Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad stored his car in the garage all winter and or course it was dead. I tried to jump it by attaching the jumper cables to the actual battery in the trunk. The lights and radio all work but when i try to start the car all I was getting was a clicking noise. The gas tank was 3/4 full and it did not sound like the engine was even trying to turn over. Just a very annoying clicking noise every time i turned the key

Any idea?
thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
The battery may be so dead that jumping won't work, did you put a voltmeter on it? Get a good charger and charge it fully. And jumping a dead battery and then letting the car charge it up is hard on the alternator and may burn it up.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,461 Posts
By all means keep a battery tender on it the next time you store it for winter. Discharging a battery until its dead is detrimental to the life of the battery.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would put a charger on it and see what happens but bad8nti is right leaving a battery full discharged is the worst thing that can be done to a battery. I would replace it and purchase a battery tender before storage next year. I am still running the factory 09 battery because I use a battery tender when the car is not being driven. I also put stabil in the fuel then top the tank off last time I drive it before storage, then quick oil change and she is good to go in the spring. Never had a problem in the spring doing those few simple things.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Just an extra tip: if you keep your car at home in the garage and when sitting over the winter on a charger/tender leave your hood popped and periodically lift your cover just enough to lift the hood and take a multimeter voltage reading (at the posts next to the fuse box) to make sure it's floating in the low 13's....sometimes battery tenders stop producing a top off charge and you may not notice until it's to late, just food for thought

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I just opened the garage door, started mine every 3 weeks and let it run for about 25 minutes and no problems at all

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
I used a battery tender junior all winter for ~$20-25 it's a pretty cheap way to keep your battery charged up. I'm actually thinking I might get one for our riding mower since I'll probably end up having to put a new battery in it this spring.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad stored his car in the garage all winter and or course it was dead. I tried to jump it by attaching the jumper cables to the actual battery in the trunk. The lights and radio all work but when i try to start the car all I was getting was a clicking noise. The gas tank was 3/4 full and it did not sound like the engine was even trying to turn over. Just a very annoying clicking noise every time i turned the key

Any idea?
thanks
YES U DO NOT !!! HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO JUMP START " A COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERY WILL NOT START WITH JUMPER CABLES EX THATS ONLY FOR IF U LEFT LIGHTS ON FOR HOUR ETC " U NEED A POWER PAC THATS AT LEAST 660 AMP ILL SHOW U MINE BUT THE NEW LITHIUM ONCE ARE GREAT GET 2000 AMP ITS EXPENSIVE MINE IS 7 YRS OLD & COST $75
16050015224564448375202804469769.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
YES U DO NOT !!! HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO JUMP START " A COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERY WILL NOT START WITH JUMPER CABLES EX THATS ONLY FOR IF U LEFT LIGHTS ON FOR HOUR ETC " U NEED A POWER PAC THATS AT LEAST 660 AMP ILL SHOW U MINE BUT THE NEW LITHIUM ONCE ARE GREAT GET 2000 AMP ITS EXPENSIVE MINE IS 7 YRS OLD & COST $75 View attachment 264352
Try not using all caps. It looks like you are SHOUTING at everyone.
-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts