Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little input about a cold air intake for a 2012 SXT 3.6. Mopar or Injen? Mopar's version is kind of pricey (Jegs $489.99) Injen- average price $290-$300. Help me out on this, considering for my next mod. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,558 Posts
Need a little input about a cold air intake for a 2012 SXT 3.6. Mopar or Injen? Mopar's version is kind of pricey (Jegs $489.99) Injen- average price $290-$300. Help me out on this, considering for my next mod. Thanks.
Th Mopar I thinks looks the best and is built very well. You might be able to get a better price if you shop around.I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have pretty much decided to go with the Injen CAI. Personally I like the streamlined polished look of the unit. What turns me off with the Mopar is the ugly rubber lined box surrounding the filter. I get it that the purpose of the box is to act as a heat shield but I feel at highway/expressway speeds engine heat is not that big a factor. There is strong air flow coming in at the front plus functioning air scoops.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it would come down to personal preference on what you think looks better. With any cold air intake you're getting a slight engine boost. Personally I would stick with original MOPAR parts where available, as it gives it the 'stock' look. Unless I'm looking for something flashy or for increased performance.

Some CAI's come with air boxes. Technically speaking, the engine puts out a LOT of heat, so shielding the filter with an airbox would provide slightly colder air intake. Different CAI's boast different levels of air intake. For example, Weapon-R looks great and boasts that it intakes 3x more air than conventional CAIs. VOLANT Pro 5 with the airbox says it provides more air intake than a conventional CAI (doesn't give a spec though) and it includes the airbox to shield you from engine heat. Depends on the look you're going for if you show your car around, or if you simply just want HP boost.

I don't have CAI on my challenger, but it is something I may do in the future as a mod. I would most likely go with something like Weapon-R for the appearance, otherwise I'd stick with stock MOPAR parts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
With the CAI its all about appearance, really doubt they all perform much differently. The Mopar your just paying for the brand which i foolishly did.

I really dont believe an aftermarket CAI will improve our hp.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it would come down to personal preference on what you think looks better. With any cold air intake you're getting a slight engine boost. Personally I would stick with original MOPAR parts where available, as it gives it the 'stock' look. Unless I'm looking for something flashy or for increased performance.

Some CAI's come with air boxes. Technically speaking, the engine puts out a LOT of heat, so shielding the filter with an airbox would provide slightly colder air intake. Different CAI's boast different levels of air intake. For example, Weapon-R looks great and boasts that it intakes 3x more air than conventional CAIs. VOLANT Pro 5 with the airbox says it provides more air intake than a conventional CAI (doesn't give a spec though) and it includes the airbox to shield you from engine heat. Depends on the look you're going for if you show your car around, or if you simply just want HP boost.

I don't have CAI on my challenger, but it is something I may do in the future as a mod. I would most likely go with something like Weapon-R for the appearance, otherwise I'd stick with stock MOPAR parts.
I checked out the Weapon-R and not really impressed appearance wise but as you suggested, in the end, a matter of individual preference. Realistically, I don't expect a significant hp boost but something is better than nothing. Plus the fact that the Injen system is, on average, $140 cheaper than the Mopar system. Just my $.02.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts