Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Challenger RT. It lived for five years in the Florida heat and the past year in the Oregon cold. Yesterday, it wouldn't start. Dash lights blinked, it clicked, but no start. I guessed the battery was dead. We called Triple-A and they came with a handheld jump start box. Dude plugged it into the remote charge terminal at the front of the car, I hit start, and the car started. I drove it to the local tire store for either a new battery or a charge.

But... my iLX-107 Alpine CarPlay radio is now showing a blank screen. It's been working perfectly for the past six or so months since it was installed.

Local auto store says they think the radio caused the battery to die. This seems improbable to me. Wondering whether the jump itself could have fried the radio, or if there's another issue. It was mondo expensive to get the radio installed and a royal pain, so ripping it out and trying to get a replacement is something I'm not looking forward to.

Right now, we're charging the battery and hoping a charged battery will solve the problem, but the blank black screen has me worried.

Any insights?

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,222 Posts
Five year old battery under those extreme weather conditions? You're running on borrowed time. Also, if your radio was in the on position when jump started, it could have received a power surge it couldn't compensate for. Hope it's something minor. ;)

·
The Baron
585 Posts
Check fuses. I've heard, with newer cars, it's best to let the "donor" car idle for 5 minutes while connected to the dead "recipient." This will passively charge the dead battery, and help mitigate any surges.

I don't know how true any of this is, and I'm not sure how this would work with a handheld jump-starter.

Sometimes my radio (8.4AN) does funky things. I'll shut the car off, but the radio will remain on (with the screen backlight off). I can tell that it's on because there is a very faint picture present, which is clearly the LCD with no backlight.

This has killed my battery a few times over the years, and the radio acts strange/won't boot once the battery is recharged -- this necessitates a complete reset (either by pulling the fuse or battery cable for a few minutes).

I'm unsure if this is your problem, but I hope it's a simple and cheap fix.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
If the radio was wired incorrectly to the constant hot, it could be the cause of the battery drain. My guess as to why it won’t come on is that you have a dead battery cell and not enough juice for it.

Reactions: Coder

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,914 Posts
There may be a fuse at the back of the radio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, folks. After checking the fuses that were reachable without pulling out the dash (they were all good), I went the new battery route. And while the radio wouldn't kick on after the old one was charged, as soon as the new battery went in, the radio came back. Yay! Thanks for your advice.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,222 Posts
There you go. Glad it all worked out! .....One last thing. Did you verify that the new battery had a small vent hole near the top of the battery that faces the rear seat and that the vent hose was reattached to it?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,914 Posts
Thanks, folks. After checking the fuses that were reachable without pulling out the dash (they were all good), I went the new battery route. And while the radio wouldn't kick on after the old one was charged, as soon as the new battery went in, the radio came back. Yay! Thanks for your advice.
Aweome. Some of these new radios nee a certain voltage to start up. Glad you found the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There you go. Glad it all worked out! .....One last thing. Did you verify that the new battery had a small vent hole near the top of the battery that faces the rear seat and that the vent hose was reattached to it?
Nope. The installer put it in. I'll check the manual and see if I can verify that. I did ask if it was a vented battery and they said yes, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts