Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I just ordered a T/A last week and can't wait, but was curious how the process works on a custom order? The dealer just told me that they will give me my VIN when they get it and send me updates, but it will likely take 6 to 12 weeks with everything going on right now with the chip shortage.

I didn't think to ask is there a Dodge site I can check status on as well once I have the VIN number?

I was also curious about the hood pins. I added them to my car, but was wondering if the cables rub the paint off after a while?

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,281 Posts
Can't help with following your build, but as far as the OEM hood pins. They came on my 2010 R/T eleven years ago and the paint is still there.
20190319_141509.jpg
;)

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
884 Posts
No Dodge stopped the Follow your Car being Built a while back. 12 weeks count on maybe longer... Some who ordered in Jan still haven't gotten their cars yet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've got the hood pins on my 2018, been there a couple years and no issues, the cables are coated in a plastic so they won't wear the paint

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good to hear about the hood pins, not good about the 6 month+ wait. Guess I have all that time for a larger down payment. Oh is putting wax on the matte black hood, roof, trunk or the stripe a bad idea or doesn't really affect it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Good to hear about the hood pins, not good about the 6 month+ wait. Guess I have all that time for a larger down payment. Oh is putting wax on the matte black hood, roof, trunk or the stripe a bad idea or doesn't really affect it?
Ceramic Coatings by Mothers, Meguires both work fine.regular wax not advised.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I found a brochure in my T/A glove box recommending Dr. Beasley's paint care line of products....so I ordered the complete kit..around $235 but should last couple years...no wax products on matte black....nice selection on a T/A.

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
69 Posts
You can do old school spray it yourself car wash. Never automatic car wash. I dont care if it says touchless or not.
I use the supa wash in my hood. Once a week at least it gets the sprayer. And dont be afraid of the spot free rinse, that stuff is magic.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I used to use the self spray wash a lot when I lived in the last town unless the car was really dirty or had bugs on the front. It was basically across the street and was cheap. But not sure where to go near my new place. I guess I could hand wash it when it's nice out, but it is very time consuming.

·
Registered
884 Posts
To me nothing beats the look of a good Hand Wash and Detailed Vehicle and when all is said and done you know its done right. I always park in the shade get all my stuff ready and pre-rinse with a mist use a Microfiber Car Mop a bucket of Meguires Crystal Shine Car Soap and go to it. Being in the shade you got a little more time but I do sections Top First, Trunk or Hood, then down the sides. Fender, Door, Quarter, Back End or Front end after each panel rinse if thoroughly, After its all clean use a shammy, first that is lightly moist and gently drag it across the panel flat and wring it out repeat. Once its dry let it sit now its not only clean its cool and then begin to coat with now Ceramic Wax with nice clean microfiber cloths a panel at a time.

For anyone with the Vinyl Wrapped Panels you lock yourself into needing a way more expensive Wax and its more work but that's part of the price you pay if you want it to turn heads. 2 of my friends got 50 Anniversary Models and they had the Vinyls removed and painted the areas. So if your planning on ordering a T/A or Black Vinyl , Decal its going to be even a larger pita. Most detail shops will soak you for the extra work they have to do on those and products they have to use.

Hands Free Car Washes are a joke and not even a good one I wont use air blowers either because it can push water into places you cant dry and we all know after time what that causes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What do you do in the winter though. BTW, the matte finish care is one of the things that had me Leary of getting one of the 50th's or TA's, but removing the wraps and painting the hood is an idea, esp. if you get the gold rush color.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am in FL our Winters are like Spring Time mostly with cooler mornings and late evenings. As for care of the vehicles its all same no matter Weather. As for the Challengers of my Friends one is Gold Rush, and the other is the Sinamon Stick both was weighing the cost of Paint Protective Film vs actual paint and they chose the paint after we talked about it for hours on the phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts