Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. Friends 5.7 - 06 Charger has a check engine light. After clearing it, the light will reoccurring in a week or about 100 miles. Several independent service shops can't find the cause. They claim it's an interment problem. Any ideas?

·
What's Old is New Again!
36,799 Posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. Friends 5.7 - 06 Charger has a check engine light. After clearing it, the light will reoccurring in a week or about 100 miles. Several independent service shops can't find the cause. They claim it's an interment problem. Any ideas?
What is the numerical code? And what has been tried so far?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Gas Cap? LOL. Remember I drive an SRT.
County emissions checks that before OBD2 test. Gas Cap Passed.

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
But if you don't close it tight after refueling it will throw a code. Just a thought is all. Happened to me before.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are more helpful than my friend is concerned. I'm waiting for the code too. I believe an evap valve has been replace. Here in NWI you can't buy licence plates if you don't pass the emission test. She'll learn.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
49,520 Posts
Check over on the ChargerZ , there are quite a few threads about this, some were a hose had to be replaced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Code is P0456

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. If the cap wasn't properly tightened would also cause the code (usually the case). Any of the following could also be the cause:

A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses.
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the help. It's up to her now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You're not going to like what I am about to tell you. Get your pocket book out.

My wife has an 08 Charger when she started getting that same problem at about 56k on the ticker. After numerous trips to O'Reilly's to clear the code, I finally purchased a gas cap from the dealer.

No help, code came back.

Went to the dealer after a few days and asked them to clear the code after explaining to them what I did previously. Service advisor I have been working with for other repairs told me to stop by some morning and he would personally clear it for me. I did. He couldn't after about 30 minutes.

So he asked if I could come back and he would get a tech to look at it. No problem. Stopped back at the time he suggested and got the car right in. About 30 minutes later, another advisor came to me and said they needed to do more checking but that it would cost. Well, I needed to get this resolved because her plates were due to expire and we needed to get an emissions test to get tags, so I said go for it.

I sat in the waiting room for nearly two hours as they worked that car over. Fortunately, I was able to watch the whole process. Let me tell ya, that tech tore apart the Charger to find the problem. Both rear wheels came off... the right rear inner fender came off... the back seat came off (which I found out was the only way to access the tank to replace the pump if it failed). He ran smoke thru the system. He used vacuum to test for the leak.

He found it after about 2 hours. It was a leak in the hose that runs from the tank to the evap box located above the right rear tire. The leak was in a bend in the hose that rubbed up against a part of the car, something that no one would have seen doing normal inspections.

Here's the hard part....

You can't replace just the hose. They had to replace the gas tank as well as the hose that was damaged as it is part of the tank and cannot be replaced by itself. The tank is a saddle tank.

$1207 to fix the leak. :Wow1:

Seeing how I needed to speak to the wife first, they buttoned it up and then was able to clear the code. But they weren't sure how long it would be before the system flashed another error. Turned out it was just long enough for me to get the emissions test done for new tags.

And then I called Chrysler. After a few phone calls and some help from the service manager, Chrysler picked up $1,000 of the repair bill. I tried to get them to pick up the cost to find the problem but they wouldn't budge on that (another $95). I can't guarantee you will be as lucky but this is what you need to expect.

Good luck is all I can say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts