Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I have the Header Orange and I am leaning towards some kind of custom white striping. Looking for some suggestions from the forum. :smileup: what do you gents and ladies think????

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
For your striping I'd go vinyl over paint then if you eventually wanted change it you could or if after x number of years you want to replace with the same vinyl stripes you can do that too.

For striping ideas the white R/T classic stripe would look great. I also think a white full body hockey stick stripe would be nice. Not quite as retro but a white R/T hood to fender stripe in the front with white rear quarter hockey stick stripe would be sweet as well.

Good luck with your mods
Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For your striping I'd go vinyl over paint then if you eventually wanted change it you could or if after x number of years you want to replace with the same vinyl stripes you can do that too.

For striping ideas the white R/T classic stripe would look great. I also think a white full body hockey stick stripe would be nice. Not quite as retro but a white R/T hood to fender stripe in the front with white rear quarter hockey stick stripe would be sweet as well.

Good luck with your mods
Take it easy
Jay
Thanks for your feedback Jay:smileup: I really appreciate it.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Yes, I agree. Don't commit to paint unless you are absolutely sure of what you want.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Holy Cow....definitely go vinyl! I went with painted stripes....what a nightmare that was....had to have my whole car repainted!

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Orange looks great with white or black stripes and probably and stripe you come up with will look great on your car. However like everyone else said go vinyl over paint, it's cheaper and easier to deal with if it doesn't come out the way you want.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Definitely, definitely go vinyl. And I'm partial to black! Good luck with your choice! :smileup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess Vinyl is the way to go :smileup: great forum indeed thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the classic white RT stripes but I think I like that style without the actual letters RT . Decisions, Decisions! They all look great anyway :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I guess Vinyl is the way to go :smileup: great forum indeed thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the classic white RT stripes but I think I like that style without the actual letters RT . Decisions, Decisions! They all look great anyway :4-dontknow:
White with Orange looks soooooo good....don't think you can go wrong with that setup!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,411 Posts
A agree with Dave about the color, black with orange is a great combination. As far as the type, I like the T stripe on the hood, maybe some pinstripes in black (not sure where though). Even the dual hood/trunk lid stripe would look good.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
What color for Redline 3 coat pearl?
white
black
or grey all carbon fiber look
thanks
Personally I like matte black but Redwings has a Redline with white stripes that looks pretty phenomenal as well.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
yes on the vinyl

white on orange looks great, as would black.

black on the redline would look awesome as well.

is there...and if not...maybe there's an opportunity...a website that would allow you to upload your car and then customize it? you know what I'm getting at....add stripes, change wheels...all that stuff...would be cool to get a preview prior to purchase kind of thing.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
IMO, white side stripes look really good. The 1971 inspired design is the style found on current Challenger R/T Classics.

These photos of course depict 1st generation Challengers but you should get the idea. This one is the 1970 design striping.

Another idea is that you could consider tonal colors, i.e. the stripes are a variation of the color of the body.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMO, white side stripes look really good. The 1971 inspired design is the style found on current Challenger R/T Classics.

These photos of course depict 1st generation Challengers but you should get the idea. This one is the 1970 design striping.

Another idea is that you could consider tonal colors, i.e. the stripes are a variation of the color of the body.

I believe rider graphix sells the old style stripe. Anyone have any feedback as to the quality vs the factory stripes?

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I believe rider graphix sells the old style stripe. Anyone have any feedback as to the quality vs the factory stripes?
I have white, 1970 styled side stripes manufactured by Rider Graphix on my own Challenger. Four and a half years after installation, they are still in good shape.

Attachments

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
I guess that I will throw in a couple comments in here for the paint stripe direction, even though folks have had some bad experiences.

Reasons for a painted stripe:
1. No uneven fading issues from prolonged use in the sun. Plastic will always wear out more quickly than paint. Take a look at some older IROC Z's as a reference.

2. Being able to wax onto one unified paint surface instead of dancing around stripes and getting the overlap out.

3. Touch up. If someone door dings your stripe, you have to replace the entire set. Where as if you had painted it, now you only have to touch it up.

4. You can have more choices in paint colors and combinations than exist in stripes. Just as mentioned earlier, you can choose quite a lot. How about purple stripe on yellow or an electric green stripe on a silver car? Paint gives you an endless set of possibilities.

5. Stripe naming, how about adding "Joe' RT" at the end of the stripe if it were painted, this would work. Getting a plastic stripe to mimic that font and color would be impossible.

Reactions: MommaBetty
1 - 20 of 24 Posts