Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Good deal. I gotta say that tech must be pretty sharp to spot that pinhole leak. I wonder how it was found???
The tech used a leak tester 'Miller 8404' to isolate the leak to the fuel tank area. He then used smoke injection and was able to see the smoke exiting (very slightly) next to one of the fuel pump lock rings. After replacing the fuel tank, he left my car outside overnight and again ran a cold test with the Miller 8404 and smoke injection the next morning. All tests passed. The tech's name is Gary and the only one that's ever worked on my car (personal friend). 25 years as a Chrysler master mechanic and it certainly shows!....He also did my timing chain and air-bag recalls.

· Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,849 Posts
The tech used a leak tester 'Miller 8404' to isolate the leak to the fuel tank area. He then used smoke injection and was able to see the smoke exiting (very slightly) next to one of the fuel pump lock rings. After replacing the fuel tank, he left my car outside overnight and again ran a cold test with the Miller 8404 and smoke injection the next morning. All tests passed. The tech's name is Gary and the only one that's ever worked on my car (personal friend). 25 years as a Chrysler master mechanic and it certainly shows!....He also did my timing chain and air-bag recalls.
Wonder why you had a code yet my leaking fuel pump did not have a code?

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

· How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey Corbin. Spoke with the tech that repaired mine this morning and explained your situation (no CEL).... When our cars do the self checks (ie: fuel system vacuum test), it's usually performed when the car is off sitting for awhile. The cars test pressure is approx: 1 to 2 psi. In your case, when the tank was full, the gasoline would ooze out the top of the fuel pump under volume pressure. Once the fuel level dropped no more gas smell. There was probably enough gasoline residue in the crack that sealed it enough to fool the cars vacuum test sequence. When I took my car in it had a 1/4 of a tank of gas, which he said was ideal for doing the pressure and smoke tests.

· Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,849 Posts
Hey Corbin. Spoke with the tech that repaired mine this morning and explained your situation (no CEL).... When our cars do the self checks (ie: fuel system vacuum test), it's usually performed when the car is off sitting for awhile. The cars test pressure is approx: 1 to 2 psi. In your case, when the tank was full, the gasoline would ooze out the top of the fuel pump under volume pressure. Once the fuel level dropped no more gas smell. There was probably enough gasoline residue in the crack that sealed it enough to fool the cars vacuum test sequence. When I took my car in it had a 1/4 of a tank of gas, which he said was ideal for doing the pressure and smoke tests.
That make sense, thank you for checking it out.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

· Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my V6Plus, good news the issue is sorted, my question is why it takes 3 visits to the dealership and strong words to actually get action. I also had 3 trips and a loaner for them to finally realize my battery was faulty.. I told them, they just smiled as though owners know zilch..
Glad to read this. Been having the dreaded P0455 P0456 bugaboo for more than 2 years. Many gas caps, many system checks and repairs, even over a thousand dollars of emissions systems replacements. My battery died the other day. Turned out it was 7 years old. Replaced it and suddenly no engine light. Will keep my fingers crossed. Have never seen these two things associated before online.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts