Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the forum - I drive a grey 392 ScatPack Shaker. Had it for about a year now. Years ago, while on the Beltway, I use to see packs of 5.0 Mustang owners just free riding. Though it was cool. Always wanted to do something like that, but at that time I was driving a Chevy Corsica. WELL, now that I've got my SP, I'd like to do a "tour" around the Beltway with a few fine gentlemen and ladies showcasing the cars around the Beltway - with pit stops along the way. Not sure how organize such an event, so if you have experience with these sort a of things - and you live in the area (or not, if you want to take the trip from afar), let's get 'er done! Any takers?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Fun idea. I'm in the Reston area. I've never organized a car rally/event. But I have organized many motorcycle rally/events -- largest was 385 for the 2009 REDWING 19 Military Charity Iron Butt Ride. Of course, the big challenge of the Beltway is timing, i.e., day and time of day. I look forward to responses from others in the area to see what might develop. Thnx, Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look forward to responses from others in the area to see what might develop.
Yes! Hopefully enough folks in the area respond. I'd be down to do it if we get 20. Maybe the ride needs a warrant... for a cause?

·
Mr. Bill
2009 SRT8 with a performance few mods having a Diablo custom tune.
3,218 Posts
Wouldn't 495 be a mess for the most part? Time of day or day of week better than another?
I'm 3 hours out to hit 495 from 50 thru Annapolis via Eastern Shore of Va.
Not committing just yet but I'm curious. Always a good time to be had getting with the Challenger Z group.(y)

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2016 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,094 Posts
Good luck with your Rally! I noticed today that they are having a car cruise in Chadron early Friday evening. I may drive over and do that!

Reactions: JIMOLDFED

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Wouldn't 495 be a mess for the most part? Time of day or day of week better than another?
I'm 3 hours out to hit 495 from 50 thru Annapolis via Eastern Shore of Va.
Not committing just yet but I'm curious. Always a good time to be had getting with the Challenger Z group.(y)
Yup. Anymore, 495 is precarious on a good day. Still, with a little planning and some networking - perhaps a visit to a national capitol site/venue is possible. This summer is out of course. I’m thunking.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Unfortunately, 495 is a zoo almost any time of the day or night anymore. Maybe a road trip from a location just outside of the district to say, Annapolis or maybe Kent narrows on a back or primary road such as 50 might be an idea.

Another idea might be to join in the Skyline cruise in the fall. DTDT, lots of fun and looks when 20+ Challengers go rumbling by. :D

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I’m in Calvert County. Definitely up for a cruise but NOT on 495. Driving an M6 on the beltway in bumper to bumper is not my idea of fun...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm in Silver Spring, MD and count me in. As others have said, 495 would be sketchy but maybe early on a Sunday morning would work. 7AM or something like that. Back in my day (late 60's) we used to race one lap of 495. I think my best back then was about 42 minutes. Probably shouldn't try to beat that these days :) Also another idea might be up 270, cruise around Sugarloaf Mountain from Rt 109, up thru Frederick and back down 270 to 495 and home.

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,355 Posts
I’m in Calvert County. Definitely up for a cruise but NOT on 495. Driving an M6 on the beltway in bumper to bumper is not my idea of fun...
An M6 with 680 RWHP and enough torque to spin the tires for days
:ROFLMAO: lol. I'm in also. I like Rocket Man's idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hearing some good ideas guys. I495 may not be the best route to take for a cruise afterall. I definitely don't want to be in traffic for majority of the ride! I'm digging the idea of 270 to rt 109. I like the idea of keeping it in Maryland (radar detectors are legal, not that we would be speeding at all cough). Maybe start off of GW Pkwy up to the 270 spur...? time frame?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Im meeting with a long time pal who is an exec with a very cool charity. I'm going to ask him for some 2021 input. He's the kind of contact that can assist with the "gotta have" details. Will keep yall informed. In the meantime - I too am happy to join in a drive/drive in eat etc event this year. Thnx, Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jim, sounds good for something in 2021. In the meantime I'm ready in the near future. Not this weekend cause it's supposed to rain a lot, but anytime in the next couple of weeks sounds good to me. I still think early on a Sunday morning would give us the least traffic. Keep chiming in guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok - SUNDAY AUGUST 30th - that gives us over a month to figure out logistics. Let's make this a fun ride folks. Where ever we ride, it's about the journey. Let's make plenty of pit stops and have fun, whether it's around the beltway early Sunday morning or up I270. I just wanna ride. July 31st I'll hold a VOTE. majority rules. We ride out.

·
Mr. Bill
2009 SRT8 with a performance few mods having a Diablo custom tune.
3,218 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it. Should be fun.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Following because I would be interested. Late to the discussion, but I would never suggest a cruise around 495 because of the perpetual congestion. Better to pick a location off the beltway and work some back roads. We did a number of cruises down here in VA in the spring and we never got on the highway. Two lane and four lane roads only.

And I would second the recommendation to join the Skyline Cruise. That is always a great trip.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts