Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 2014 challenger RT auto bone stock. Just wondering if anyone with the same car and has a DCX intune tuner and what setting you have for rev limiter in drive and neutral. I've raised it but the engine idles irregularly and then dies shortly after. Should it stay at default setting or is there a setting that works. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Changing the rev limiter should not affect the idle speed at all. You can raise the idle speed independently of the rev limiter. Sounds like the tune did not load properly or you've got a bad tank of gas causing it to run rough at idle. Did it run fine on the stock tune and then suddenly start idling rough after loading the tune?

I'd try loading a different tune and see if it makes any difference. If no difference try loading the stock tune back on again and see how it runs. Something doesn't seem right there to me.

On my old R/T I set the rev limiter up to 6200RPM so I could wind it out to 6000RPM and have a little cushion before I shifted. I left the idle speed alone. I set the throttle boost to 15-20% and liked that as well.

Reactions: OrangeCrush392

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I raised it in my 2014 SXT no problems. But for some reason the RT doesn't want me messing with it I guess. I've loaded canned 93 and 91 tunes on it plenty times but if I load one and alter the rev settings and then start the engine it dies. I guess the NAG gears for RTs are shorter than for the V6s but I figured all the parts were the same depending on which engine you have. I'll try the throttle boost however and see how that is. Saves money on buying a sprint booster. Thanks for your feedback boss

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Probably a good idea to get with the Diablosport forum or better yet call them... Something's not right.

Reactions: cdahl383

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Yeah sounds like something is off. Could be a problem with the tuner or something. Doesn't sound horrible whatever it is, but I'd definitely give them a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Just wondering... You running an extra licence on it or tuning one car at a time... Just wondered.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Been a while since I posted. I've been using the intune for 3 years now, and I am constantly switching back and forth between the 91 and 93 tunes. My best performance and driveability has always been with the 91 tune with modified adjustable parameters. My best 0-60 is 4.9 seconds, but that was over a year ago and I have not tried to improve upon it. My most recent settings are the best by far, and after driving this car hard for four years, I am really impressed with the current performance, and quite frankly, a little amazed that the 5.7 could run this hard. In the past I had tried to increase the WOT timing without much success. The performance was up one day and down the next. I always blamed it on fuel or weather. But recently I saw a post by the people at intune about changing the timing. It seems there are two parameters that must be addressed equally for the timing increase to have any effect. You must adjust the WOT timing and the WOT MBT timing both equally, or the ECU will revert to the lower of the two. Right now I have the following adjustments, and the performance is incredible: rev limiter in drive 6200rpm; throttle boost 20%; adjust for actual tire height, not tire size; increased shift firmness; 180 degree thermostat with all fan settings lowered 20 degrees across the board; WOT timing and WOT MBT timing increased 4 degrees across the board, running 91 octane fuel with an additive. These adjustments are made prior to loading the 91 tune. I've tried loading the 91 tune first then going back and changing the adjustable parameters but the results were disappointing. The 93 tune has never been as good as the 91 tune. May have something to do with the fuel , although I have tried it with 93 octane fuel. The engine is accepting the increased timing without any problems so far. Just some information that might help some of you that are using the DCX tuner with less than anticipated performance increases.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
^ Awesome feedback! Lots of good stuff about tuning in that post, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I failed to mention the air filter. I was running a K&N filter but I didn't like the oil residue. Then I made up a CAI with a cone type filter, but performance suffered because the tubing diameter was too small. I put the stock air filter assembly back on minus the box that holds the filter, then attached the cone filter to the stock tubing. Seems to breathe much better than before, plus you get a little of the old school 4 barrel carb sucking air sound when you get heavy on the gas. I am also running Iridium spark plugs (big improvement there), full synthetic oil(5W20), and to top it off, with cruise control on and MSD engaged at 70mph, I can average as high as 27mpg on level road. Now, this one is hard to believe even for me, but I went through a 35mph speed zone with cruise set, MSD engaged, and the numbers on the dash went up to 38mpg. Nice to know the fuel mileage is there when you want it, but most of the time I average closer to 18mpg.

·
Read Only
757 Posts
I had a 2010 Ram and I raised the rev limiter and it never did anything. Still cut out at factory set point. Had to have a custom tuner change it for me via email for it to work. Then when I tried to lower the idle, the truck would idle at 1400 no exceptions. Gave up after that and never pursued lowering the idle. Not sure what the guy had to do to change the rev limit but he had heard of the issue before and knew how to fix it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The highest setting I have tried on the rev limiter in drive is 6400rpm, I figured that's pushing it a little hard for the 5.7L Hemi. The only advantage I've seen for raising the rev limit is it seems to pull harder on the upshift. With the factory setting there was a huge rpm drop on the 1-2 shift. I usually drive with the shifter in manual mode. It will still shift automatically at full throttle when it hits the redline. If I use manual shift and sport mode at the same time, it will hit the rev limiter if I don't shift in time. I've had to make some changes to the adjustable parameters with the onset of hot weather. For some reason, my Hemi gets sluggish in hot weather. My current settings are: timing 2 deg advance across the board; add .50% fuel across the board; 15% throttle boost; max rpm in drive 6250; modified 91 tune; 91 octane fuel with an additive. Haven't had a chance to do a full throttle pass, but light throttle with manual shift at 3000rpm will get you to 55mph in a heartbeat. It feels good enough that I may try to beat my best 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds soon as I get the gas tank down to less than a quarter tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts