Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the mod game, but since I purchased my Challenger last year I can't stop! Now, I'm wanting to increase the engine performance. I've been looking at a few threads here trying to see which route to take. When they announced the numbers on the Hellcat, I wanted one real bad. But since I've invested so much into my current Challenger, I've decided to continue on putting my own stamp on it.

With that said, I'm thinking about changing out the headers and cam. I've read about getting bigger valves, but not exactly sure how to go about doing that or if I should. Also, I want to change out the exhaust system to gain a deeper sound. I'm open to any and all information. I have a 2011 6-speed R/T that currently has no engine changes. I currently have 5 years left on my warranty. So, if any changes are going to void it they can wait a few years.

Fire away folks and thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Changing the cam will void your warranty on the motor. Your not going to be able to get a whole lot of power out of the car without voiding the warranty. Only real mods you could do would be exhaust, cold air intake, catch can, sticky tires.My service guy at the dodge place said that messing with anything catalytic converter up would void the warranty. Not sure how accurate that is though.

·
12,990 Posts
A supercharger is without a doubt the best bang for your buck as far as creating a sleeper, it will also give you more HP than head cam and valve work. I've already gone this route to get the sleeper car, you can check out my signature to see what I've done.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I will chime in on exhaust.

There are any number of ways you can go especially because you have a six speed and you won't encounter as many issues with drone.

First off HP gains from exhaust will be minimal. Do not be fooled by claims from manufacturers. You will see a lot of claims like 20+HP gains. In reality you might (and I stress might) see 5-10 HP gain from a performance cat back system.

The beauty and draw from a new cat back or any exhaust modification comes from the sound.

I have gone two routes with my car. First I did the resonator delete and added some Flo-Pro mufflers. I also added 3 inch pipes from the mufflers to the tips. The sound was pretty good. (Although the 3' pipes were probably a bit to big and I may have lost a little low end torque.) Anyway I liked the sound and for about a year was pretty happy with it. For about 200 bucks it was a relatively cheap mod. After about a year though I kept finding myself wanting a more aggressive tone to the car. Again the reso delete was a good sound and for the price I couldn't beat it but I wanted more.

After some time I bit the bullet and bought the Borla Atak cat back system. It was around 1200 bucks. I can honestly say it was money well spent. I felt like I got back a little of the low end torque I had lost and the sound is absolutely incredible, especially at full throttle.

If money is not an huge issue go with Zoomers or Borla for the most aggressive sound (in my opinion). If you want it a little more tame look into the Corsa which sounds great at open throttle but is a little more quiet at idle. All of those systems are going to cost you over a grand.

What may be the best option of all if you take into account price/performance/quality may be the Solo Mach X system. They run under 1K and sound (in my opinion) a bit like the Corsa systems or the Borla S-Type. (Check out on Youtube) I think dollar for dollar it may be the best bargain. It was a really close second for me behind the Borla Atak.

You really only want to do this mod once.

The other thing I will chime in on are CAI. They make for really nice eye candy in the engine bay. Again like the claims from exhaust companies the CAI guys do the same thing and make wild claims like 15-20 HP gains from a CAI. It simply isn't true. That would mean you could, based on claims add about 30-40 HP to your car with a simply a CAI and Cat Back exhaust. Simply not the case. Again with a CAI you may gain about 2-5HP maybe a bit more. I have a Volant CAI system which is enclosed and has a snorkel that runs into the front fender well for the 'coldest air possible'. I can honestly say I didn't much from the install of it other than maybe a little throttle response. Save your money and go with a simple drop in filter from K&N or better yet the dry no oil filter from AFE. (again personal opinion). You can spend 50 bucks for the filter or 250-350 for a CAI system and probably see the same results. The air boxes on these cars already are set up much like a CAI system.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are great reads and I'm learning a lot. So, please keep them coming. I will say that I'm not trying to build a race car as I won't be heading to my nearest race track to seek out competition. But, to have a monster lerking under the hood like the hulk is priceless in my opinion. I have a friend who has a 2007 300 C and he haspolished and ported heads, replaced the cam and has larger valves. With all thos changes he's been able to increase his RWHP to over 400. It doesn't sound much, but he started out with about 270 RWHP. And he catches a lot of people off guard thinking his 4-door car with 22 inch wheels is a slow moving green box! That's what I'm trying to build! I know it will take time, but I'm all in. Once my 6 year old son gets older and is able to help, this will eventually become his car.....one day a long time from now!!

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Changing the cam will void your warranty on the motor. Your not going to be able to get a whole lot of power out of the car without voiding the warranty. Only real mods you could do would be exhaust, cold air intake, catch can, sticky tires.My service guy at the dodge place said that messing with anything catalytic converter up would void the warranty. Not sure how accurate that is though.
My BBK Headers were installed by the dealer that sold me the car. As was many other mods done. The warranty is not affected.

-John

·
12,990 Posts
You could also consider a nitrous setup.

·
12,990 Posts
Well you either have 3.73 or 3.92 gearing depending on your wheel size, if you have 20 inch wheels you have 3.92 and 3.73 if you have 18 inch wheels. Either way you could go to a taller gear and get better low end performance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It originally had 20 inch wheels, but I recently went with 22 inch wheels (22x 9 for the front and 22x11 for the rear).

·
12,990 Posts
Wow!! Performance and big wheels like that don't go together too well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, I know!! I'll get better performance by staying with the stock wheels, which I still have. Like I said, I'm not trying to burn up any tracks or become the next Geno Torreta!! I'm just trying to add a little more punch to my current package!

·
12,990 Posts
I know, I know!! I'll get better performance by staying with the stock wheels, which I still have. Like I said, I'm not trying to burn up any tracks or become the next Geno Torreta!! I'm just trying to add a little more punch to my current package!
I understand, performance isn't cheap by any means, if I were you I would set some kind of a budget and take it from there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with Dodge Boy ^^^ If money is no issue there are a world of options, from stroker motors, to the very popular superchargers, and turbos for more top end. Budget is the biggest thing to consider on a performance build. You can't get away with a $1000 major upgrade on these new engines like you could on carberated engines

·
12,990 Posts
I've always felt that modding should be a step by step project with an ultimate goal at the end. A lot of people make the mistake of throwing money in to mods and then changing there plans and end up wasting money needlessly.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
I have to agree with Dodgeboy, take your time on the modifications. If you are able to do the work yourself, the tasks and results are very rewarding.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to create a budget because I'm not rich by any means. Getting a supercharger will probably be a few years down the road. So, any options other than that are on the table. I recently watched a few videos about ported and polished heads, learning a few things about the process. That kind of work I won't be able to do myself, I'll have to pay a good garage to do. There is a well known speed shop garage in Austin that my friend got his work done. I want to keep costs low, so whatever work I can do myself I'm willing to do.

·
12,990 Posts
Well then a Trinity tuner would be a good starting point and it would be helpful down the road with future mods.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 2011 R/T 6 speed as well. The best sleeper mod was debadging and putting 17" v6 wheels on it. All the bolt ons, cam, nitrous, and suspension are good too.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
I will chime in on exhaust.

There are any number of ways you can go especially because you have a six speed and you won't encounter as many issues with drone.

First off HP gains from exhaust will be minimal. Do not be fooled by claims from manufacturers. You will see a lot of claims like 20+HP gains. In reality you might (and I stress might) see 5-10 HP gain from a performance cat back system.

The beauty and draw from a new cat back or any exhaust modification comes from the sound.

I have gone two routes with my car. First I did the resonator delete and added some Flo-Pro mufflers. I also added 3 inch pipes from the mufflers to the tips. The sound was pretty good. (Although the 3' pipes were probably a bit to big and I may have lost a little low end torque.) Anyway I liked the sound and for about a year was pretty happy with it. For about 200 bucks it was a relatively cheap mod. After about a year though I kept finding myself wanting a more aggressive tone to the car. Again the reso delete was a good sound and for the price I couldn't beat it but I wanted more.

After some time I bit the bullet and bought the Borla Atak cat back system. It was around 1200 bucks. I can honestly say it was money well spent. I felt like I got back a little of the low end torque I had lost and the sound is absolutely incredible, especially at full throttle.

If money is not an huge issue go with Zoomers or Borla for the most aggressive sound (in my opinion). If you want it a little more tame look into the Corsa which sounds great at open throttle but is a little more quiet at idle. All of those systems are going to cost you over a grand.

What may be the best option of all if you take into account price/performance/quality may be the Solo Mach X system. They run under 1K and sound (in my opinion) a bit like the Corsa systems or the Borla S-Type. (Check out on Youtube) I think dollar for dollar it may be the best bargain. It was a really close second for me behind the Borla Atak.

You really only want to do this mod once.

The other thing I will chime in on are CAI. They make for really nice eye candy in the engine bay. Again like the claims from exhaust companies the CAI guys do the same thing and make wild claims like 15-20 HP gains from a CAI. It simply isn't true. That would mean you could, based on claims add about 30-40 HP to your car with a simply a CAI and Cat Back exhaust. Simply not the case. Again with a CAI you may gain about 2-5HP maybe a bit more. I have a Volant CAI system which is enclosed and has a snorkel that runs into the front fender well for the 'coldest air possible'. I can honestly say I didn't much from the install of it other than maybe a little throttle response. Save your money and go with a simple drop in filter from K&N or better yet the dry no oil filter from AFE. (again personal opinion). You can spend 50 bucks for the filter or 250-350 for a CAI system and probably see the same results. The air boxes on these cars already are set up much like a CAI system.
Completly agree with the exhaust and CAI mods not giving much at all in the way of an increase unless you go with high flow cats and a dyno tune. Porting and polishing the heads can be good for a few ponys IF...and only IF...the shop doing it REALLY knows the Hemi and does top notch work...and then too...you will need a dyno tune to take full advantage of that work. Wanting to keep your warranty safe and getting anything over 50 extra horses is darn near impossible. Even nitrous that you could concievably take everything back off for a trip to the dealer for a warranty claim does leave some tell tale evidence of its use if they know what to look for...and can be VERY dangerous to your engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts