Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=&quot]Automakers lobbying to replace
rearview mirrors with cameras[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By Gary Gastelu[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Published April 02, 2014[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Associated Press[/FONT]​

Rearview mirrors may soon be left behind.

In the wake of the federal government’s decision to require the use of backup camera systems on all cars by 2018, automakers are now petitioning NHTSA to allow them to replace traditional side-view and rearview mirrors with cameras, as well.

Currently, laws require the use of mirrors of a specific minimum size and magnification in each of the three positions they are found on cars.

Automakers argue that by replacing the mirrors and their large housings with tiny external cameras sending a video feed to monitors inside the cabin, they can improve aerodynamics and fuel efficiency along with safety.

Prototypes of such systems have been demonstrated for several decades, but the only vehicle resembling a production car that uses them exclusively today is the futuristic $145,000 Volkswagen XL1, a super-sleek 261 mpg coupe that received a special low-volume dispensation from European regulators since only 250 of the cars scheduled to be built. It is not legal in the United States.

Nevertheless, automakers have been increasingly employing cameras in concert with mirrors. These include BMW’s front-mounted cameras designed to assist at intersections, the LaneWatch passenger side blind-spot monitor from Honda, and Nissan’s upcoming Smart rearview mirror, which projects an enhanced video feed from behind the car over the reflected image.

With prices for the backup cameras estimated to be between $132 and $142 per car, the cost to install one or two more on the sides should not be insurmountable, especially on high-end vehicles.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, who along with Tesla support the regulatory change, says that “it is one of our core beliefs that consumers should be in the driver’s seat when choosing which technologies they want to purchase.”

No word yet on when NHTSA will take a good look at this request.

<Question?>
Do not electronic video cameras require power to operate? If the vehicle is
parked and ignition off, can I still see out of my cameras around the vehicle?
I think I still prefer "old school" mirrors that I have learned to use effectively...

·
More Than Just A Car
20,522 Posts
I don't know about this....back up cameras make sense, they do help as long as you keep the lens clean , which on a truck when mounted on a tailgate is dam near impossible. The screens need to improve a lot, if its like my truck and its a sunny day you can barely see anything on the screen , wear sunglasses and its even worse.....the screen is just black, and you can't make any adjustments Yet its all fine nothing wrong with it....yeah right. Maybe I'm a little old school and set in my ways with some things but I'll take the mirrors on the side, over cameras any day.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,560 Posts
I fell cameras are not foolproof enough as far as reliability. Let me keep my mirrors for right now!

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I'd prefer to keep the mirrors as well...pretty full proof really. Not a fan of back up cameras either. I know some folks here have them and that's fine...guess my opinion has always been that once you get used to driving the vehicle, forward and backward, you don't really need the back up cam! I also don't like the location of that camera in the attached picture...you need to look down everytime you want to use them? not a fan.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
When cameras become the standard equipment maybe they'll offer and 'Old School Appearance' package which includes driver and passenger side door mounted mirrors and windshield mounted rearview mirrors along with a non-functional hood scoop (can't be funtional because the electric motor is in the trunk).

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Ditto, I'll stick with the mirrors thanks! :smileup:

Why over complicate something as simple as mirrors? How any MPG's could you possibly get with that anyway?! I guess every little bit counts :4-dontknow:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
A lot of drivers didn't like seat belts, variable speed wipers, or even airbags before those options became standard, so even though I think camera mirrors won't catch on, I have to consider that.

Plus I was wrong on ipods, ipads and iphones, facebook and twitter. :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Bad idea. Glass mirrors reflect light fine. Cameras and displays introduce more points of failure. That means more expensive repairs later on.

Keep it simple. Don't overly complicate everything.

As for backup cameras, they're good if you like them, but I prefer the beeping sensors. I can keep my eyes on the road behind me when backing up, not staring at a screen on the dash. I'll get a beep if something gets in my way. I don't need to see what it is to avoid running it over.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ditto, I'll stick with the mirrors thanks! :smileup:

Why over complicate something as simple as mirrors? How any MPG's could you possibly get with that anyway?! I guess every little bit counts :4-dontknow:
I've heard estimates of around 2%. Automakers will have to use every trick available to meet the new standards.

That includes direct injection, CAM phasing, cooled EGR, new transmissions, boosting and lightened structure. Aerodynamics play a huge part, but it affects appearance. There is also crash safety. I'm not sure the 2 are compatible.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Does this mean there will always be video on a display or the head unit? I use my mirrors constantly...all 3 of them. How will it know which view to show me or will the screen be divided into thirds? Why would it be ok to have video on a screen in front of you when it's not ok to have any kind of video playing? Are they claiming it wouldn't be as equal of a distraction?

I'll stick to my mirrors thanks...just more crap to break and more expensive repairs to make.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I fell cameras are not foolproof enough as far as reliability. Let me keep my mirrors for right now!
Agreed. Technology at some point will always fail, or has the potential too. If you aren't blind enough to still be driving you seeing in a mirror will never fail. Aren't they trying to keep people's eyes road anyway (cell phones and such.....now they want me to look at a screen?) Not to mention any lag that will occur in a computer system sending signal back and forth and lack of true depth perception. Another thing, wheres your peripheral vision in a camera? NO THANKS!

I think what people need to do is to learn how to adjust their mirrors PROPERLY. The side mirrors aren't used to see behind you, they are SIDE mirrors for a reason. Adjust properly its that simple.

·
Moparaholic
1,171 Posts
Oh this would never fly! Everytime I get in my wife's van she has the rearview mirror angled down so she could check her hair or makeup or something...that's what it's there for right?! If they go to cameras I'm sure the first thing she'd want to know is how to take pictures with them.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,469 Posts
I just mentioned this idea to my husband at lunch. His language isn't something I would want to put on the forum! To translate it is just more communism, adding to the cost of the vehicle, something more to break down, etc. Well I am with him on this. Leave my mirrors alone!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mirrows Forever !!

I can't hardly grasp the New Idea!! ; The Heated mirrows are hard enough to see out of in Bad rain / winter conditions , let alone a little camera lense with a build up of Snow / Ice or a rain drop on lens !! Someone will have to invent a wiper just for the len's. HaHa!! Good Luck . :3-smoke:

·
Registered
239 Posts
i would like to keep the mirrors i think the gov needs to pay more attention on their job in DC oh they cant get that right either lol lets go with the old school of keep it simple stupid

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Mirrors - duh. No brainer for me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts