Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I really need your help. My 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T got some new rims. 8x20 on the front and 10x20 on the rear. went from 8x18 all around. As soon as the new rims went on I kept getting this "Check TPM System alarm on my EVIC. Its really annoying. I went to Big O Tires (where I got the rims) at least 5 times to get them to deal with it since it was fine when my other rims were on it. After a while they just said, "Its not our stuff, its fine. Its reading the sensors so it has to be the car." Well, then I went to the dealership. There, they cleared the code, and it came back shortly after. I went back to the dealership and they did it again, same thing. Then they replaced the TPM module (not the tire sensor but the actual module.) or that's what they said. so 3rd time there. Now after driving for maybe a week or 2, It has come back. I have a video of what is happening. The EVIC comes up with "Check TPM System" and the TPMS light comes on. But all sensors are lit and functioning correctly. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with this? My dealership is retarded, and I hate them with a passion. The guys at Big O tires who did my rim install don't even acknowledge me anymore and act like they don't even know me. I am half tempted to drive out of state to actually find a dealership I actually wanna deal with... But please guys, help me... Anything at all?

Video of the problem first hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSTT03tQSWY&feature=youtu.be

Also, The TPMS light will flash until it eventually goes solid. yet the error will not change.

Also the rims i have on my car are american racing torq thrust m's

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,761 Posts
Did Big O switch your sensors from your factory wheels or did they replace them?

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
They did not, I bought new sensors for a summer and winter set of tires.
Did you buy the sensors from MOPAR ? If from MOPAR, what were the part numbers ? If you bought some generic sensors they will not work properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the guy at Big O tires said he called dodge corporate and he was told that they were fine. but since as you can see in the video, all 4 sensors are working correctly, I dont know what else to do.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Strange problem for sure. I just learned something about TPMS this week that surprised me. Albeit on my wife's Honda civic. According to the manual the system doesn't actually monitor the pressure of the tire. It creates a baseline for various characteristics over thirty minutes of driving between 30-60mph and then monitors for variations in those values. Seemed strange to me but maybe it is some other issue with the system besides the sensor or pressure.

Any clue if or system works similarly?

·
Registered
22 Posts
TPMS is a pain in the ass... We can all blame Ford and Firestone for this crap...

I watched your video. The flashing tpms light indicates a communication error of some kind. I have fixed lots of similar issues at my shop. Sometimes the car just cant sort out which wheel is which. First I would use a tpms analyzer tool to read each sensor to test if it is working, and to record all four sensor IDs. Then i would hook up the shop computer and manually reprogram each of the sensor ids and locations. Clear codes and go for a short test drive. That would normally fix this issue quick and easy. HOWEVER some after market sensors are just plain buggy. If that procedure failed to fix the issue I would look at returning the aftermarket sensors and getting the proper OEM sensors. I'm not saying that aftermarket sensors are bad. In fact some of the updated OEM sensors don't work well with older vehicles, and aftermarket sensors are needed for same reason.

I have had the experience of trying to get aftermarket sensors to work, and by all indications, the sensors were not bad or broken. No matter how many times i went through procedures they just would not !#[email protected]# work with the car. The problem went away as soon as OEM sensors were installed. Most of the tpms i have had to fix have been for compass and patriots. Except the difference is Chrysler updated the replacement tpms parts. The updated mopar sensors just would not work, not matter how many times I went through the procedures of programming. As soon as we tried aftermarket sensors the problem was fixed.

Good Luck!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
I found more info that may or not help you out. This is from the service cd.

22 - Tires and Wheels / Tire Pressure Monitoring / SENSOR, Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) / Caution

CAUTION:The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system has been optimized for the original equipment tires and wheels. TPM system pressures have been established for the tire size equipped on the vehicle. Undesirable system operation or sensor damage may result when using replacement equipment that is not of the same size, type, or style. Aftermarket wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not use aftermarket tire sealants or balance beads if your vehicle is equipped with TPM, as damage to the sensors may result.

CAUTION:Do not attempt to install a tire pressure sensor in an aftermarket wheel. Use tire pressure sensors in original style factory wheels only. If aftermarket wheels are installed, and therefore do not contain tire pressure sensors, the system will not function properly and the driver will be continuously notified of a system malfunction.

CAUTION:After inspecting or adjusting the tire pressure always reinstall the valve stem cap. This will prevent moisture and dirt from entering the valve stem, which could damage the Tire Pressure Sensor.

CAUTION:Tire pressure sensor valve stem caps and cores are specially designed for the sensors. Due to risk of corrosion, do not use a standard valve stem cap or core in a tire pressure sensor in place of the original equipment style sensor cap and core.

CAUTION:Any time a sensor is to be installed in a wheel, it is necessary to install a new sensor-to-wheel seal, metal washer and valve stem nut, to ensure air tight sealing.

CAUTION:When installing the valve core, be sure to tighten the core to specifications (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels/Wheels - Specifications) . Overtightening by a little as three or four inch pounds can damage the sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts