Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well then...
So I come out of school, and my Challenger is dirty because of all the snow and sand (gotta love winter). But I notice that on the trunk, someone decided to doodle on the car with their finger. As you know, rubbing the dirt and grit into the paint is not good.
So I proceed to investigate, asking everyone if they knew who did it etc. Finally word gets back to the guy who did it, and he talks to me.
"Hey um.. I heard you were pissed about the car thing, I'll give you money for a car wash, it was just a joke I'm sorry".
Soooo.... I'm not sure what would be safe to say on the forum, but basically I ended up telling him that if it ever happens again he is going to have more damage to worry about, basically.
Anyways I go to a car wash, and get the best one. I come home and low and behold, the marks are still there. The car is spotless and clean, but you can still see where he drew with his finger. Any tips on how to get that off besides just another wash? Will that take care of it?
I know I can obviously full detail it and buff it etc, but I'm not wasting the time or money to do that just yet when its still snowing and all that. Any quick fixes?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Rats! I am totally ticked that anyone would do this to my car or anyone else's. In answer to your question just yesterday while washing another car of mine I noticed some light scratching in the paint that may have been from someone with a shopping cart. I used Meguiar's SwirlX and a detailer to remove the scratching. It's a lightweight rubbing compound great to use by hand. I believe a clay bar can do the same (maybe?) better.
Good Luck! Maybe the guy that did this should be shown what he caused. I mean I would hate for you to take a drastic measure and have trouble come back on you especially in a school setting. But if knows what he did it might stop him from doing it to others. Lou.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rats! I am totally ticked that anyone would do this to my car or anyone else's. In answer to your question just yesterday while washing another car of mine I noticed some light scratching in the paint that may have been from someone with a shopping cart. I used Meguiar's SwirlX and a detailer to remove the scratching. It's a lightweight rubbing compound great to use by hand. I believe a clay bar can do the same (maybe?) better.
Good Luck! Maybe the guy that did this should be shown what he caused. I mean I would hate for you to take a drastic measure and have trouble come back on you especially in a school setting. But if knows what he did it might stop him from doing it to others. Lou.
Oh no, I already handled him. That's all set lol

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
probably a hand wash will get those marks off I'm going to guess.

similar story...in the condo building I live in part time, we have a pretty big underground parking facility. There's limited doors to get into the hallways and also lots of construction so cars that are parked there for any more than a couple of days without moving get a pretty thick layer of dust on them. Someone has obviously taken exception to the cars that are long term parked near the doorways as there is writing in the dust all over them...mostly on the glass, but now it's all over the hood and the sides etc. The collection I've seen the last couple of days includes two pretty new vettes and a nice mercedes.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
It won't take much. What boyohboy suggested is a good starting point. SwirlX is a nice, very light polishing compound designed to remove minor swirls and scratches. You can find a bottle in any auto parts store, Walmart sells it the cheapest for less than $7 a bottle.

Apply the SwirlX with a foam applicator pad (the yellow circular ones about the size of your palm). Put 2-3 pea sized drops on your applicator (the polish is super thick and it will take a little effort to squeeze it from the bottle) and apply moderate pressure for about 30-60 seconds using either a circular motion, or a crosshatch pattern. Keep your working area to about 24" square.

Don't let it dry, buff it away while it's still hazy with a clean microfiber towel and check your results. If the marks are still there, they should be fainter. Re-apply the process.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I would LOVE to know what goes on in people's heads.....why is it OK to trash someone's stuff? It makes me crazy that we spend so much time and money on our Challengers and some Dufus feels the need to mess with it. Like everyone else said.....a little swirl remover should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'm betting just a quick wax with a little more pressure than normal will do the job.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I had a "smudge/flaw" a while back that I simply could not get out with detailing spray, wax, etc. Finally, someone suggested Meguiars Scratch X for it. It worked! I don't know what makes this different, but it did the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I would LOVE to know what goes on in people's heads.....why is it OK to trash someone's stuff? It makes me crazy that we spend so much time and money on our Challengers and some Dufus feels the need to mess with it. Like everyone else said.....a little swirl remover should do the trick.
Thats easy to know, they have a vacuum between ears, and what there is of a brain is the size of a BB. Also there may be a hint of jealously in there also.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts

I used to wonder too. Then I started paying attention to the cars some of those people drive and that question was answered pretty quickly. If I ever take mine to a parking lot I always try to park away from folks, and when that is not possible, next to really well kept cars - casue I know those people at least appreciate what they have enough to take care of it and its more likely they will be cautious and courteous around other cars.

Not always perfect, just playing the odds...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts