Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,941 Posts
Somehow, we got off my original question.

I don't buy all of that, maybe the independent rear but that's good for gobs of toque, my wife's Santa Fe's towing capacity is 900 Pound tongue weight and 6000 lbs towing, and NO the wife is not driving my car when I head north to camp. She would be uninsurable in a weekend. LOL

Im not looking to tow a heavy load, and there are a lot of cars that are unibody that come with factory tow packages.

I used to see someone with a Hellcat with IL plates, towing about an 18' camper, felt like I saw him every time I headed north out or Milwaukee WI. That is not what I was looking to do.

You are correct...but none of them have IRS....unless you put on air shocks, the IRS will sag badly all the time when the trailer is connected, which means even less suspension travel in back.

You're gonna do what you want anyway, so why ask ? The manual says not to, and many here have said it's a bad idea, and even given you reasons.................

Yes, you can do it, but the chassis is NOT designed for it.....................

A hellcat with an 18' camper...well, he had to be on the stops of the suspension. Having the power/torque to pull is not the issue, it's the suspension and chassis that are NOT designed for it that is the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You are correct...but none of them have IRS....unless you put on air shocks, the IRS will sag badly all the time when the trailer is connected, which means even less suspension travel in back.

You're gonna do what you want anyway, so why ask ? The manual says not to, and many here have said it's a bad idea, and even given you reasons.................

Yes, you can do it, but the chassis is NOT designed for it.....................

A hellcat with an 18' camper...well, he had to be on the stops of the suspension. Having the power/torque to pull is not the issue, it's the suspension and chassis that are NOT designed for it that is the problem.
I have seen that, the dealer did offer to install a class 3 tow hitch so I was thinking it would be OK.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The problem is with no frame and independent floating rear end best not to pull anything with it.
You realize some people here have motorcycles with trailers, the challenger certainly can pull a canoe. I pulled 3 snowmobiles across Wisconsin and Michigan with a 1990 mercury cougar with independent rear suspension and a v6, a canoe or single jet ski with a challenger is a walk in the park. Besides a trailer tongue should have 10 percent weight so about 100lb that will not squat a challenger at all.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts