Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it's not the end of the world, but with less than 700 miles on the odometer, scuffing my spoiler on a curb seemed like it. LOL

I thought about using a fine-grit wet/dry sanding block to reduce the rash. Anyone else experience this? What did you do to successfully minimize the appearance of minor damage like this? Your input is appreciated.

IMG_2891.jpeg

·
What's Old is New Again!
38,355 Posts
Try a 400 WET with soapy water. May take a little more elbow grease, but should work fine. Try using a block. Sand just in the area of the damage to minimize taking the texture off the spoiler.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,936 Posts
Try a 400 WET with soapy water. May take a little more elbow grease, but should work fine. Try using a block. Sand just in the area of the damage to minimize taking the texture off the spoiler.
Yeah it is so low if you get it smoothed out it won't be that noticeable.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I did the same thing to mine. I scraped up the nose a little. Sanded it down where the scuff was. Looks good now. One thing I did learn though. I will NEVER pull into a spot anymore with a curb. When this happens I back in from now on. I know you are pretty upset right now, I was going ballistic when I did mine. But dont let it get to you. Everything will be ok. Just make sure your patient and take your time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heat gun set on high should take that out. go slow applying heat as needed. If you have a something similar to practice on to get the feel like the lower air dam on an other (less prized vehicle) all the better.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,187 Posts
I've bumped into a high curb as well last summer. I took a single edged razor blade and shaved down the high spots and then dry sanded with 320 and finished sanding with 400 grit. I then blended it in with a rag soaked with MEK which you can find at any hardware store (wear rubber gloves rated for solvents). MEK evaporates off fairly quickly (unlike many solvents) and will smooth the plastic even further. An added benefit is that it also will make the sanded area's shade of black match the undamaged area's adjacent to where you sanded.

I'd not recommend the use of a heat gun as it is extremely difficult to control that large a nozzle pattern. You really don't want to risk ruining the spoiler and having to remove the front bumper cover to remove and install a new one.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Sorry that happened to your baby, but that can be fixed so it isn't noticeable, I've scuffed mine a couple of times.

I have actually torn the second piece back behind that chin spoiler it is called the wind valance, it's pretty common for that piece to get damaged.

Found the OEM replacement at Mopar Parts Online, it was $104.98, I thought that was reasonable even though it is nothing but plastic. Put it in the shopping cart and went to checkout and they wanted $236.00 to ship it to me!

I was livid! Not going to happen! :mad:

I do not see how they even try to justify what they are charging for shipping something that doesn't even weigh 5 lbs, found one on Ebay about the same price, with free shipping. ;)

Reactions: DodgeDude

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,187 Posts
Sorry that happened to your baby, but that can be fixed so it isn't noticeable, I've scuffed mine a couple of times.

I have actually torn the second piece back behind that chin spoiler it is called the wind valance, it's pretty common for that piece to get damaged.

Found the OEM replacement at Mopar Parts Online, it was $104.98, I thought that was reasonable even though it is nothing but plastic. Put it in the shopping cart and went to checkout and they wanted $236.00 to ship it to me!

I was livid! Not going to happen! :mad:

I do not see how they even try to justify what they are charging for shipping something that doesn't even weigh 5 lbs, found one on Ebay about the same price, with free shipping. ;)
My local Dodge dealer only charges item price and ads tax. Freight you don't have to pay for at a dealer...even on truck freight-sized items.;)

Reactions: DodgeDude

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
My local Dodge dealer only charges item price and ads tax. Freight you don't have to pay for at a dealer...even on truck freight-sized items.;)
Thanks I'll remember that! :)

Reactions: Derecho

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,643 Posts
Okay, so it's not the end of the world, but with less than 700 miles on the odometer, scuffing my spoiler on a curb seemed like it. LOL

I thought about using a fine-grit wet/dry sanding block to reduce the rash. Anyone else experience this? What did you do to successfully minimize the appearance of minor damage like this? Your input is appreciated.

View attachment 193434
You can do this yourself, or get a quote from BumperDocs if you have one in your area. They specialize in this kind of repair, and from what your photo shows, it shouldn't run all that much. Check online for a BumperDocs Groupon that could save you even more $$ if you decide to go that route.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts