Confused about headers

Discussion in '5.7L Exhaust' started by Shemp, May 4, 2017.

1. Shemp

Shemp New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Hello everyone...I have spent several days reading online about kooks LTs vs SRT shorties. I feel that I am more confused now than when I started, everything is conflicting or old info.

I have a set of coated Kooks LTs with high flow cats. I also have someone that wants to buy them from me and give me a set of SRT shorties and mids for $350 trade value.

The car is a 2012 RT STP auto with a 392 intake manifold and Corsa extreme exhaust.

The only possible future mod would be a 392 cam. I'd love a SC but with kid 2 on the way I doubt that will happen in the next 5 years.

So, what would the power difference be between the Kooks LTs and the SRT shorties on a nearly stock 5.7? If it is only 10 HP then I will sell the LTs and get the SRT stuff. If it is more like 15-20 HP difference then I will keep the LTs.

Anybody have any real, provable experience/numbers? Every dyno graph I find someone has added a cam or a SC along with the headers.

2. 12SRT8YJ

12SRT8YJ Member Military Public Safety

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat SHAKER
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hot Rod Magazine had a good video on YouTube that did some engine dyno testing of the exact points you are trying to answer. It seemed the power bands were at different points between the two. I remember them saying one will give better power on the low end and the other will benefit mid-range and top end. Worth looking for that to see for yourself.

3. my05hammer

my05hammer Member Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    A feend of mine has the kooks LTs and they are a very sweet setup. However, ground clearence is an issue as his car sets .75 lower than my Challenger with STP. My vote is for the Shorties. They give better tq down low and in midrange for improved street driving. I am running BBK shorties and love them.

4. 19dart66

19dart66 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    My vote is if you already have the Kooks lt and high flow cats then put them on, it takes about the same amount of time and effort for both types and tune to get the most out of them. I went to long tubes from JBA shorty's and gained all the way through the rpm band, It revs quicker and freer than before and gets up to speed quicker in normal and spirited driving. At the track(only went once so far since change) My son ran the same times as he did in the fall in cooler weather an better track prep, my 10 second Dart was off by 2 tenths and 2 miles an hour on that day. I call that a win for the long tube headers and high flow cats on my 2012 R/T C 5.7 6m.