Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Custom Trunk Lid Liner - How To & Free Offer

6K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  TedLora 
#1 ·
As a response to the requests I've gotten for info about my trunk lid liner, I'm going to share my "How To Make Your Own Trunk Lid Liner" with the fine members of the Z. There seems to be enough interest from folks who don't want the factory liner, or just want something "extra" that would be unique or a "one of a kind" mod they can make themselves. This mod seems to garner a good amount of attention at car shows.​

The hardest part of doing making the liner was getting the shape/size/mounting hole spacing correct. Since I've already done that,
I'm willing to share my "template" with anyone who wants to use it to make thier own.
BUT, I'm going to offer my trunk lid liner "template" (pattern) to the first five people who PM me for my USPS mailing address, AND send me a self-addressed stamped 12" X 14" manila envelope for me to send it to them in.
I only have five "patterns" to share.
They're all a tracing of the one I've made - that you can trim and trace onto your lid-liner backer board when making yours.
WHAT I'LL ASK of everyone who gets one from me is to post in this thread when they're done with their pattern - and share it with/send it to the next person who PM's them - and sends them a self-addressed stamped 12" X 14" manila envelope.
This way everyone can continue to share this with minimal cost to any one person.
(This process weeds out the people who "might" want a template, but have no "real commitment" to "actually doing the project". Aside from the cost of making the templates, it costs about $5.00 to mail each one. Consider the cost of sending out several dozen templates - many of which would never be used - and you can see why I'm doing it this way.....)
SO if after reading this you want a pattern, PM me and I'll give you the info to send me your SASE. You all can keep it going after that.
Remember - the FIRST FIVE members to respond and follow through will get the templates first.
Subsequent requests will have to be posted in this thread and after one of the "first five" are done with thiers,
the template can be forwarded to the next person posting here.

The total cost of materials for our project was ~ $55.00.
We did all of the work ourselves (sewing, cutting and assembly), which helped hold the cost below what it would have been for the OEM lid liner alone (if it were available at that time), and gave us something unique and what we feel is far nicer.​

Also please note that I am not "in the business" of making these lid liners or any of the components used in the process, and could not possibly entertain numerous requests for consignment.
I am not a vendor.
I am sharing this information as a courtesy to my fellow Z-members.
:smileup:​

I worked on this lid liner for several weeks and completed it with the help of my wonderful wife's sewing skills. Seeing pictures of liners that other Challenger owners posted in various places - both commercially and home-made was my motivation in doing this mod.
I originally tried making mine so that it extended past the rear of the wing nuts on the trunk lid light bar, but doing so would a) crush the lid liner that I made, and b) allow the trunk lid light bar to "travel" on the liner, so that wouldn't do.
The information and liner you see posted here is a result of my "trials and errors". Hopefully, posting this will save everyone who wants to do this mod a LOT of headaches.
I'm posting here what I've done (with pics of some of the steps and materials) including my materials list. You're welcome to use whatever you please on your mod. The following process and materials worked well for me.

Materials:

Ballkamp Auto Fasteners #665-1322 (available at NAPA)

NAPA Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive #765-1826

4 square yards of felt / fabric - matching trunk liner color
(BE CAREFUL to avoid using anything with polyester or plastic fibers in it since it tends to melt under the heat of an iron. I STRONGLY suggest you use "natural" materials - like cotton or wool felt).

Your Emblem / Logo Pattern - users choice (use your own pattern / SRT logo not included with the liner template).

"Backer board" (24" X 48") for the backbone of the liner. I used a 3/16 foamboard like this, and after trial and error - and a lot of trimming to cardboard, cut my pattern.

Template - from this offer - to locate and drill holes, and form your liner backer.

Tools:
Straight Edge/Metal Yard Stick,
X-acto Knife,
Tape Measure,
Pencil,
White-Out Correction Fluid (and applicator brush),
Tailor Pins (large head)

Steps:
First, place the template against the inside of your trunk lid - to ensure proper fit and location of the mounting holes (trace the mounting holes onto the ribs of the trunk with pencil for drilling [if necessary]).
NOTE: the 2008 (and some 2009) models DID NOT have pre-punched holes in the trunk lid support ribs from the factory! You will need to drill holes (using a "stop" on the bit to avoid piercing or denting the trunk "skin") to mount the liner. I've also been advised that my template aligns two of the mounting holes where a "rectangular opening" exists on the 2008 models. These will need to be relocated from those indicated on the template to another location more suitable for models of that year.

After the shape and mounting hole locations are transferred from the template to your backer, score five lines 3/4" apart across the reverse side of the board (noted on the templates) - to conform the lip of the liner to the shape/curve of the trunk. NOTE - I only cut the paper on the back of the board (NOT through the board) so I could use a hard/stiff straight-edge to "snap" the board to form a curve (like you would do when cutting/installing sheet-rock). I then duct taped the "ribbed" area to keep it from tearing through the scored areas or drooping after assembly.

I used duct tape to repair any mistakes I made, which are easily hidden well by the two (total) layers of felt I used to cover the foamboard.
My wife took a floor mat (the rear ones are smaller) into a fabric store to match the color of the trunk interior as closely as possible. The felt we used is lighter and easier to work with than carpeting or woven fabric, and it's also easier to glue to the foamboard.

I cut two patterns of my liner on the felt with an extra 1 1/2" around the perimeter to trim off after being glued. This is MUCH easier than cutting the exact shape - and trying to glue it exactly where I wanted it without making a mistake.
After the foamboard was cut and formed to fit, I used NAPA Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive to mount the felt on the board. Spray (medium setting - the can has multiple settings - read the directions before applying) two coats on the face of the foamboard and the back of ONE layer of the felt. Wait five minutes between coats to apply another to each surface before bonding, making your applications in "opposite directions" - left to right first pass, top to bottom second pass. This ensures even and thorough application.

Once the adhesive is applied, fold the felt in half - sticky side out - and line up the fold with the center mounting holes on the liner backer/foamboard. LIGHTLY lay the felt down and adjust gently so as to NOT tear the felt. THIS STUFF IS STICKY, so exercise due caution - once it's "set", it's NOT going to move, so a second set of hands may help here.

Once the first layer of felt is laid on the foamboard and centered, gently work the felt from the center out with your hands to eliminate wrinkles and lumps.
Trim the excess felt from the edge of the foamboard and trim out your mounting holes. Try to not crush the foamboard or apply excessive pressure in any one area when doing this. Remember - you can always remove more material - you can't add on to it, so be careful trimming.

If you're going to sew a pattern into your liner, do it on the second layer of felt. Lay the second layer under your trimmed & felted backerboard and with the back of a detail paintbrush, apply a dot of paint to the final layer of felt through the center of the holes of your backerboard. When centering / leveling your pattern, laying a yard stick on the outermost holes will give you your reference for placement of your pattern. (Note the white paint dots in the mounting hole locations)

You can sew/iron on/glue your pattern onto your final layer of felt and apply it over the felted backerboard by gluing the final layer on a "half at a time". Once your final layer / surface is prepared and centered on your backerboard, fold it back from one side to the middle and spray your adhesive to the first layer of felt and the back of your top / final layer. Once you've sprayed on two coats, spread the felt back down to bond the "halves" you've glued. Then fold over the remaining half and repeat the process. Again, DO NOT apply too much pressure in smoothing / bonding the layers together.

This time, trim the overlap / excess felt so that you can wrap it around the edges of the backerboard (eliminating bulges and wrinkles) to finish the edges.

I removed the wire loom from 6" above where it meets the trunk lid to the trunk latch housing, leaving the bundle of wires uncovered. This eliminated the bulge of the loom under the liner, but left enough going up and under the backerboard to appear as if it ran the entire length to the latch. I taped the wire to the trunk lid until the installation was completed to keep it out of the way.

I drilled the six holes in the trunk lid so they were 1/64th bigger than how they came from the assembly line. This makes installing the fasteners much easier.
I trimmed the Ballkamp fasteners SLIGHTLY so the ribbed prongs / grippers are a little shorter. They ARE a bit long, so a pair of side-cutters will work well to shorten them by one or two "ribs". Check the length BEFORE final installation of your liner.

Since the liner is roughly the same size as the recess on the lid and will match the weather stripping on the trunk opening, I'd suggest spraying the liner with Scotch Guard or a similar waterproofing product before installation - to keep moisture out of the material.

Place the lid liner with the fasteners in place and gently but firmly press (beging with the center holes first) until they grip the mounting holes in the trunk bracing.
You're done!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

See less See more
#3 ·
I used 09ChallengerDad's template and made my custom trunk liner. Here are the pictures I promised to post up months ago. I had a major rebuild of my car and things got in the way. He and his wife were major contributors to this great looking liner!

#6 ·
Great job guys... DAD as always thanks for all you give back brother..

Great post!

Tim
I'm glad to share things with other Challenger owners. I think it's flattering that they'd want something I put on/in my car on theirs! :smileup:

What value is anything to anyone if there's no one to appreciate and share it with?
:4-dontknow:

#7 ·
I see this is an old post but are these templates still available?

#9 ·
well I see I am late again....so if anyone of the 5 that dad set the template to please send me a PM so I can get started on this mod
thanks so much

mench

#11 ·
Got the template.....Thanks Bob.

#15 ·
Anyone have a templet that they are finished with and would send at my expence?
I would really appreciate it! Looks real nice.
Thank you!
PM me with your details (mailing address) and I'll check to see if I have any templates left (there might be one lurking somewhere in my pile of Challenger stuff).
:smileup:

#16 ·
09ChallengerDad , I am very surprised not more people have jumped on this mod. This is very cool; I look forward to doing this to my Classic once I get home for good in June.
Get home safely, and have a little fun making something unique for your Challenger!

#17 ·
I wanted to bring this thread back to the top since I found a need to replace my lid liner.
The original was a bit large - particularly around the bottom. As water would accumulate in the trunk well (around the outside of the gasket seal), it was being wicked-up by the lid liner where it protruded around the seal between the gasket and the lid. This was causing a "pucker" in the backer-board, gradually pulling the facing on the backer board (and the liner material) away from the foam core.
I (with my wife) have created a new lid-liner that should not suffer from this problem. The new lid liner is approximately 1" shallower on the bottom, tapering off to the original dimensions as it curls around the sides. This is the pattern the new templates will be based on. :smileup:

****I am re-issuing the offer of sending templates/patterns to Z-members who are sincere about using the templates (and above guide) to create their own custom lid liners. All I ask is that you post some pics here in this thread of your completed project, post that you're done with your template, and pass the template on to the next member who would like to use one.
I would be happy to make and send out templates to everyone who wants one at no charge. However, the cost (while only about $6.00 per template with postage) could become substantial - when you consider how many members could conceivably request one (and of course, some will never actually see the project through to the end).
So I will offer the first five templates "gratis" to the first five people who post here (I will be making six, but one is spoken-for already). I will PM those first five members requesting one here for their name and mailing address, and will send the templates out as soon as possible.
****When you are done with your template, PLEASE POST HERE so the next member can request a template. You can PM that member for their mailing address, and post here that it's been sent. This way, the chain can continue with no one person paying more than the cost to mail each template once.

I hope this helps some memberZ do a mod from fabrication to installation and helps make your Challenger "your own".

#18 ·
I used 09ChallengerDad's template and made my custom trunk liner. Here are the pictures I promised to post up months ago. I had a major rebuild of my car and things got in the way. He and his wife were major contributors to this great looking liner!

I had the same plate on my 1989 Blue Iroc-z this is the first time I have seen someone with that plate brings it brings back memories.

#19 ·
So are there any templates left? I was thinking of just having my stock one covered and modified as well us my under hood liner, Ive got a friend that does custom headliner work adn can make some pretty cool shapes and designs as well as using fiberglass.

#20 ·
So are there any templates left? I was thinking of just having my stock one covered and modified as well us my under hood liner, Ive got a friend that does custom headliner work adn can make some pretty cool shapes and designs as well as using fiberglass.
Yes. I have six templates - one is spoken for.
There are now five templates available to the first five memberZ who post here that they want one (and will forward theirs when they're done with it). I will contact them by PM for mailing information, and send them out as quickly as possible.

#24 ·
Two templates sent out. Hopefully, the memberZ will post some pics of their lid-liner when they're completed and installed. :smileup:

I now have four templates left for anyone else who wants to make their own lid liner.

#26 ·
Two templates sent out. Hopefully, the memberZ will post some pics of their lid-liner when they're completed and installed. :smileup:

I now have four templates left for anyone else who wants to make their own lid liner.
Thank you so much for this offer. I would love to have one please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.