Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My own fault and the car is lowered so I should know better…

By the way: the car was recently polished so the white specks you are seeing on the green part of the car is a reflection of the parking lot; I wouldn’t let it get that bad! I can alway rub in some “Back to Black” to cover up the white in the scrape but now I have to figure out how to fix it. Sand it? I wish they made a clip/sleeve like some people put on their doors edges to protect them. Or maybe I should see if someone is selling their factory yellow corner protectors? :unsure:

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 285875

By the way: the car was recently polished so the white specks you are seeing on the green part of the car is a reflection of the parking lot; I wouldn’t let it get that bad! I can alway rub in some “Back to Black” to cover up the white in the scrape but now I have to figure out how to fix it. Sand it? I wish they made a clip/sleeve like some people put on their doors edges to protect them. Or maybe I should see if someone is selling their factory yellow corner protectors? :unsure:
Hate to see that happen. If you are serious about the yellow protectors, I have a set that were on our car for the ride home and then came off. They are hanging in my garage. I will send these to you free-of-charge if you can use them. Send me a pm with your address and I will get them sent out early next week.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,513 Posts

View attachment 285875

3m Poly Filler sand mix with Hardner sand and prep for painting, Duplicolor makes a Bumper Black Paint so if you prep and paint the whole thing it will look ok.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,687 Posts
3m Poly Filler sand mix with Hardner sand and prep for painting, Duplicolor makes a Bumper Black Paint so if you prep and paint the whole thing it will look ok.
That is VERY helpful information for you to share! If I ever scrape mine, I would want to do this!

And it is so hard to constantly be vigilant about that front spoiler.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
809 Posts

View attachment 285875

Dang! That is unfortunate. And it's why I back into parking spaces every chance I get.

Especially since I did the same thing a couple of years ago ... though not quite that bad. But close!

·
Registered
2008 SRT8 Challenger
646 Posts

View attachment 285875

UGH that’ll wreck your day for sure

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
147 Posts
I have an SRT splitter sitting on a shelf in the garage. I keep meaning to install it but then I see stuff like this.
Knowing my luck it would look like that on both sides in a week.

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
84 Posts
That is VERY helpful information for you to share! If I ever scrape mine, I would want to do this!

And it is so hard to constantly be vigilant about that front spoiler.
Which is why I ALWAYS back in when I park!!

--Jeff

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,501 Posts
Or maybe I should see if someone is selling their factory yellow corner protectors? :unsure:
Sure but be aware that the reason FCA recommends their removal is because they tend to trap dirt that could scratch your spoiler over time. If you remove them at least once a year to clean the spoiler you might be OK. Just be sure paint them flat black so other Mopar owners won't give you that Just got off the short bus? look. :)

Another consideration is to buy a set of ZL1 Addon splitter guards.

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
84 Posts
Sure but be aware that the reason FCA recommends their removal is because they tend to trap dirt that could scratch your spoiler over time. If you remove them at least once a year to clean the spoiler you might be OK. Just be sure paint them flat black so other Mopar owners won't give you that Just got off the short bus? look. :)

Another consideration is to buy a set of ZL1 Addon splitter guards.
Truth! When I got mine in May from a lease return (3 years and 8500 miles) it still had them on. I took them off when I got it home, but you can see some rub damage on the spoiler. Going to pull it off after the weather cools down and repaint it.

--Jeff

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
92 Posts
BTW, ZL1 is haveing a Labor Day sale. Use code LD21 for 20% off!
I bought a set of those for mine. They do seem to take the brunt of the impact. But now I’m scrapping, very loudly, leaving my driveway. Essentially they dropped my clearance by 3/4 of an inch. I figure I’m going to have to replace that hardware every now and then.
On another note, the kit comes with 5 guards. The guards on the far right and far left have a washer that needs to be filed/cut to fit in its slot.
Think of a washer that looks like an O, but needs to look like a D. I basically had to put them in a vice and then used a metal saw to cut them into a D shape. Surprised they never revised those two washers in their kit.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,612 Posts
At the risk of being crucified here from other Challenger members which I don't care anyway, use a propane torch to resolve it you may need to do the entire spoiler as it will restore factory color. The spoiler is high heat formed plastic so use the torch to restore the color of the scratches and even it out, be careful on concentrating the heat, if you don't have the confidence to do it then don't. The link is to simply show you what you can do with a torch on molded plastic that has been sun faded. As long as the color differences from the scratches are not showing anymore the spot won't be as noticeable at all. Ry

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,612 Posts
Melting Plastic and Burning Paint not a good idea and his is actually damaged not just scratched.
Then he simply uses a metal painters heat shield to keep the paint insulated from the torch.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,687 Posts
I would order a new one from the rep on the forum here. They give discounts. I did that with my other Scat. It didn't cost that much to get and you could probably do the work yourself to replace it. Forget about all that scary stuff to try!

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would order a new one from the rep on the forum here. They give discounts. I did that with my other Scat. It didn't cost that much to get and you could probably do the work yourself to replace it. Forget about all that scary stuff to try!
Do you have a link? Which rep? Someone from Dodge?
Thanks!

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Do you have a link? Which rep? Someone from Dodge?
Thanks!
I have ordered several parts from different dealers. Check a few for pricing to get a good idea of a fair price. Then check a few dealers closer to you as freight will be cheaper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts