Dodge Challenger Forum banner

481 - 500 of 536 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2016 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,157 Posts
That is a great plum crazy engine bay!!!

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,733 Posts
Just painted my coolant overflow tank to match my red and black theme.
Looks good...I need to do search to see if anyone's done a writeup on painting the coolant tank. Seems like a good winter project.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Looks good...I need to do search to see if anyone's done a writeup on painting the coolant tank. Seems like a good winter project.

It's not hard...I scuffed with a pad, cleaned with alcohol, shot some adhesion promoter, followed by base coats and clear. Seems to be holding up well. I did let it sit and cure for a solid week before putting it back in.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,733 Posts
It's not hard...I scuffed with a pad, cleaned with alcohol, shot some adhesion promoter, followed by base coats and clear. Seems to be holding up well. I did let it sit and cure for a solid week before putting it back in.
I'm pretty sure I bookmarked a how-to that someone posted (2013HemiOrangeRT, I think) as a general guide to painting plastic parts...how much is involved with yanking the tank out. Think that's my concern. Getting it out without making a mess and obviously not spilling any coolant on any painted surfaces.

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,047 Posts
The tank actually comes out pretty easy. Loosen the two bolts holding it in and as you lift the reservoir up the fluid will drain back down the hose into the system. When the tank's empty pull the hoses and plug them. You can remove the tank without spilling a drop. I think KeysB5blue did a thread on how to paint it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I did my coolant tank a little different than others. I sanded mine down with 500 grit, cleaned it really well, masked off a window to see the coolant level and masked off inlet/outlet ports and cap area, sprayed adhesion promotor, then a rustoleum texture paint, then final coats with the DE1634 Duplicolor low gloss paint.
It matches the texture of my CAI box and other underhood items so gives it a factory look.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,733 Posts
The tank actually comes out pretty easy. Loosen the two bolts holding it in and as you lift the reservoir up the fluid will drain back down the hose into the system. When the tank's empty pull the hoses and plug them. You can remove the tank without spilling a drop. I think KeysB5blue did a thread on how to paint it.
Thanks! :smileup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone know were to get the vinyl HEMI lettering for the 5.7 engine covers? I ordered them before but can't find who or where I ordered them from.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,366 Posts
Does anyone know were to get the vinyl HEMI lettering for the 5.7 engine covers? I ordered them before but can't find who or where I ordered them from.
Check with GT. He does vinyl/custom vinyl and he can hook you up.

481 - 500 of 536 Posts