Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,477 Posts
Kind of depends on the look you are going for/budget... bang for the buck = Hellcat intake tube/airbox.... imho...

Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
CAIs that are the metal wall dam type isolating the stock airbox corner never properly seal to the hood, they actually draw heated engine compartment air over the top of the dam wall.

Those same types that come with the metal airflow tubes after the engine has run for a while the tube gets hot from the radiator heat, so hot that you cannot hold your bare hand on it. That heat retained by the metal tube is slightly transferred to the air flowing through it which increases your intake air temperature.

The plastic or carbon fiber tubes do not retain the heat like the metal tubes do.

Also note the actual size of the air filter itself, the larger the better as it will allow more air flow through it.

Your 2019 has the headlight duct port so you may want to take advantage of that, the cheapest solution is Shane13s suggestion to get the hellcat air box and headlight port tube.

You'll definitely need the D.I.P.S. screen if you would like to keep unwanted flying bugs out of your air box.

https://www.genpartsco.com/buy-it-now.html

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
@landoawd

The subject of Cold Air Intakes covers all Challengers, why don't you give nnjTim some good quality advice instead of your usual Offhand comments!

As far as the D.I.P.S. screen, so far it has stopped many large bugs like dragonflys, butterflys, bumblebees, dead on the screen and easily gotten off, but the screen kept those dead bug corpses out of my air filter box.

So FYI, it definitely does what it was bought to do, and no regrets spending that money.

·
Banned
544 Posts

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,858 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the club brother! As others have posted, the only thing the cold air intakes are good for is engine dress-up. I bought the Hellcat airbox and intake tube for a third of the price and a KN filter. The air intake through the headlight comes in under the filter but it should only be of concern in driving rain, but most of the water should drain out the bottom. A screen in the tube would keep out unwanted intruders. You should also consider a catch can to scavenge dirty oil, a Luxe vinyl wrap to cover the plastic area between the taillights,{ it will get scratched more than you know} and if you have a manual you will want to change the shifter to a Barton unit and do the skip-shift eliminator and clutch delay valve delete. Enjoy your new ride, you will love it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone tried the Hellcat box and tube on a 19 with the air catcher headlights? Just want to be sure it will work and fit properly. Speed logic site says through 18.
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I too have recently bought a 2019 SP. I was surprised that the headlight intake was blocked off. I know "it's a waste of money" and all but i think the after market CAI look nice. Here is what i was thinking. I want to get a hell cat box with vent tube and get the short leg maker. i realy like the carbon fiberr look. i think i would hafta modify / cut the hell cat box to accomodate. I think this would give the best of both worlds, a box that directs air to the filter and a nice looking carbon tube that doesnt retain heat. what are your guys thoughts, aside from "you could spend 500 bones a better way..."

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
This conversation is definitely an old one. The best answer I have ever heard was from somebody on this very forum if I recall. It basically goes something like this. This is YOUR car, you most likely worked your ass off to buy it, read all the information, listen to all the opinions with an open mind, but in the end do what puts a smile on YOUR face. Unless your running your car at the track every weekend and maybe that 1 or 2 hp difference is going to matter to you just do what makes you happy. That being said I have been running a hellcat lower with headlight tube for about 8 months and it is a great way to go. a couple of weeks ago I went ahead and ordered an aFe carbon fiber track series CAI ( installed it this weekend), I did this for no other reason than it looks good to me and sounds awesome, will I lose any HP , dunno... maybe . I just don't care, she's consistently pulling 4.2-4.3 0-60 runs and that's plenty good enough for me. Congrats on your new toy, you worked hard for it, have fun with it !!

P.S. that not to say i'm not currently designing a enclosure mod for my new CAI to isolate it more completely from the air in the engine bay, because tinkering with stuff like that is what puts a smile on MY face
Image-1.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
So I too have recently bought a 2019 SP. I was surprised that the headlight intake was blocked off. I know "it's a waste of money" and all but i think the after market CAI look nice. Here is what i was thinking. I want to get a hell cat box with vent tube and get the short leg maker. i realy like the carbon fiberr look. i think i would hafta modify / cut the hell cat box to accomodate. I think this would give the best of both worlds, a box that directs air to the filter and a nice looking carbon tube that doesnt retain heat. what are your guys thoughts, aside from "you could spend 500 bones a better way..."

All of them come 'blocked off'. All you do is remove the plug and voila.....you have airflow.

Now, how you remove that plug depends on the year...on my 2015, there were 3 tabs that snapped in place....you just popped them loose and the plug came out. Later models I think may have screws holding them in.

Reactions: ButWhatDoIKnow

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought the Hellcat airbox, the tube to connect to the light ring and a Hellcat Paper filter. Changed it out just recently, the rain did not ruin the filter. Put the stock air filter in until I can get a new paper Hellcat filter. So far so good.
Car runs better with the Hellcat air filter because it allows more flow. but nothing like a conical one. I like the looks of the Momentum GT because it is a sealed design but seems like a PITA to change the filter.
With what I got now with the hellcat airbox my temps are about 3-7 degrees above ambient when in motion, car runs good, heat extractors free flow and no issues

·
Registered
420 Posts
The air intake tube between the air box and TB is 7" long on the Scat Packs. Don't be deluded by the photos of the 5.7 engines !
P1020605.JPG

1 - 20 of 51 Posts