Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a Class 3 trailer hitch on your Scat Pack with the active exhaust ?

I read that they will NOT fit our Challengers with the active exhaust

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,941 Posts
Pretty sure the owners manual says no hitch or towing.

My manual says "Trailer towing with this vehicle is NOT recommended."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re crushing my dreams, LOL:LOL:

Either way I would have bought it. This is the first vehicle I have owned in years that I love to drive.
My dealer did say the max towing 1000 lbs with a 350 lb tongue weight. My trailer is well under 400 lbs with the canoe.

They offered to install a class 3 hitch for $500. But I thought I would just do it myself and save some money, but when I started looking I found reviews stating they would not fit with the active exhaust.

So I thought I would ask if anyone had added a hitch.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
One of our club members put a hitch on his Challenger. The problem was not with the hitch, car, or pulling the load. The issue was slippery boat ramps. Especially at low tide when the back tires are on all the slippery gunk and the car just slips sideways trying to get up the ramp. Him and his wife wanted to keep the Challenger so, they traded in on a GT. Problem solved.
-John

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,941 Posts
You’re crushing my dreams, LOL:LOL:

Either way I would have bought it. This is the first vehicle I have owned in years that I love to drive.
My dealer did say the max towing 1000 lbs with a 350 lb tongue weight. My trailer is well under 400 lbs with the canoe.

They offered to install a class 3 hitch for $500. But I thought I would just do it myself and save some money, but when I started looking I found reviews stating they would not fit with the active exhaust.

So I thought I would ask if anyone had added a hitch.

Well, you can rely on your dealer if you want, but again, my manual. says no towing, so that means there is no 'limit' for the dealer to tell you.

And there is a big difference in total weight (1000 lbs ) and tongue weight (350 lbs), a 350 lb tongue weight sounds high as most trucks are only 500 lbs, and they are designed for towing, where as the challenger only has sheet metal to attach the hitch to, not a real frame.

·
Registered
2020 Gold Rush T/A 392 50th Anniversary, 66 of 70
120 Posts
I have read hitch reviews from 6.4L owners that it fit, but I don't remember if they had active exhaust. The 5.7 has a 1000 lb tow rating, what's different with the 6.4 that Dodge didn't give it a tow rating too? It can't be because of the active exhaust valves, right?

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Well, you can rely on your dealer if you want, but again, my manual. says no towing, so that means there is no 'limit' for the dealer to tell you.

And there is a big difference in total weight (1000 lbs ) and tongue weight (350 lbs), a 350 lb tongue weight sounds high as most trucks are only 500 lbs, and they are designed for towing, where as the challenger only has sheet metal to attach the hitch to, not a real frame.
Good fabrication skills cures all that. The frame of the GT the hitch was added on now contains about 80 pounds of gussets and square tubing. It took over 6 hours to fabricate and weld. After they got everything painted, he lifted the rear of the car off the ground with the forklift with a chain around the ball. There wasn't the slightest deflection of metal anywhere. Anybody ever rear-ends that Challenger, their vehicle will be destroyed. And of course I realize Joe & Sally Average are at the mercy of total junk commercially available hitches and Bozo installers such as U-Haul.
-John

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,941 Posts
Good fabrication skills cures all that. The frame of the GT the hitch was added on now contains about 80 pounds of gussets and square tubing. It took over 6 hours to fabricate and weld. After they got everything painted, he lifted the rear of the car off the ground with the forklift with a chain around the ball. There wasn't the slightest deflection of metal anywhere. Anybody ever rear-ends that Challenger, their vehicle will be destroyed. And of course I realize Joe & Sally Average are at the mercy of total junk commercially available hitches and Bozo installers such as U-Haul.
-John

Understand.................but lifiting UP by the hitch and putting weight constantly bouncing DOWN on the hitch are not the same thing.....

80 lbs of gussets.......that ate big time into the cargo capacity of the car too.....don't forget that.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,753 Posts
Sell it and get a truck...

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,232 Posts
Go to etrailer.com and see what is available for your car. Then go to the hitch manufacturer website to confirm fitment.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nothing Id be interesting in doing but.... i searched towing with a 6.4l challenger and this was the first result....

Can 2011 Dodge Challenger Tow 800 Lb Sea-Doo Fish Pro
Question:
I am looking to buy a sea doo fish pro which weights approx 800lbs will I be able to pull it in my 2011 challenger 6.4L with this hitch?
asked by: Brandon L
Checkmark Icon
Helpful Expert Reply:
According to the owner's manual, your Challenger is rated to tow a maximum of 1000 lbs, so if the total weight of your Sea Doo Fish Pro plus the weight of the trailer comes in under 1000 lbs, then the Draw-Tite Class III hitch you'd looked at, part # 76145 would work perfectly for you.

For a trailer wiring harness, use # 118404. You'll also need a ball mount with the proper amount of rise to place the trailer ball at the proper height so that the trailer tows so it's level. I'll link to a help article that explains how to determine the rise/drop ball mount you need.

I've linked to an installation video for the hitch you'd looked at.

helpful expert reply by: Mike L

·
Registered
368 Posts
The active exhaust is easy to remove if that is the only issue, I’d have no issue putting a hitch on and pulling a small trailer if I needed to. I’m surprised some here dident tell you it will void your warranty, that is really the catch all they love to throw out.

Put on a hitch pull your canoe enjoy life, if the valves are in the way remove them they serve no purpose anyway

1 - 20 of 24 Posts