Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We will never probably see this again. 50th anniversary celebration of the legendary HEMI by mopar. Dodge pulled out all the stops and brought in MOPAR Legends (Dodge Legends) These gentlemen are the reason we have and drive our Challengers. On your knees suckers! From right to left two standing and first two seated from the right, the legendary Golden Commando team. Third in from the right Al Adam, driver of the famous Motown Missile. And the four gentlemen seated to Als' right the legendary Ram Chargers who campaigned the red and white candy striped Dodge.

Roger Lindamoods new Color Me Gone, a modern Drag Pack Challenger was also there. A few more pics to follow.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The new Drag Pack Challenger Color me Gone! Rogers son is going to drive it.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We had the pleasure of talking with these gentlemen. They loved my Dodge Racing Jacket. One of the Ramchargers asked me what Dodge I had. I told him the Challenger SRT. He loved it. He loves the new Challengers. He asked me the HP of my SRT....told him 470HP.....he said WOW! Asked what transmission I had and rear end. Told him 6 speed with 3.92. He grinned ear to ear. They were very accommodating and super to talk with. Great guys.....I felt 16 again :smileup:

Did I say autographs?

Golden Commando race team on the right of the placard. Al Adam of Motown Missile fame bottom center. And left side of placard the Ramchargers (who btw were Dodge engineers). They secretly moved the rear axle forward 3 inches and did the body work to cover the axle move. I told the Golden Commando guys that the Ramchargers moved the axle, cheated. They said hell that's nothing, you should have seen what we did and laughed like hell. This is one day I will never forget!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Wow! Thanks Hajo! I'm blown away! Lou.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
Wayne, Thanks for posting! Great Read and Pics! Post more pics if ya got'em!

:rep:

·
Premium Member
18,518 Posts
Wayne - I was hoping you would post up about the trip. Great stories and pics.Keep them coming. :smileup:

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
did you say Pics? I took 107 of them, kid in a candy store.

Posey campaigned the sublime number 77 Challenger in the T/A series (for you younger folks) New version pictured.
The blue Plymouth Race Hemi with Crossram again for you younger folks it may be a lightweight. If it is only 500 built
per that year model. Front bumper concerns me. Could have been installed or factory.

History.

Reactions: MOPARMOM

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Thanks for posting all that great info and photo's Wayne!! Very Cool!!:smileup:

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is another fact about these gents and others like them.

in one months time....one month, the Ramchargers, Sox, Landy etc, went form running 10.5s in the quarter to 8.5s. One month! At that time it was unheard of! That is why they are Legends. Mercury went so far as to instruct their Drag Teams to "Not engage with a Chrysler product in a match race!" They simply could not compete! More often then not it usually boiled down to an all MOPAR finals. This is from where we came. Pat yourselves on the back for owning a Challenger. We are an elite group from a rich and lengthy high performance heritage.

I hope some of the younger folk would comment on this post. I'm afraid most here have no idea who these people are and what they contributed to the legend and the reason we own Challengers. This is History and good to know.
Someone is going to have to carry the torch when we old folks leave LOL. We want to keep the lights on :smileup:

If interested Ramchargers home page http://www.ramchargers.com/index.html

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The reason I am posting this is because it is a 392 Hemi powered 32 Ford.

The car was protected by a barrier of course. My friend Ron and I were taking pictures of this and the pretty lady who was inside with the cordoned off car chatted with us and invited us in to get a closer look. Imagine how Ron and I felt when with 20 to 30 people there looking at the car, the very pretty lady invited us and only us in. Man did we feel special. Now....take a good look at the powerplant if you can. The lady explained to us they had just finished this two weeks before the show. Remember...they award the Riddler here. And they intend to drive and show the car......YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Now the engine etc. If you will notice the patina is of unfinished metal, including the blower, valve covers and intake. Know how they got that patina? You'll die. Before they assembled the engine they placed the finished parts in their dishwasher to get that look. LOL she explained they had a few problems getting the blower in it. The look was worth it.

·
Premium Member
18,518 Posts
Wayne - you've posted some very nice car pics but where's the pretty lady ? :D
That's a cool story about the engine parts finish.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,741 Posts
Great job on the pics Wayne. Those names all mean a lot to me.I know you were thrilled to meet them.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A few more pictures from Detroit.

Sorry....getting these things sorted and uploaded takes time.

Plymouth 60s style....GTX, gorgeous. You can tell it is a 68 by the round side marker lights. In 69 and after, they were rectangular.

Btw Bullet Bob Reed who drove our HEMIS after switching from 409 Chevys said " There ain't but two kinds of people, those who want a HEMI and those who have them."

Old Mopar Drag Car.

Pettys Garage Challenger. Bought a tee shirt from them of course.

This is it. I promise, no more pictures. :eek:ld:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts