Dodge Challenger Forum banner

501 - 520 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Vinyl decals

Hi you can get the vinyl decals from Reflective concepts, and you can get the HEMI letters and the 5.7L V8 letters in polished Stainless Steel at American Car Craft, i had the vinyl decals at first but i have the stainless ones now and there great. American Car Craft sells them both seperately.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone tried Krylon Fusion paint on engine cover?

Has anyone tried the Krylon Fusion paint? A member of my club shared an extra cover withme this weekend at a ModMeet and I am figuring out how I want to "make it my own". It is already painted in Go Mango but my Challenger in Tored and that would clash just a bit? I am fine with using other products, just asking if anyone has tried the Fusion paint for plastic.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Krylon fusion was one of the paints I used while painting my engine cover. I went promoter, primer, promoter krylon fusion, and then promoter testors while i was painting.

Here's what it looked like after spraying krylon fusion red which seems fairly orange to me. Might work well for torred.

Here's the cover after starting to add metal flake red.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tored is supposed to be Touch of Orange and RED. Which Fusion color did you use? Were there any sags or runs? I am not disagreeing with what you did, but I thought the idea behind Fusion is that it had a promoter built into it? How long has it been on your car and how is it holding up? I am thinking of using a two tone like some of the others have. IE: painting the center and the HEMI/valve cover part red and the rest black. I am not sure if the black will be flat or gloss. Depends on how much taping I want to do:4-dontknow:.
Thanks for posting an answer.

·
2,470 Posts
Tored is supposed to be Touch of Orange and RED. Which Fusion color did you use? Were there any sags or runs? I am not disagreeing with what you did, but I thought the idea behind Fusion is that it had a promoter built into it? How long has it been on your car and how is it holding up? I am thinking of using a two tone like some of the others have. IE: painting the center and the HEMI/valve cover part red and the rest black. I am not sure if the black will be flat or gloss. Depends on how much taping I want to do:4-dontknow:.
Thanks for posting an answer.
I think I used red pepper mainly since I didn't want to have to go through tons of Testor's paint. I haven't taken too many under hood shots since Carlisle but here's what it looks like. As for fusion bonding to the plastic it might have but I had enough hours into it I didn't want to risk it. For the center section I had a few places where the tape pulled up paint. In the end I decided it was easier to take the center section off for painting. Until it's clear coated the paint is a little delicate.

Take it easy
Jay

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,484 Posts

I actually installed these 3gCustomz aluminum half covers (with HEMI R/T cutouts) back in March, but somehow I never posted these pics to this thread! I had the half covers professionally powdercoated to match the colors of my R/T (pitch black with red stripes)

·
2,470 Posts
The Half covers look great. I added a design cutz insert to my engine cover this spring.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2016 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,157 Posts
Jay, I love your engine cover!!! Looks amazing!

Reactions: RunningWithBeers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the blow up Panda! Was thinking of changing it a bit but I guess it'll just leave it alone for now. Want to paint the coil packs too so when I do take the cover off there's still some color there also. There are some really awesome covers out there!
Hey Dino
Now that one looks good too! I just painted my plug covers or whatever they are called so when I pull the cover off, at least there's some color on the valve cover, it was too plain jane looking without the cover. Was thinking of putting the Mopar M on the center of my cover just above the 5.7 V8 emblem. Otherwise it's fine the way it is. Guys are really creative with this stuff!
Hey Dino, want to do my cover as well. How/Who painted your engine cover.
Tks

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am trying to find an answer to a paint compatibility question I have. I have scoured the web to no avail. I have even tried a separate thread.
I am using color matched Acrylic Urethane rattle can paint to paint my V6 cover. It looks like via the manufacturer's website that they have 2 types of clear-coat available in can paint: 2 part Urethane and Acrylic Lacquer. I am assuming that the rattle can version is the Acrylic Lacquer.
Does anyone know of compatibility issues with using acrylic lacquer as a clearcoat over Urethane basecoat?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I decided to email them and ask what type of clearcoat they use and any known compatibility issues....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Jumped in and did my engine bay painting. My car is Chicago Bears themed, hence the Blue w/Orange scheme. Used chrome pin-striping for the ridges on the airbox and engine cover elements.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Redid the chrome. Was a chrome tape, now it's chrome moulding. I rounded off the ends, and even scraped the underside at the tips, then added more 3M tape. That way it isn't sitting on top with a sharp drop, but rather sinks more into the piece, like the raised plastic design that is already there. The insert pic is the tape which was "OK", but always peeled up.
New chrome trim 3-18.jpg

·
Registered
556 Posts
Also reapplied the 3.6 VVT decals. I didn't remove the silver underneath, and it showed some on the edges.
Newer Engine cover trim.jpg

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Looks good to me

501 - 520 of 536 Posts