Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy's Law does work both ways. Since August of this year, I've been getting a check engine light every 100 miles like clock work. The code is always the same. P0456 (EVAP system small leak detected). I've changed the gas cap and had it to the dealership twice (no trouble found). Got the GD code again last week. ENOUGH is ENOUGH! Back to the dealer! Explained the problem in detail to the service writer and advised him that my extended warranty is up on January 18, 2018. I was very polite and told him I didn't care if my car (2010 Challenger R/T) had to be shipped back to FCA in Canada, I wanted it repaired once and for all.
After approx: two hours, I was told that the technician kept getting failure codes but couldn't isolate the leak. They would need me to leave my car for a few days. I agreed and was given a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica as a loaner. This was on Monday Nov. 27th. I get a voice mail this morning (Friday) stating my car is fixed and can be picked up. I arrived at the dealer, turned in my loaner (excellent mini van) and spoke with the technician. He found a pin hole leak on top of the gas tank next to one of the fuel pump locking rings.
Repairs as follows:
New fuel tank, two fuel pump o-rings, two fuel pump lock rings and five labor hours. Add the $140.00 car rental and $136.60 in taxes, total bill came to $2,538.70! :eek: I paid my $100.00 portion of the bill and left ONE HAPPY CAMPER! :D Lots or pros and cons about extended warranties, but in my case, I paid $570.00 for the MOPAR 7/60 Maximum Care extended warranty ($100.00 deductible).
Murphy's Law does work both ways! ;)....Best of all, Code: P0456 is gone! :cool:

· Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,847 Posts
I have read a few cases where gas tanks had to be replaced. They are not cheap by any means glad you were only out $100.00.

· Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
32,373 Posts
Well, that is good news after what I think had to be very discouraging times since August! So happy for you to get this resolved!!!

· Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,689 Posts
Glad to hear it is fixed, thanks for passing this on . ....Have fun

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

· Premium Member
12,749 Posts
That is awesome news right there, hats off to the tech who stuck with it and solved your problem. Hats off to you for the call on the extended warranty!

· Registered
3,517 Posts
Great news and you got it fixed in the nick-of-time before your extended runs out. Sounds like you have a tech that knows what he's doing, and that is always a good thing.

· Registered
870 Posts
I had a similar issue with my V6Plus, good news the issue is sorted, my question is why it takes 3 visits to the dealership and strong words to actually get action. I also had 3 trips and a loaner for them to finally realize my battery was faulty.. I told them, they just smiled as though owners know zilch..

· How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Admin... Thank you for moving my thread to the proper forum. I was still in the process of doing my happy dance (definitely don't want to go there) when I originally posted. ;)

· Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,847 Posts
Admin... Thank you for moving my thread to the proper forum. I was still in the process of doing my happy dance (definitely don't want to go there) when I originally posted. ;)
you are welcome

· Registered
13,092 Posts
Glad you got it resolved. Just boils down to who is working on your car that day. You got a sharp mechanic on the job that day and he found the problem, hats off to him for finding that little leak and making the right call. Always nice to know you made out on the good side of an extended warranty purchase. Most of the time people pay more for them then they ever utilize them (otherwise companies wouldn't be selling them right?), it's just a bet, and you made the right call!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts