Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 3700 miles and noticed the Check Engine light comes on. Did Dodge put some sort of thing in the car's program to turn that on to remind you to change your oil?

My wife's Honda had this feature (really annoying). I like to do my own oil change and never plan on having the dealership charge me $30+ to do something so easy.

I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) and the CAI has been installed for the last 1000 miles, so I figure it can't be that.

Thanks for any info . . .

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Your check engine light shouldn't come on indicating an oil change is needed. That is a seperate notice that shows up in the space where your odometer is.
Check to see what - if any - codes are present that are related to the CEL. You can read the codes if you have a tuner. If you don't have a tuner you can check the codes by following this procedure....see TIP #1 in link below....
http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/Top%20Challenger%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.htm#CHR3c75cef8a81610048b50ff24afeea742

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank, jklotz10 . . . that site was very helpful in getting that code (God, I love you guys!!!).

Now the question, what does P0520

- Powertrain
- SAE
- Vehicle Speed Control Idle Control System
- And then "20" falls under the "0-99" Fault)

I'm assuming this falls under my Cold Air Intake? And I'm also assuming that my Challenger doesn't like my K&N CAI?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Code P0520 refers to Engine Oil Pressure Sensor / Switch Circuit malfunction.

Possible causes...

Low oil level or motor mechanical fault
- Faulty oil pressure sensor
- Oil Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Oil Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Looking at your post it appears you did your own oil change. This may be the problem (or part of the problem). I'm not saying you don't know how to change oil but please bear with me....

The 5.7 HEMI drinks 7 quarts of oil....are you sure you have the legal amount in there?
Also, thnese motors are sensitive to the viscosity.
I'm not so sure it's as much of a problem with the 6 speed cars, but the auto trans cars have MDS and I've heard that the engine NEEDS the 5w20 to operate correctly.
Consult your Owner's manual ansd be sure you used the correct viscosity and quantity when doing the oil change.

Otherwise there could be an issue with a electrical connection to your oil sensor or the sensor itself is bad.

·
Premium Member
21,676 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense taken on the comment about me doing my own oil change. I'd rather be told if I did something stupid or else having to pay something high (& stupid) to get it fixed.

I used the oil that it recommended. I was told that if you use different oil, it gets all freaky. Also, (at least I thought I did) I put enough oil that it was in between the two marks on the dipstick.

So, to confirm, this has nothing to do with the Cold Air Intake, right? I ask because I have a date with the dealership on Wednesday and I know they are going to go the "You installed the after market intake and that's the problem" speech. Plus, this is possibly costing me $145 if it's my own fault (unless it's a Dodge issue then they take the cost), but knowing how dealerships think (I used to file for a service dept at Toyota), an easy $145 would give them some cool "spiffs" for about 30 seconds of work.

By the way, if we ever have a Challenger Forumz Softball tourney . . . I'm buying the beer. . . (limit 20 people, hee hee).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, after the visit with the dealership . . . it's all good now. Turns out it was the Oil Pressure Sensor that went bad and replaced under warranty. I asked the guy if this was a Technical Service Bulletin issue and he said no, but went on to say that they've done about 300 so far.

So if one dealership has done about 300 in the past, wouldn't that qualify for a TSB?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got the same code in my Challenger. The dealer just did an oil change about two weeks ago and I had them put in
100 % synthetic with the proper weight 5w20. Been good for about two or three weeks and then the light came on checked the code it was the good ol p0520 code so I'm in the same boat I guess. I hope switching to synthetic didn't screw things up. On a side note it was the dealers oil and they said the switch would be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts