Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another thing the OP may want to consider is that on his '19 Scat Pack, the hood scoop is open to the engine bay. If he wants to prevent water and dust/dirt finding its way on top of his engine, then he will probably want to opt for the T/A Cold Air kit so it closes it off.....or construct his own underhood ducting. That is the project I am about to tackle for my incoming 1320.
Sorry mis-understood you at first. Yeah the CAI is sealed to the hood, the opening is still open allowing heat from the airbox out, the shield prevents water from getting on the filter.
The other extractor is open to the engine bay. I am trying to find something to divert water from that main scoop off to the sides of the engine bay or have the ability to close it when going into a car wash or torrential rain

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced my Hellcat Airbox with a JLT Series II using a stainless rain fender instead of that stupid plastic shield closing the hood vent. I knew it would breathe better but I definitely noticed a difference at 40 MPH I lit up both rear 305ZR20s no problem, not a screech but full spin. I thought it was by chance but it was repeatable. I then did a 0-60 and drove it like I usually do but got way more wheel spin than normal. Still did a 4.3, I know I could have done a lot better but did not have time to keep doing it. I then put the car in dyno mode. I used to see it run about 485 HP, this time went over 500+ easy.
I got a screenshot of it, trying to find the file now. With my window open I can hear a little bit of a whistle when I first step on the gas, sound I can hear the air being sucked in.
I went back and forth over these CAI, if you decide to keep your HC airbox make sure you try a MAHLE Hellcat Air filter with it, it has more flow.
I am going to be posting a video of it next week on my Sky1Videos Youtube channel
Where did you get the stainless rain fender?!?! Thank you

·
Registered
420 Posts
Shaker update: During the cool winter months I did some heat protection. Now the duct from the Shaker to the air box has 3 layers of thermo tape. The Intake tube from air box to TB has a double wrap of thermo tape as well but ccouldn't tape the accordion areas.
Scat Pack shaker 1.JPG
Scat Pack Shaker 2.JPG
I also installed the Scalia kit that lifts the up Shaker 3/4" to better be in the air flow over the hood above the boundary layer. Today at 93 degrees at 82 mph cruise inlet temp was 4 - 6 degrees about outside temp. During the winter with the AC off and 60 degree air temp I noticed a big power difference at low speeds spinning my 315 x 35x20 tires at will. But now with the AC on power is down. I've thought about applying flat thermo shielding on the underside of the scoop ??
People who have installed a 180 thermostat have noticed a 1-2 mpg loss .

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,217 Posts
Shaker update: During the cool winter months I did some heat protection. Now the duct from the Shaker to the air box has 3 layers of thermo tape. The Intake tube from air box to TB has a double wrap of thermo tape as well but ccouldn't tape the accordion areas.
View attachment 277455 View attachment 277456 I also installed the Scalia kit that lifts the up Shaker 3/4" to better be in the air flow over the hood above the boundary layer. Today at 93 degrees at 82 mph cruise inlet temp was 4 - 6 degrees about outside temp. During the winter with the AC off and 60 degree air temp I noticed a big power difference at low speeds spinning my 315 x 35x20 tires at will. But now with the AC on power is down. I've thought about applying flat thermo shielding on the underside of the scoop ??
People who have installed a 180 thermostat have noticed a 1-2 mpg loss .
Just curious why do you have the breather capped off?

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's capped off at the air box because I didn't want hot oily crank case air entering the air box. I did install a K&N breather filter which is attached to the breather hose and now directed down in front of the cylinder head.Common mod and I wanted the breather filter out of sight. Other people let the filter lay on the top area, not me.

·
Administrator
55,217 Posts
It's capped off at the air box because I didn't want hot oily crank case air entering the air box. I did install a K&N breather filter which is attached to the breather hose and now directed down in front of the cylinder head.Common mod and I wanted the breather filter out of sight. Other people let the filter lay on the top area, not me.
The air does not move that way it goes from the filter into the engine ,that is why it goes thru the filter. Breather in Pcv out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes that that is crank case vent tapped in low pressure area in the air box for ingestion into the engine . Back in the day the engine valve rocker cover had a cap with a hose to the air filter . That was called the PVC aka Positive Air Ventilation system. I'm not the only one who has done this and all for the same reason. You can do what you think is right but I don't want those oily fumes in my intake air stream.

·
Administrator
55,217 Posts
Did you ever notice an oily residue on the inside of the air filter? I never have with 3 different cars with that type of air box. Again just curious.

·
Administrator
55,217 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
@DodgeFL

No offense intended, I've done some things earlier on that I removed because it looked like crap under the hood, as does your silver thermal pipe wrap, if you could have acquired it in black it would look better. Sorry Man!

That line you capped off not only allows the crankcase to breathe, it also supplies light negative crankcase pressure at times the PCV valve is closed, you've completely removed the negative pressure by installing the K&N little filter on the line and are forcing the engine to push out the vent gas and creating positive crankcase pressure. It is your engine but I suggest hooking that vent line back up to the filter. Ry

https://www.challengerforumz.com/attachments/ccv-bible-pdf.261729/

·
Administrator
55,217 Posts
@DodgeFL

No offense intended, I've done some things earlier on that I removed because it looked like crap under the hood, as does your silver thermal pipe wrap, if you could have acquired it in black it would look better. Sorry Man!

That line you capped off not only allows the crankcase to breathe, it also supplies light negative crankcase pressure at times the PCV valve is closed, you've completely removed the negative pressure by installing the K&N little filter on the line and are forcing the engine to push out the vent gas and creating positive crankcase pressure. It is your engine but I suggest hooking that vent line back up to the filter. Ry

https://www.challengerforumz.com/attachments/ccv-bible-pdf.261729/
I had a similar setup on my 2010 because the CAI had no provision for the breather hose, it had no ill effects. Although the outside of the little filter got plenty dirty but not the inside.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts