Check Engine light question

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Ron Bower, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Ron Bower

Ron Bower New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    My car has been at the dealer since Monday, So far they say it's some type of input shaft that needs to be replaced, it's a $900.00 part and I'm told is a six hour job to replace it. I was supposed to have it back yesterday but they are saying they have another problem and need time with it.

The service manager told me I am on the hook for just the $100.00 deductible in the service plan I purchased. I looked over the plan I bought and it was $3200.00 for the term of the financing.

I also have a rental car in the plan, they gave me Jeep Cherokee. I am missing my Challenger, Ive only owned the car a few months but it's painful going back to driving something with less power I find myself talking to the car as I'm trying to change lanes on the highway, Like "Come on Come on" This jeep feels light as a feather and very under powered compared to my R/T but of course it is..... I'm just surprised how different it is.

Prior to purchasing my R/T I drove a Kia Spectra for nine years. It was a big jump up to the Hemi 5.7 R/T I can't ever see myself going back. But I would absolutely consider the 2017 AWD Challenger G/T for winter driving :)

Ron

2. corvettedude

corvettedude New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Hey guys I wanted to chime in here with some questions and some answers. I have had this problem 3 times and the weird part is they all involved water. My first experience was back in December driving in heavy rain and it felt like my car popped out of gear while going about 50mph. It would rev it up and it just felt like the tranny was slipping and auto stick wasn't working, but no Check Engine Light. Luckily made it home and the next day all was fine drove with no issues. I had washed the car numerous times between the first incident and the second with no problems. Then about a month ago I swung by the local car wash one night to give it a quick spray off and my friend was just going to wait in the car so I left it running. After I sprayed it off when I shifted into D I felt it shift in really hard extremely hard and when I pulled out we were stuck in first gear, no auto stick and the CEL came on shortly after that. I was within a few miles of the Dodge dealership so we limped it over in first gear and left it. They determined I needed a valve body and it was just coincidence about the water. But for those of you with no warranty wondering about a price it would've been about 900. Anyways car came back and was great until today I was driving in a severe thunderstorm and after about 15 or 20 minutes of hard rain, really hard rain you guessed it stuck in first gear with a CEL on. However this time after parking it for about 15 minutes I fired it up and shifting fine and running fine but I still have a CEL on. I am not concerned about getting a new valve body or any pricing I luckily can get that taken care of but I was just wondering if any of you guys have these issues in the rain?? What is it about water causing my transmission problems many people seem to have this problem but none of them mention anything about it happening with exposure to water?? Minor rain doesn't seem to bother it but the hard vicious downpours and the carwash's power blast seems to do something to it, the carwash blast doesn't bother it unless its running. Its a toy not a daily and I have other wheels to get me around, but I really don't want a car I can't drive in the rain. Any thoughts??

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. nunya

nunya Jeff MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Almost sounds like there is a electrical plug getting moisture into it, maybe shorting it out. Hope you get it figured out.

baggerjack likes this.
  4. Ron Bower

Ron Bower New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    My Dealer called the part a shaft and then said something about a valve body. They had the car for a week and it's been fine since. I asked if I could have the part they replaced and said they were returned for credit and would have to charge me for them if I wanted them back. The part was $926.00

I had no issues with water making the problem occur.

Ron

nunya likes this.
  5. nunya

nunya Jeff MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Good thing is they fixed it. Miles of smiles brother.

6. corvettedude

corvettedude New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Thanks for the reply guys and sorry i havent replied back, but the car is still at the dealer so no new news, been there 2 weeks :( . I'll be sure to update whens its back.

7. corvettedude

corvettedude New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    hey gang car is back. The tcm was replaced and something else, unfortunately they called my dad instead of me so the tcm was all he could remember them saying and he went and picked up my keys for me, he is friends with the guys at the dealership. So when I get a chance to talk to the guys at the shop I will be sure to give more details my dads reply was, "I don't know what else they did, its fixed whats it matter". lol Drove it in some rain today and didn't give me any problems, but it wasn't a downpour like the last time.
    Now if only this "hemi tick " would go away, any suggestions. Is it really normal?