Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2020 dodge challenger RT 5.7 and I wanna get a cold air intake should I go with A Dodge or a K&N

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You should go with a Hellcat lower airbox and headlight tube.

Can any trim level use the hellcat tube now ?? I thought some trim levels still had actual headlights in the inner locations ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
All ‘15 and newer should have the same headlights on all trim levels.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If the car has the drivers convenience group, it already has the air intake in the headlamp. All he needs is the Hellcat air filter.
-John
I have a 2019 R/T Plus with the Drivers Convenience Group. It does have the lighted Rhombi intake, however I still needed to add the Hellcat lower box and tube to direct the air right into the box.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
I have a 2019 R/T Plus with the Drivers Convenience Group. It does have the lighted Rhombi intake, however I still needed to add the Hellcat lower box and tube to direct the air right into the box.
That makes no sense at all because the window sticker calls it an air catcher headlamp. It's under the catagory of the drivers convenience group. Take a look...

-John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That makes no sense at all because the window sticker calls it an air catcher headlamp. It's under the catagory of the drivers convenience group. Take a look...

-John
It does makes sense. My window sticker states the same. Just because they call it an "Air catcher headlamp" doesn't mean air is directed right into the air box. Until you add the tube and lower Hellcat airbox, the catcher only allows air into the engine compartment. I had to order the tube and lower Hellcat airbox to actually direct the air coming from the "air catcher" so it would go direct to the airbox. The Hellcat airbox, besides the hole in the bottom, has a hole in the side which the tube attaches. It then becomes a true cold air intake. With the Performance pages, I can monitor the air intake temps and they are cooler. I saw a video on Youtube showing a piece of paper getting sucked into the air catcher once the person installed the tube and lower box.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
It does makes sense. Just because they call it an "Air catcher headlamp" doesn't mean air is directed right into the air box. I had to order the tube and lower Hellcat airbox to actually direct the air coming from the "air catcher" so it would go direct to the airbox. The Hellcat airbox, besides the hole in the bottom, has a hole in the side which the tube attaches. It then becomes a true cold air intake. With the Performance pages, I can monitor the air intake temps and they are cooler.
I'm going down there on Thursday. A few pictures is worth a thousand words. If they are blowing air at the box instead of into it, well--that's some really dumb shit!
-John

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I'm going down there on Thursday. A few pictures is worth a thousand words. If they are blowing air at the box instead of into it, well--that's some really dumb shit!
-John
I'll take a picture of mine and post it here. Save you a trip!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
As you can see, with the correct tube and airbox, a true CAI. At least it's a lot cheaper than buying a CAI for upwards of $400. The Hellcat lower box, tube and shipping came to around $80 or so and it works better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow...No one answered this mans question. He didn't ask about the air box, he asked about a CAI. Either is just as efficient as the other so your only consideration might be price point.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Wow...No one answered this mans question. He didn't ask about the air box, he asked about a CAI. Either is just as efficient as the other so your only consideration might be price point.
Not true. He asked if he should get the KandN or the Dodge after market CAI. Everyone is trying to tell him the better way to go is a third option...both for price....and for cooler air.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not true. He asked if he should get the KandN or the Dodge after market CAI. Everyone is trying to tell him the better way to go is a third option...both for price....and for cooler air.
If anyone actually answered his original question then I guess I missed it. Good options listed and noted however.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts