Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG

I am really upset with the design and functionality of the shaker intake. I have noticed that the cold intake box does not seal up.
1. The seal does not compress against the hood.
2. The opening that the hellcat tube attachies to.
3. The gap on the fwd side of the box where there is no seal
5. The under sized air tube from the shaker intake to the cold air box

The shaker is nothing but eye candy and it just has been pissing me off lately

My inlet air temp is on average 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit higher then FAT (free air temp)
At times it's higher then 30 degrees

The mod I would like to see is a sealed air boxed and bigger air tube from the shaker to produce a true cold intake and at speed some ram air to the engin.. rant over

I know I am going to get replys about adding the hellcat intake. In my opinion I should not have to add anything to a cold air intake to make it into a cold air intake

2016 392 scatpack shaker 7000 miles

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kris,

couldn't agree with you more. I just traded in my 2014 RT shaker for a 2017 scat pack shaker. Your gripes are the same thing I had with my RT shaker. I was always threatening to modify the airbox or the underpart of the hood to get a better seal as you pointed out. Probably why Dodge doesnt rate the shaker vehicles HP any higher than the standard intake............cold air intake .....not so much colder. Now with the new car I have found my annoyance renewed. Let me know if you find any mods to get better performance of the shaker CAI.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Sure is pretty tho :) but I can see where ur pissed that's kinda why when I first got my car and was looking at "cold air intakes" I said their is no way that can have cold air when it totally exposed to the under hood heat. I went with the hellcat air box because it's sealed and my AIT usually stay around 5 to 10 over in the summer and 3 to 5 in winter if it's cold they are the same Is their any way u could put a larger rubber around the top of the box?

·
Premium Member
12,249 Posts
Has not stopped my car making over 500HP... RWHP

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 17' Shaker, added the Hellcat air inlet and changed the air filter to an R2C filter. My average temps at 55 mph+ is 5-7 degrees higher than outside ambient air temp. Lower speeds it starts to climb up, highest I've seen is 15 degrees warmer when driving, at a stand still gets higher. Just my observations on my Shaker at least.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ok the shaker IS NOT a ram air set up like the old days to be that it would have to be hooked to the throttle body on our cars it was never intended to be that, in the 70's the shaker fed air directly into the carb not the air box like we have now, so to be "pissed off" about this is well a tad silly it was never intended to be exactly as 1970 was, it is more of a statement or eye candy and yes do the hellcat conversion for more cool air flow into the box that is a worth while mod

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have a 17' Shaker, added the Hellcat air inlet and changed the air filter to an R2C filter. My average temps at 55 mph+ is 5-7 degrees higher than outside ambient air temp. Lower speeds it starts to climb up, highest I've seen is 15 degrees warmer when driving, at a stand still gets higher. Just my observations on my Shaker at least.
That's my exact experience as well. And when ambient temps are around 70f (or less) the intake temps are like 2 degrees above ambient (or right at ambient) at highway speeds. So IMHO it is working, and is not just eye candy.

I was driving in 100+ temps one day on the highway, and my IAT was +7 over ambient. I'll guarantee a non-Shaker would not be running that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
View attachment 103747
View attachment 103748 View attachment 103749 View attachment 103750 View attachment 103751
I am really upset with the design and functionality of the shaker intake. I have noticed that the cold intake box does not seal up.
1. The seal does not compress against the hood.
2. The opening that the hellcat tube attachies to.
3. The gap on the fwd side of the box where there is no seal
5. The under sized air tube from the shaker intake to the cold air box

The shaker is nothing but eye candy and it just has been pissing me off lately

My inlet air temp is on average 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit higher then FAT (free air temp)
At times it's higher then 30 degrees

The mod I would like to see is a sealed air boxed and bigger air tube from the shaker to produce a true cold intake and at speed some ram air to the engin.. rant over

I know I am going to get replys about adding the hellcat intake. In my opinion I should not have to add anything to a cold air intake to make it into a cold air intake

2016 392 scatpack shaker 7000 miles
B5, nice

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
I have the same stock cold air intake and wondered about the open top. I check intake air temps today and 85* ambient/ 97* Intake air temp at 35/45 mph. rose significantly in traffic to 116* plus. I saw a 122* at one time but as the speed picked up it dropped again.

I have ordered a tube for the light socket to the airbox, going to see what change it will make in intake air at idle and in motion.

Reactions: N2rock and ScatSRT

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's my exact experience as well. And when ambient temps are around 70f (or less) the intake temps are like 2 degrees above ambient (or right at ambient) at highway speeds. So IMHO it is working, and is not just eye candy.

I was driving in 100+ temps one day on the highway, and my IAT was +7 over ambient. I'll guarantee a non-Shaker would not be running that.
I can say that I've been right in line with you guys. The average being 10 or less over ambient.
No it's not a massive sealed scoop but 10 over ambient is a gain no matter how you slice it.

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
One thing I really didn't care to see is the PVC running into the back of the air cleaner, that is going to disappear in short order! I ran into that with my Harley's, first thing to get rid of, no more oil dripping on the timing covers and onto my boots!! A much cleaner intake also!!

Reactions: ScatSRT and N2rock

·
Premium Member
12,249 Posts
The original shaker really did not offer much in the way of "ram air" , I had a 71 Shaker. If you go back and look at the data that MOPAR was sharing with the faithful you needed to have the air inlet several inches off the hood.

Reactions: ScatSRT

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
The original shaker really did not offer much in the way of "ram air" , I had a 71 Shaker. If you go back and look at the data that MOPAR was sharing with the faithful you needed to have the air inlet several inches off the hood.

I ran BB Pontiac back then, I looked at a Charger in 73 but it was a little out of my price range!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Coming from a Scat Pack Shaker, I miss the low IAT temps you guys are running. Now when I look at the IAT, I'm running 25 to 30 degrees higher than ambient. The heat soak on these Hellcats are higher even with the factory air inlet tube. I was so used to averaging 6 degrees above ambient at speed. Enjoy your shaker, it is giving you lower IAT's.

Reactions: N2rock

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
Coming from a Scat Pack Shaker, I miss the low IAT temps you guys are running. Now when I look at the IAT, I'm running 25 to 30 degrees higher than ambient. The heat soak on these Hellcats are higher even with the factory air inlet tube. I was so used to averaging 6 degrees above ambient at speed. Enjoy your shaker, it is giving you lower IAT's.

Must be a trade off for the supercharger, I never ran one all my motors were naturally aspirated, last build was a 598 BB Chev, 798 hp on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
ScatSRT, I noticed you have a 17' HC, they don't use a MAF anymore, two TMAP internal sensors I believe I read somewhere, would that not give you higher IAT readings?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
ScatSRT, I noticed you have a 17' HC, they don't use a MAF anymore, two TMAP internal sensors I believe I read somewhere, would that not give you higher IAT readings?
Possibly and you are correct regarding the change from '16 to '17. Now that I think about it, I do recall reading about it somewhere. I'm not worried as the HC runs FANTASTIC. I was just use to viewing IAT within the Performance Pages on the Scat. I normally monitor boost and Fuel/Air ratio now...not that I need to but out of habit, LOL. My post was more to tell the OP not to worry and just enjoy his Shaker.

Reactions: BBC2Hemi

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
After some investigation under the hood I have installed the HC Inlet duct tube to the airbox, a very simple install by the way. Received a real nice rubber one MOPAR imprinted in the rubber.

I checked the clearance of the airbox to the hood subframe and found it was about a 1/4" below it and I would think that it is better than it rubbing the paint off the underside of the hood frame. Although I did find that there is an opening in the hood subframe that would let the airbox suck in air from the rest of the engine compartment plus the fact that the hood (dark colored) subjected to the sun is causing it to get even warmer. That would be more of an issue at idle or in slow traffic. I have a cure in mind for that also. If I can get the pics posted I people can see what I am talking about.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 134 Posts