Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First observation upon opening the box is that the Corsa mufflers with the dual tips were much larger than the stock cans. It's not even close, Corsa cans look double the volume over the stock cans. That did not delay my install.

After install I fired it up and first impression was that with the Corsas the exhaust was more muffled. I drove it around the block and I'm telling you all the stock cans are noticeably louder.

This is so bizarre. I paid for and went through the time and effort to install the Corsa cans to get just that little extra growl and got a noticeably less growl. I made a costly mistake it seems. The immediate recourse that comes to mind is a mid muffler delete which I'll likely have to pay a muffler shop for that.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I installed a complete Corsa Extreme exhaust on my previous 2012 Challenger R/T. They are famous for no drone. That's because they have no sound!! My install cost me $2,000.00 which was a 100% waste of money. I agree with your comments. I since purchased a 17 T/A and that 2.75" stock exhaust and it sounds MUCH better than my Costa exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Give it a month or two before chopping that exhaust up. Had the same initial feeling about my Corsa Extreme's.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Mine never got louder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the next day and a Sunday. I found a muffler shop that was open and answered the phone.

Arleta Mufflers, 13906 Van Nuys Blvd, Arleta, CA. The skilled mechanics there had cars lined up and were very busy, no prob for me. Three or four hours later, they cut out the mids and welded in 3" plus, oversized pipes to basically dump and jump the mid cans.

Dude wanted $100. I told him jokingly that was too much and immediately gave him $200. I gave the other two mechanics in the shop $20 bucks. Now the exhaust is right. Drone is not an issue with a manual. My RT sounds like a kitty cat until when I step into the pedal it roars like the king of the jungle. The Corsa sport axle back and the middle muffler swap for straight pipe is the sweet spot for my tastes.

No doubt, I did not need to go the whole nine yards paying $1500 including shipping for the mufflers. I could have just done the mid muffler delete and got the same results. The thing is that I do like them dual tips.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I have Corsa Extreme on mine for about 11 years. I think it sounds great and is without a doubt louder. With the newer cars that have active exhaust I’m not sure why you would change it. In my case it was cat back exhaust si it had more impact than the OP’s axle back.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
That's a bummer. Hate to hear someone not happy with a mod. Glad you got it straightened around

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Premium Member
19,187 Posts
One thing about exhaust systems is that sound is very subjective. What's loud enough for one is not loud enough for another and too loud for a third. The only way to be sure is to listen to systems in advance in person which is not the most convenient thing to do.
Not sure what the OP's year is,but back in '09, the R/T exhaust sounded like a Honda Accord and was no match for the car. In my case, I relied on the advise of some knowledgeable folks here and installed the Corsa Extreme. 10 years later,its still one of the best mods I did to the car.
Sorry it didn't work out for the OP because its not an inexpensive mod.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,392 Posts
I installed a Corsa Xtreme two years ago on my R/T. The sound of the Corsa was an immediate improvement over stock, which sounded like a sewing machine. Other forum members advised me that the exhaust note would deepen or "burn-in" over time, so I took a few video recordings of the exhaust sound and uploaded them to YouTube for comparison.

The first two were recorded just before and immediately after I had the Corsa installed. the next video was recorded 30 days later. The final video was recorded 6 months after installation. Not trying to change anyone's mind because even after six months, the exhaust will still sound too tame for a lot of owners. But it was the exhaust note I was looking for at the time. Not the raspy, ripping sound some Challenger owners favor, just a deeper burble than stock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Little trick I learned about Corsa exhausts if you have a automatic buy the corsa kit for a six speed manual. The mid mufflers on the six speed kits are not much larger than a tomato juice can and they let it rumble! And yes they do get louder with age. I’m running that kit on my ‘10 model automatic with stainless works long tubes no cats and it speaks loud. Also no drone. I have a Getrag 3.73 rear gear which keeps the revs up at highway speeds don’t know but that my help with keeping drone at bay.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I agree they do get better with age. Mine had the original “suitcase” mufflers since it was an automatic. I think the true test is what they sound like a full throttle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts