000 km on my car and and I checked both and the fluids are still looking great. I will monitor every engine oil change and when it gets dirty I will change it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's cheap insurance to upgrade the fluids in my opinion. A lot of 6 speed owners, myself included now, have experienced positive results when switching to synchromax in the trans.
I often wonder if my original diff would have failed (due to overheating) if I had swapped to RP initially.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
looks like this is going at the top of my maintenance list! now just to tell the wife i need to spend about another 150 bucks to change these fluids out... Did y'all notice much better shifting and response after upgrading?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can DIY it for a lot less than $150, the pump you'll need is less than $20 at most auto parts places.
It's not going to feel like a new transmission, but it will improve lubrication and heat dissipation.
Make sure you change the diff fluid also.

Reactions: friendoffur
1 - 19 of 19 Posts