Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Exactly. You should be able to not read the owner's manual, not read the warranty paperwork and 13 years later expect them to replace the engine. Totally reasonable and logical.
Yep, if the guy has maintained the vehicle per recommendations,has records proving this and it is experiencing I known failure(lifters) that have nothing to do with anything but crappy parts at manufacturing and part of the sales pitch was lifetime powertrain warranty then I think dodge should step up.

Of course I think dodge knows they put out a bunch of engines with crap lifters and doesn’t care. If they had any integrity they would cover any lifter failure to 200000 miles for everyone.

I’m sure you think lifter failure is the customer’s fault, but lifters in any other brand are not a typical failure point, the hemi tick is all too real for lots of consumers

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Exactly. You should be able to not read the owner's manual, not read the warranty paperwork and 13 years later expect them to replace the engine. Totally reasonable and logical.
. I was never given any warranty paperwork of any kind and I never asked them to replace the whole engine, just fix it. Honestly you sound like a Camaro guy. Have a heart man.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I seem to remember a few years ago that Chrysler, Daimler, Cerberus, Fiat, Peugeot, the fry cook at McD's or whoever owned the company that day, decided to bail on their Lifetime Warranties by implementing a cut off date when the car became a certain age. Anyone else remember that?

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,768 Posts
I seem to remember a few years ago that Chrysler, Daimler, Cerberus, Fiat, Peugeot, the fry cook at McD's or whoever owned the company that day, decided to bail on their Lifetime Warranties by implementing a cut off date when the car became a certain age. Anyone else remember that?
I've seen that mentioned before. Can't remember if it was true though.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
326 Posts
There are 7 people who still own their Chryslers from that lifetime warranty era. A good faith effort to honor those warranties would go a long way for what little it would cost them.

·
Premium Member
20,664 Posts
I happen to have that Warranty on my son’s ‘09 R/T. Have never received any communication that the warranty is now limited in any way.
BTW, the car is still in my name because the warranty is not transferable.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
59,347 Posts
I happen to have that Warranty on my son’s ‘09 R/T. Have never received any communication that the warranty is now limited in any way.
BTW, the car is still in my name because the warranty is not transferable.
You have been doing the 5 year inspections right?

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Another one of the 7 here....
I also think there was a requirement to have the oil changed at least twice a year, or every so many miles - 5000/6000 maybe?. I've been getting mine changed every 6 months whether it needs it or not and been doing it at the dealer so it's recorded. Most of the time they give me a coupon price and costs about $50. I picked up mine in September, so I have LOFs done in March and Sept and have the 5-yr done at the Sept LOF when the time comes. Next one is in 2024.
And yeah, the "inspection" is nothing but records review and a cursory look at the car. As I understand it, the warranty only covers internal engine, transmission, etc parts and exludes normal wear and tear items, like the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. So it's very limited exposure on their part.
Bob

·
Registered
339 Posts
"I also think there was a requirement to have the oil changed at least twice a year, or every so many miles - 5000/6000 maybe?" Back in the old days when cars used to sit on dealers lots for up to a year I remember them taking extra precaution to ensure the oil was changed every 6 months regardless of mileage...best advice I ever got with purchasing extended warranties was to just put the money you would have spent in the bank in a cashable GIC and to use that for emergency repairs and if your car makes it through the warranty time period you've got a nice piece of change. The promise of an extended lifetime powertrain warranty seems almost to good to be true. Is there anyone with a positive experience ? Major repair after 7+ years actually covered that was somewhat unexpected for example...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts