Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Holy mackerel, triplets!
Personally, I did not want to change the engineered design, too much.
I think our airboxes are HC lowers. There is a factory cutout 4 x 3 rectangle in the front side of the box. Just sucking Super hot air from the engine compartment for what? i don't know.
Mopar Cold Air Intake Headlamp Duct Kit. part # 77072385. $55ish? Perfectly bridges between the stock box and inner headlamp center pop-outs. Added DIPS screens to cover both holes. Only took forty five cause I dragged out the entire process by taking photos. You could literally do it in ten minutes. I drove it before and after, made the mod while hot, and I swear the intake temp went down close to 20 degrees. It was around 102 and then it was 86 or so. Same engine and oil temp. It even increased the throttle response.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe you should put a lid on it like the T/A has for the hood scoop duct.
My T/A used to run 9 to 10 above ambient and 60-70 mph. I re-purpose
the hood insulation and wrap the duct since it gets baked sitting above
the radiator and intake manifold. The result is 2-3 degrees cooler now at highway speeds.

Reactions: N2rock

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Maybe you should put a lid on it like the T/A has for the hood scoop duct.
My T/A used to run 9 to 10 above ambient and 60-70 mph. I re-purpose
the hood insulation and wrap the duct since it gets baked sitting above
the radiator and intake manifold. The result is 2-3 degrees cooler now at highway speeds.

That's a very good idea! Too bad the Shakers don't have hood insulation to re-purpose.

Reactions: ASingh93

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 103747
View attachment 103748 View attachment 103749 View attachment 103750 View attachment 103751
I am really upset with the design and functionality of the shaker intake. I have noticed that the cold intake box does not seal up.
1. The seal does not compress against the hood.
2. The opening that the hellcat tube attachies to.
3. The gap on the fwd side of the box where there is no seal
5. The under sized air tube from the shaker intake to the cold air box

The shaker is nothing but eye candy and it just has been pissing me off lately

My inlet air temp is on average 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit higher then FAT (free air temp)
At times it's higher then 30 degrees

The mod I would like to see is a sealed air boxed and bigger air tube from the shaker to produce a true cold intake and at speed some ram air to the engin.. rant over

I know I am going to get replys about adding the hellcat intake. In my opinion I should not have to add anything to a cold air intake to make it into a cold air intake

2016 392 scatpack shaker 7000 miles
I just did the head light intake kit on my 2018 shaker it cooled the CAI temp down quite nicely, when the ambient temp is around 85 degrees my intake temp is staying between 1-3 degrees over! It also cools down quicker, not really sure it added any power per say but it does increase that awesome stock exhaust sound! Worth the 60 bux IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
View attachment 103747
View attachment 103748 View attachment 103749 View attachment 103750 View attachment 103751
I am really upset with the design and functionality of the shaker intake. I have noticed that the cold intake box does not seal up.
1. The seal does not compress against the hood.
2. The opening that the hellcat tube attachies to.
3. The gap on the fwd side of the box where there is no seal
5. The under sized air tube from the shaker intake to the cold air box

The shaker is nothing but eye candy and it just has been pissing me off lately

My inlet air temp is on average 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit higher then FAT (free air temp)
At times it's higher then 30 degrees

The mod I would like to see is a sealed air boxed and bigger air tube from the shaker to produce a true cold intake and at speed some ram air to the engin.. rant over

I know I am going to get replys about adding the hellcat intake. In my opinion I should not have to add anything to a cold air intake to make it into a cold air intake

2016 392 scatpack shaker 7000 miles

When I was referring ram air I was talking about the affect of ramming a supply of cold air to the filter. Not ram air to be used as boots air in to the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Holy mackerel, triplets!
Personally, I did not want to change the engineered design, too much.
I think our airboxes are HC lowers. There is a factory cutout 4 x 3 rectangle in the front side of the box. Just sucking Super hot air from the engine compartment for what? i don't know.
Mopar Cold Air Intake Headlamp Duct Kit. part # 77072385. $55ish? Perfectly bridges between the stock box and inner headlamp center pop-outs. Added DIPS screens to cover both holes. Only took forty five cause I dragged out the entire process by taking photos. You could literally do it in ten minutes. I drove it before and after, made the mod while hot, and I swear the intake temp went down close to 20 degrees. It was around 102 and then it was 86 or so. Same engine and oil temp. It even increased the throttle response.
What are the DIPS screens and are they Mopar? I'm ordering the headlight tube and would like to keep debris from entering the airbox.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
What are the DIPS screens and are they Mopar? I'm ordering the headlight tube and would like to keep debris from entering the airbox.
This is what I used to keep debris out of mine, bought some food strainers at meijers, it was a 3 pack, gave the extra's to my wife, have been on for 3 years, no problem at all, hope this helps you, cost about 6 bucks. did both sides.. I used the blue one in this pack, painted it flat black, it is a perfect fit on our Challenger. File or saw off the ear tabs and handle.
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1678.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I just did the head light intake kit on my 2018 shaker it cooled the CAI temp down quite nicely, when the ambient temp is around 85 degrees my intake temp is staying between 1-3 degrees over! It also cools down quicker, not really sure it added any power per say but it does increase that awesome stock exhaust sound! Worth the 60 bux IMO.
Yeah, it doesn't "add" power. But you lose power the higher the intake temps are. So by keeping the intake air lower, you are keeping more power instead of losing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been looking at my shaker engine and then look at the hood. I thought the rubber gasket around the filter did not meet up with the hood and make a seal. Does anyone know how much of a gap there actually is? I can not tell but I may experiment with pool noodles of different sizes. I will split them down the middle and cut to fit. I am thinking if I can form a seal or at least a better seal maybe the air temp would drop. It will not be pretty but it may be interesting.

·
Registered
2018 SPS M6 F8 Green, Dynamics Package, Partial Wrap and Coating, Barton Shifter
836 Posts
I have been looking at my shaker engine and then look at the hood. I thought the rubber gasket around the filter did not meet up with the hood and make a seal. Does anyone know how much of a gap there actually is? I can not tell but I may experiment with pool noodles of different sizes. I will split them down the middle and cut to fit. I am thinking if I can form a seal or at least a better seal maybe the air temp would drop. It will not be pretty but it may be interesting.
Well you will find many many threads on this subject. From what I have read there is a 1/2" gap, thing is if you actually seal it to the hood, hot air is pulled through the holes in the hood. My next best ambient temps were when I actually sealed the top of the CAI. There is enough air pulled through the headlight port, shaker and from the bottom of the air box. My best ambient temps were when I replaced the air box (no shaker port) and used an OEM lid, no shaker port. You will find many adaptations.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well you will find many many threads on this subject. From what I have read there is a 1/2" gap, thing is if you actually seal it to the hood, hot air is pulled through the holes in the hood. My next best ambient temps were when I actually sealed the top of the CAI. There is enough air pulled through the headlight port, shaker and from the bottom of the air box. My best ambient temps were when I replaced the air box (no shaker port) and used an OEM lid, no shaker port. You will find many adaptations.

So, for best temperatures, we need to make the already semi-functional shaker into just cosmetic, and use the complete Hellcat air box setup?

·
Premium Member
2018 Challenger RT Scat Pack with Shaker.
1,900 Posts
I don't accept that solution. There must be a better way to keep the Shaker useful
and still lower the IAT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've noticed the same thing as far as the seal around the air box. I have my doubts about how good the seal is as well. When I was a teen I had a 73 Dodge Charger w/400, I would flip the air cleaner cover over so that the filter was exposed and it made the engine sound very throaty on acceleration. That's pretty much what is coming out of that Shaker lol but I love the look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So...in the time I've been away from this thread...no company has yet to come up with a functional SEALED/CLOSED airbox for the shakers? UGH, this is just ridiculous...

·
Registered
2018 SPS M6 F8 Green, Dynamics Package, Partial Wrap and Coating, Barton Shifter
836 Posts
So...in the time I've been away from this thread...no company has yet to come up with a functional SEALED/CLOSED airbox for the shakers? UGH, this is just ridiculous...
So funny you asked I once again wrote to Afe about this, no response this time. Or if someone would make a professional lid for our air boxes?? They would sell many.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts