Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I live in Mass and I couldn't believe how many Challengers I saw during this past winter. I was in shock. I had a 2013 Camaro and never drove it in the winter. Is this normal for the Challenger? Why are so many people using it as a daily driver even in the northeast?

Any thoughts or is it just my imagination?

I'm seriously considering trading the Wrangler for a RT classic.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
That is what I drive here in Colorado, 2012 R/T I love it ,19.4 mpg average is good enough for me for a daily

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,639 Posts
Mine is a daily driver but the weather here is better in the winter than other places.Last tank was 21.77 mpg.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi all

I live in Mass and I couldn't believe how many Challengers I saw during this past winter. I was in shock. I had a 2013 Camaro and never drove it in the winter. Is this normal for the Challenger? Why are so many people using it as a daily driver even in the northeast?

I'm seriously considering trading the Wrangler for a RT classic.
I don't have mine as a daily driver. I have a Ford F-350 as my daily driver. My car is stored during the winter months, always in an enclosed carport when I am not driving it, and never has been in snow, rain, or salted roads.

I say keep the wrangler as your daily driver, and get a Challenger to enjoy on good weather days, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Why are so many people using it as a daily driver even in the northeast?

Because it's too awesome of a car not to drive! Just depends on your personal needs I suppose, some members garage their rides for the unruly winters, others switch out their tires for a more traction friendly experience on wintery roads. I'm down South though, not much of a change here. Just gets cold and rainy for winter. Mine is a DD, get anywhere from 18-19 mpg, probably would be better if I ever got on the highway.

Also, I notice it's your first post... welcome to the Z, bush! :smileup:

·
Registered
732 Posts
To much snow around here to drive it in winter. Probably the traction would not be soooo good

·
Registered
658 Posts
Our weather here is mild so DDing a Challenger would be pretty easy, though I don't. I prefer to use it for road trips and when I just want to drive. I have a cheap commuter I can beat up during the week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2013 RT Classic is my daily driver. Average over 20 mpg's. Put a set of Blizzaks on it and it'll go through anything. Had no issues getting through the crapiest winter we've had in 30 years.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
My Challenger is my only car (wifey has her Honda Accord). I have to drive it daily. Fortunately, our weather is not to rough on a vehicle. I would consider a "beater" car for the days it rains or snows.

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
I see tons of Mustangs and Camaros driven in the winter in central PA, not very many Challengers though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I live where it hardly snows, but even if I did I'd be driving it. Thats why I bought it, to drive it. I personally cannot stand garage queens.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
As the OP stated I too am stunned at the number of people who driver their Challenger all year round in the SNOW parts of the Country. I would never have imagined it until reading the posts here all Winter long and seeing pics posted etc. Being born and raised in Buffalo, NY I just can't imagine owning a car like this and then driving it even through just one winter. We always had and bought what we called winter beaters. A beater with a heater if we had a nice car and didn't want to ruin our "nice" car.

Again, I simply can not imagine driving a Challenger through even just one winter. I've seen first hand what one winter of salt can do to a car and it's not pretty. You can run them through a car wash daily and it's not going to stop the salt for doing what it does best. In fact some will argue it only speeds the cancerous process along.

This past March when we traveled up to Buffalo to see our new Grandson (rental car) I was stunned at the number of Challengers on the road between FL and NY. Absolutely Stunned. Salt covered from bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I store my car for the winter. The roads where I am are the $hits. they pour the salt and sand to the roads here.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Mine is the only vehicle that I drive. It really isn't a daily driver either. I don't drive in rain, snow, or when the forecast calls for bad weather. I do drive it year round though. We don't have salt issues here. It is all rural driving. I would never be able to park it for the winter. At my age I will drive, drive, and drive it!! If I wanted to just look at a Challenger, I would get a big picture of one and hang it on the wall.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Sounds like you have a different scenario Betty. If you have don't have a salt situation like the North East, rust belt, then driving all year round and daily is a non issue.

I agree, drive them daily, drive them often and rack up those miles! LOL Heck, in eight months we have racked up 12k!!!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
This VERY issue was one of the top issues that we relocated to FL. Sounds crazy I know but storing our 68 Firebird for 7 months out of the year drove me NUTS! When my boss asked me to make a power point presentation as to why it made sense for the company to move me from Buffalo, NY (Co HQ was there) to FL (at the time I was spending one week in NY then one week in FL and back and forth etc. I made a top ten list and number one was so I could drive my muscle car year round. She thought I was being "stupid" for including that in my presentation. LOL

When I gave my presentation, one of the four owners of the company pulled me aside afterward and said "enjoy driving that SOB every single day along A1A you sorry blank blank" and that is when I knew I made the right decision of making that my number one reason. LOL I had taken him to lunch on a few occasions in the Firebird as he was an avid muscle car guy. This is a multi millionaire and he was out rising around with me in my 68 Bird on lunch breaks. Man I miss those days. LOL

Once we moved down here I literally drove my 68 Firebird RamAir III 400/4-speed car as my daily driver for work. I once drove it from Daytona to Pensacola and back. Nine hour dive each way! People thought I was nuts for driving such a rare classic. Not me, I loved every minute of it and would do it again! Cars are for driving, but I would never drive them in the salt! That's my only limit! It's a death sentence to the car. I wish they could use something else...

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Mine was supposed to be a daily driver, but I also realized that I was never going to use it for hauling stuff like tools, lumber, and other gear. Nor was I going to drive it to certain parts of town, or crowded parking like the stadium or shopping malls. So my first "mod" after buying my Challenmger was to buy a used Jeep for those other duties.

The Jeep strategy has worked well for me. Looking at my Jeep this morning, I noticed two new dings and a long scratch on the bumper cover. The Jeep gets driven most of the time to work and around town on errands. My Challenger gets all of the long road trips and anything that requires driving on twisty roads with light traffic. So far the balance has worked for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts