Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be common knowledge but I just read it in a car magazine. The Challenger will get a complete makeover including frame and platform in 2018. So those of us with cars before then (including the 2014 tail-lights and grill change) don't need to worry about looking outdated. Of course, our cars will ALWAYS be cool; as is the case with almost any muscle car.

If you think about it, the Challengers have been our for 7 years already and that is impressive considering the original Challengers ('70 - '74) only lasted 5 years.

Also, sad to read that the Avenger is gone after 2015. This car has so much potential - think about a 2 door version with a 5.7: what a sleeper that would be! The Penstar is still pretty healthy as the high end option and in this car can hang with V-6 Cams and Stangs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
This may be common knowledge but I just read it in a car magazine. The Challenger will get a complete makeover including frame and platform in 2018. So those of us with cars before then (including the 2014 tail-lights and grill change) don't need to worry about looking outdated. Of course, our cars will ALWAYS be cool; as is the case with almost any muscle car.

If you think about it, the Challengers have been our for 7 years already and that is impressive considering the original Challengers ('70 - '74) only lasted 5 years.

Also, sad to read that the Avenger is gone after 2015. This car has so much potential - think about a 2 door version with a 5.7: what a sleeper that would be! The Penstar is still pretty healthy as the high end option and in this car can hang with V-6 Cams and Stangs.
Any idea what the 2018 will look like? will it be radically different from the current body style?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,586 Posts
Thus starts the speculation. Barracuda anyone?LOL

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,954 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the designers at Chrysler are already working on the next iteration, assuming that there will be one. As long as it doesn't take style cues from the 82...speculation will abound until then....

Maybe I can get a '19 Hellcat...

·
Registered
426 Posts
They should do it like the daytona or superbird. Would be easy to find your car in a parking lot. with a 2 foot nose cone, and a 6 foot high park bench on the back.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the designers at Chrysler are already working on the next iteration, assuming that there will be one. As long as it doesn't take style cues from the 82...speculation will abound until then....

Maybe I can get a '19 Hellcat...
Ya, the 78 - 83 Challenger was and still is a embarrassment They must not have built or sold many, I don't ever remembering seeing one ,except in pictures...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
WARNING-WARNING-WARNING !!!

2 things to pay attention too...

The young designers at MoPar drive Subaru's, Altima's and other non-descript vehicles. If the designers have ANY imagination you can bet the New Version will look like some euru-pee-in / scion / lancia wanna-bee muscle car (if they don't kill it / discontinue it).

But, also keep in mind that EVERYTHING they have done to the Challenger (2008 -2014) has come directly from the MoPar R&D Department: us !!!!
Even the Hellcat (HIGHER HORSEPOWER with or without SuperCharger), Shakers, T/A Hoods, better Interior, Dual Exhaust on the V6, Painted Engine Covers, Black Tops, RedLine Wheels, Various Stick Shift Elements, Challenger Script Badging instead of BLOCK Letters, "Old School" MoPar Stripe Packages, Halo's & Sequential Lights, Ram Air Kits, and sooo much more. Even the going back to the regular use of the Name/Term: "MOPAR" came from MoPar Enthusiasts.

So, you guys try not to rely on the folks in the Ivory Tower in Detroit making all the Designer money. They get their cues from us, and don't ever forget that.

Enjoy the RIDE...

·
Registered
313 Posts
WARNING-WARNING-WARNING !!!

2 things to pay attention too...

The young designers at MoPar drive Subaru's, Altima's and other non-descript vehicles. If the designers have ANY imagination you can bet the New Version will look like some euru-pee-in / scion / lancia wanna-bee muscle car (if they don't kill it / discontinue it).

But, also keep in mind that EVERYTHING they have done to the Challenger (2008 -2014) has come directly from the MoPar R&D Department: us !!!!
Even the Hellcat (HIGHER HORSEPOWER with or without SuperCharger), Shakers, T/A Hoods, better Interior, Dual Exhaust on the V6, Painted Engine Covers, Black Tops, RedLine Wheels, Various Stick Shift Elements, Challenger Script Badging instead of BLOCK Letters, "Old School" MoPar Stripe Packages, Halo's & Sequential Lights, Ram Air Kits, and sooo much more. Even the going back to the regular use of the Name/Term: "MOPAR" came from MoPar Enthusiasts.

So, you guys try not to rely on the folks in the Ivory Tower in Detroit making all the Designer money. They get their cues from us, and don't ever forget that.

Enjoy the RIDE...
This is exactly what I've been saying to these fools that say they want a smaller, lighter Challenger, all these years. Be careful what you wish for-you just might get it. Exactly as you've said, they monitor these boards and go to the car shows and all the things you've mentioned have come from us. They see how and what we mod and then copy it.
I bought this car exactly for what it is, large, comfy, and in your face; with a design that can't be beat. If you want a Mustang wanna be then buy one, don't force it on me. Hopefully Ralph Giles is listening........ a 2018 71 GTX style on a larger car platform?.......

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
My understanding there is a smaller Alfa Romeo frame that has been rumored for the 2018 refresh to make it smaller/lighter.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My understanding there is a smaller Alfa Romeo frame that has been rumored for the 2018 refresh to make it smaller/lighter.
And that is why they will lose many customers, expecially the people who already bought a 2008-2017 version. They will keep what they have, rather than downsize.

Reactions: moparX2

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Ya, the 78 - 83 Challenger was and still is a embarrassment They must not have built or sold many, I don't ever remembering seeing one ,except in pictures...
I had a friend in High School that had a 1979 "Challenger", pictures do not do the car justice. You had to see it in person to actually see how stupid and disgraceful the car actually was. It was a Challenger in name only. Sounded like a sewing machine when he would start it and did not miss a bump in the road. But he loved it because it was a Challenger.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
In all its glory - here it is. '79 Challenger. 2.6 litre engine, a whopping 105 horsepower, and a blistering 0-60 in 12.6 seconds. To be fair, these were dark times for "performance cars" and most people were more concerned about mpg than hp.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
In all its glory - here it is. '79 Challenger. 2.6 litre engine, a whopping 105 horsepower, and a blistering 0-60 in 12.6 seconds. To be fair, these were dark times for "performance cars" and most people were more concerned about mpg than hp.
This is exactly why Detroit lost its hold on the American market which allowed so many imports in. IOW, retreat instead of advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts