Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My 2012 started overheating last night. It's only got 21k miles on it, and I bought it brand new. After I let the car sit over night, I added antifreeze to it because there was about a 1/2" in the coolant container... :SHOCKED:

I drove it about 50yds and it started over heating again..

No leaks, so I'm assuming the thermostat might be the issue?

How can I go about fixing this myself without having to have it towed to the dealership (still under warranty). I don't have a clue what I'm doing

I tried searching for the answers, but they pertained to other years and models.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
A thermostat is one of the easier do-it-urself fixes.
Follow the top radiator hose from the radiator to the motor. Where the hose meets the motor is a cast aluminum housing that sits over and contains the thermostat.
There are two bolts that hold the housing to the block.
Be sure the car is cold. DO NOT attempt to remove the thermostat if car is not completely cold.
Probably have to remove the air intake tube (a couple of radiator-type clamps that hold the tube to the throttle body and filter housing.
With those two items removed you'll be looking at the thermostat housing.
You shouldn't have to remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
Just remove the two bolts that hold the housing to the block and the housing will lift up exposing the thermostat. You will probably lose some coolant from the upper hose - just use a large zip lock bag to capture it unless you don't care if it drains down into the belly pan.
The thermostat just sits in the block - there is a recess it fits into. Pull up on it and pop it out...note the orientation of the thermostat. The spring goes into the block - be sure you install the new on the same way.

Install new thermostat - be sure there is the rubber gasket that fits around the perimeter of the T-stat. You may have to remove it from the old one and use it on the new one.
Install T-stat into the block with the spring side into the block, place the housing over the T-stat and install the bolts. Don't reef on them too hard or you could snap them off - just make sure they are good and snug. Tighten down each side gradually alternating from bolt to bolt.
Reinstall air inlet tube and fire it up. It'll have to run for a bit to get hot and burp the system. You'll probably need to add coolant.
When coolant level is up to where it should be and you don't have leaks, take it for a spirited drive!! Check coolant level again when you get back.
I found a pic that shows the T-stat cover under the air inlet tube. Follow the radiator hose and you'll see it.

This is usually a half hour job with a beer break.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A thermostat is one of the easier do-it-urself fixes.
Follow the top radiator hose from the radiator to the motor. Where the hose meets the motor is a cast aluminum housing that sits over and contains the thermostat.
There are two bolts that hold the housing to the block.
Be sure the car is cold. DO NOT attempt to remove the thermostat if car is not completely cold.
Probably have to remove the air intake tube (a couple of radiator-type clamps that hold the tube to the throttle body and filter housing.
With those two items removed you'll be looking at the thermostat housing.
You shouldn't have to remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
Just remove the two bolts that hold the housing to the block and the housing will lift up exposing the thermostat. You will probably lose some coolant from the upper hose - just use a large zip lock bag to capture it unless you don't care if it drains down into the belly pan.
The thermostat just sits in the block - there is a recess it fits into. Pull up on it and pop it out...note the orientation of the thermostat. The spring goes into the block - be sure you install the new on the same way.

Install new thermostat - be sure there is the rubber gasket that fits around the perimeter of the T-stat. You may have to remove it from the old one and use it on the new one.
Install T-stat into the block with the spring side into the block, place the housing over the T-stat and install the bolts. Don't reef on them too hard or you could snap them off - just make sure they are good and snug. Tighten down each side gradually alternating from bolt to bolt.
Reinstall air inlet tube and fire it up. It'll have to run for a bit to get hot and burp the system. You'll probably need to add coolant.
When coolant level is up to where it should be and you don't have leaks, take it for a spirited drive!! Check coolant level again when you get back.
I found a pic that shows the T-stat cover under the air inlet tube. Follow the radiator hose and you'll see it.

This is usually a half hour job with a beer break.

Awesome directions thank you. Now where can I find a thermostat? And am I looking for a 195?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I'm not sure what the factory T-stat is, sorry. I would think the dealer would have the correct part. I wouldn't expect it to be more than $20 at a dealer. I'm sure it would be cheaper at Advance, Napa, Autozone etc, but I've heard the outside dimensions may not be an exact fit with after market parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what the factory T-stat is, sorry. I would think the dealer would have the correct part. I wouldn't expect it to be more than $20 at a dealer. I'm sure it would be cheaper at Advance, Napa, Autozone etc, but I've heard the outside dimensions may not be an exact fit with after market parts.
Alright. It's still under warranty so I will probably just have them come tow it to the lot and to at least inspect to see what all the issues are including the thermostat. Thanks a lot for your help

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
No problem, always glad to help. As long as it's under warranty that's probably your best bet - maybe not the fastest though. It could be something other than the T-stat too....water pump or radiator...it's worth it to have it looked at under warranty.
I hope they can get you squared away and back on the road quickly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts