Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I tried to talk to Chrysler a while back about the rust issues and got a letter back that was.... corporate generic.
Now I have the dreaded lifter failure knock and Chrysler is trying to tell me my 2009 doesn't have a lifetime powertrain warrantee which it specifically tells me on my window sticker that I still have. I even got attitude from the representative who could only say that its not what she sees on her screen. If they don't cover this I may have to leave this car behind which is a damn shame because my daughter grew up in this car.

Another snag when I called a dealership near me is you have to get the powertrain inspected specifically ever 5 years.... of course my dealership never told me that or gave me any paperwork eluding to that. So I bet their play was to keep the customer ignorant so they can't fulfill their obligations and Chrysler can duck out of coverage. Hoops. Meanwhile I have extensive paperwork detailing all the maintenance and care I payed for this car, never missed an oil change, full synthetic, never beat on.

I don't know guys, they really seems to give two shits about their customers. I have a manager calling me back but I already know it's not going anywhere. Should I get my lawyer involved? So sad they can't just talk to us like Human Beings.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
59,355 Posts
I do remember people having to have their cars inspected at intervals, so that part is accurate. If it is stated in the owners manual or paperwork that came with the car I don't know. You can check on pending lawsuits but I would not hire a lawyer because I don't think you have much of a chance.

Reactions: Classic Lover

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
38,086 Posts
I've had the inspection done twice on mine. It's due again in February of 2024. As far as I know the inspection is a joke as all I'm aware they do is put it on a lift & look. It's also a very specific window when the inspection has to be performed. I believe within 30 days before the date the car was bought every 5 years.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,512 Posts
Chrysler has corporate lawyers that would make you look fanatical, and turn it around and blame you for it all. Media backing may be an approach but you would need others with similar failures to ban together. Chrysler will not be openly admitting any fault you can rest assured of that, it usually takes someone getting killed to get enough attention anyway.

IMO, it is probably not even worth it to pursue and if it was my car I would just fix it myself if it was that important to me. Which I have already done a couple of times as one service department I have dealt with are incompetent idiots, don't know exactly where they were trained, but probably just got their certification from a vending machine.

Don't get me wrong I care about my Challenger, and I can understand your frustration, but that is why I fix what I can myself, because I don't trust them to do it! Ry

Reactions: FOSSS

·
Registered
2020 Redeye WB
170 Posts
While I think they prob did sell/give you that warranty I also think youre right, no inspections will be their way out. Good luck but I wouldnt spend more money on a lawyer.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,168 Posts
Rather than taking a confrontational approach, check to see if your case can be assigned to an arbitrator. Many corporations are amenable to this method and an arbitrator can usually arrive at a resolution acceptable to both parties. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Just curious how many miles on your car? Any results you get with a lawyer will likely be canceled out by his fees.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
38,086 Posts
His lifetime warrenty died when he missed the 1st 5 year inspection. I'd have to look but I think it was covered in the the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,774 Posts
Very few car companies are going to want to cover a 13 year old car. Warranty or no. Time to trade.

Reactions: industrialmodels2

·
Registered
418 Posts
Very few car companies are going to want to cover a 13 year old car. Warranty or no. Time to trade.
While I agree 100 percent, they should not tell consumers that they have a lifetime warranty then add stipulations buried in the manual.

I’m more old school and my word is my bond. I still do business on a handshake. Unfortunately it seems this is going out of style.🤔

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,774 Posts
While I agree 100 percent, they should not tell consumers that they have a lifetime warranty then add stipulations buried in the manual.

I’m more old school and my word is my bond. I still do business on a handshake. Unfortunately it seems this is going out of style.🤔
Fair enough. And I do not disagree. And I operate the same as you. Unfortunately, after 35 years in capital sales/service, I know that is not how companies operate. In defense of the well meaning people who sometimes put these programs in place, the next wave of management/consultants bastardize them in the pretense of "efficiency". Seen it over and over. And the consumer is nearly always the loser in the deal.

Reactions: Mr. LS

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car did not have these specific inspections, as I did not know about them but it does have 13 years of paperwork that shows a more than well cared for car. Lots has gone wrong and I never asked Dodge for a penny. This was a major bragging point of how reliable these engines are supposed to be, that the company stood by their product but it all seems to be buzz words and marketing jargon. It's a shame too because those of you who have been on this form for a long time know how loyal a Mopar guy I am. I really believed they would do the right thing here. 4 grand would be nothing to them but would mean a new life for my ride.

None of you are wrong. Even though I could get near free representation I would have no chance if they snuck it in the owners manual. (Which they didn't even give me and I had to go back for when I bought the car.... dealership is gone now) I am just sad to see it end like this I guess. I am loyal but not stupid. (mostly) I am strongly leaning toward a custom 5.7 with it's own warrantee. Place called Promar builds engines near me and they have quite a good reputation. 3300 for a new engine too, less than half a stock replacement but dynoed at over oem specs. Something to consider anyway.

Pretty much shot for this summer as far as driving it but what can you do. Thanks for the support. I know you are the only ones who get it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think 2009 was the only Challenger (as long as it wasn't an SRT) covered with the "lifetime" powertrain warranty and in 2010 they changed it to 5 years but made it transferable. Do you know if yours was ever transferable? I think who ever sold you the car, salesman and dealership, is more to blame than the manufacturer for not explaining how to keep your warranty in effect. It seems like a great ownership perk and they likely miscalculated just how many of these cars were likely to be kept long term but I can't see the benefit of keeping you ignorant at the dealership level. I had a lifetime rustproofing purchased from a Toyota dealership (Waxoyl) and they at least spelled out what was expected from me ... inspection, reapplication in vulnerable areas and a complimentary car wash (all no charge) done every 2 years within two months of anniversary date of initial application ( I think I got in 7 of these before Waxoyl and the dealership parted ways, van is 20+ and just starting to rust ). Not sure you'd win a court case though, I think there might be an out if it was a wall of text that you had scroll through in order to click agree on to getting something on line but I think upon delivery of a new vehicle you usually sign off on things being explained and documents given to you.
G. Inspections
InordertomaintaintheLifetimePowertrainLimited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Power- train Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspec- tion performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.
For your convenience, powertrain inspection logs have been provided. You should use these logs to keep track of each 5 year powertrain inspection interval.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Really I’d have never guessed, ask sirrus how their lifetime subscription worked for them when they tried to define the user’s lifetime.

To me dodge screwed up offering this, but they should step up and honor their commitment
Exactly. You should be able to not read the owner's manual, not read the warranty paperwork and 13 years later expect them to replace the engine. Totally reasonable and logical.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts