Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got off the phone with the dealer and they recommended i get a decarb service at 15k. it costs $120...what do you guys think about this???

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,481 Posts
i just got off the phone with the dealer and they recommended i get a decarb service at 15k. it costs $120...what do you guys think about this???
Unless yours came with a Holly Double Pumper and they want to install fuel injection, I haven't the slightest idea. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If that means decarbonizing the engine (removing carbon from inside the cylinders) I don't think so. Pull a spark plug and see if it's all carboned up. Is your exhaust pipe all black coated? It sounds fishy. Fluid changes fine but at only 15,000 miles. I don't think so.
Time to change Dealers.

Burly Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tech told me they spray a concentrated cleaner into the throttle body while the cars running and said it takes around 30 minutes. for $120!!!! i dont know about this...he also recommended an alignment, tire rotation and of course oil change....came out to a little over $300. I just did the oil change and tire rotation today. Not sure if my car needs and alignment or a decarb at only 14k. I baby the car and go slow over every speedbump possible...do you guys think i even need an alignment at this time??????? and decarb?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Read your owners manual it has all the info that you need as far as scheduled and general maintenance is concerned.:4-wavey:

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
You don't need a decarb at 14,000 miles. Sometimes there is buildup in the injector holes but I wouldn't be concerned about that until after 35,000 miles.

I have always rotated my tires at 5000 miles and never had an alignment until new tires. Unless you hit a curb or giant chuck hole it's not time for an alignment yet.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Sounds to me like all they do is spray throttle-body cleaner into the intake port of the manifold.

Doing this won't do very much.

If you want the throttle body thoroughly cleaned, it actually requires removing the upper intake manifold and washing it in carb-cleaner. Spray won't do a thing.

I used to have a 1990 5.0 Foxbody Mustang and that's pretty much what you had to do.

Best advice is to not run your car on cheap, lower octane gas.

I'll tell you this, since new I was running my RT on 91 octane from ESSO (Imperial Oil). I like other here always got the carb buildup on my shiny quad-exhaust tips which would require me to use Neverdull to clean the tips up.

I'd been hearing great things about Shell gas, but never had a chance to fill up on the 91 octane from them because their stations aren't as plentiful and are out of my way. Well, I cleaned my tips back in June 2012 and on July 4th, came across a Shell station and decided to fill up (I was due anyways. 1/4 tank left). Well I noticed the difference immediately, especially on the highway. Car ran smoother, and quieter.

I just put my car away for the winter yesterday. The quad exhaust tips are STILL CLEAN!!!!

Shell gas from now on!!!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Alignment is possible, mine needed one with no pot holes ever having been hit. My tire shop where I get all of mine done told me most new cars need one due to being strapped down on transports. It is easy to tell if it needs one though, there will be wear on the edges of the front tires and it will pull either left or right going down a flat straight road when you let go of the wheel. Decarb is snake oil, and a great way to raise the dealer's profit, nothing more nothing less. If you want to blow some carbon out do it the old fashioned way run it up to 5k in first and second gears, it costs a lot less then 120 and is WAY MORE fun. But then again, that's not necessary just fun. Don't fall for this trap and find a new dealer, if they are going to lie to you about something like this for 120, they will butt-rape you on any needed repairs down the road.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So did they show the printout from the alignment machine where your car is out of spec? Or are the tires wearing unevenly?

As for the "decarb" service, is the car missing, running poorly, throwing codes or some identifiable problem? I have never needed that on a vehicle but I don't run the cheapest gas I find either. Try some Seafoam or Techcron gas additive if you think something is needed.

·
SX=Modern Mopar Experts
3,961 Posts
Buy a catch can and you won't ever have an issue that needs to be de carbed... The throttle bodies do get pretty gunned up over time when not running a can.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
This is the prime example of what the dealership is referring to.

TB on the left never had a catch can. Hence the black, crusty build up. TB on the right has had a can since day 1. Both TBs were between 50 and 60k and the TB on the right was NOT cleaned up for this photo. You can pay the dealership $120 every 15000 miles, or spend $100 ONCE and protect for the life of the engine. Plus, the catch cans add some style to your engine bay. Best thing to do beyond that is add a bottle of $6 Techron every time you change your oil.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Definitely some convincing evidence for catch cans with that throttle body comparison photo! I put one on my car around 5,000 miles, catches quite a bit of gunk every oil change when I empty it.

The dealership recommended a fuel service to me today, but I'm at around 27,000 miles. I dropped it off for an oil change, manual trans fluid change, replace cracked rocker panel, and tire rotation/rebalance. I said no thanks to the fuel system cleaning, I highly doubt my car has any significant carbon buildup the way I drive it and with having a catch can on it. I might have them do that around 50,000 miles or so, but even then it may not be too bad.

They also said that around 30,000 miles I need to get a tune-up and it will cost around $275! Haha yeah right. I'll be buying the plugs myself and installing them in my garage on my own and keep the $200 in savings for something cool like sequential taillights or something. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know I'm digging up some old threads here and I'm new here.....but want to explain some items... I have over 15 years experience in the dealer world and have done everything there is to do in the dealership. I am no longer in the dealer world, but work with them on a daily basis....so I know a lot about cars.

Actually decarbing an engine is not snake oil. While it doesn't have to be done every 15k like dealers are telling you, it does eventually have to be done, especially in today's engines. Here's where it gets interesting. The ONLY way this works is if you don't have a DI (direct inject) motor. The carbon usually builds up on the intake valves. And a "Fuel Induction Service" like most dealers call it, is completely useless on a direct inject motor because the only thing that ever touches your intake valves on DI motors is air. I have a Pontiac Solstice GXP (turbo car) as my other vehicle, and we are seeing issues with carbon build-up on the intake valves now that these cars are starting to see over 30k on them. Ford, GM and Hyundai are all seeing issues on their DI motors with carbon build-up on the valves. Most OEs put the PCV valve in the intake between the middle cylinders and this is where most of the build-up happens....on the middle 2 cylinders. There is nothing right now that cleans the intake vavles on DI motors other then ripping the intake off and "walnut blasting" them. On a non-DI car it's different. These cleaners actually work. However, at a price. Fuel Induction Service does affect turbo bearings.... Again, back to my other car....if I have the motor "fogged" by this induction service, it gets in the turbo bearings and destroys them because the "fogging" has to happen before the turbo. It doesn't usually bother internal engine bearings. Just turbo bearings because turbos can spin at 110,000rpm+. I just wanted to clarify some of the comments about fuel induction services.... Didn't know if there had been any in-depth discussion on this previously or not....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts