Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I find this hard to believe,,, which is why I hadn't posted this till now. 6 weeks ago I was driving past a junk yard/fix it up and sell it, car dealer near me.

I noticed as I looked to the back of the lot near the garage a Challenger on a flat bed. I turned around because it didn't look to be excessively damaged. There did seem to be differences on the front end that I have not seen before. I couldn't really see the hood of the car, (i am handicapped and never got out of my car) the guy that owns the place has seen me before because his dirt road is access to the farmer that I buy corn from. He came over to my car and asked if I needed something. I said yeah,,, where did you get the Challenger?

His reply floored be. He said that 6 weeks earlier the car was rolled and offered by a black man at an auction in southern Illinois. He said it was an experimental car that had a 700hp supercharged engine and Gull Wing Doors. He described the uniqueness of the car and said he was going to fix the relatively minor body damage and sell it or whatever. My head was spinning because it was obvious he knew the value and there was not going to be any dealing about it.

I am still mystified by the whole experience. Say What??? Gull Wing Doors???? 2016????:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I don't buy it. Even if he rolled one, Chrysler isn't going to let the car go to a junk yard. It could be something special or custom, but I doubt its factory.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I don't buy it. Even if he rolled one, Chrysler isn't going to let the car go to a junk yard. It could be something special or custom, but I doubt its factory.
I agree. Manufacturer prototype and pre-production cars never just end up in a junk yard somewhere. The manufacturer always destroys them so that nothing from the vehicle can be re-utilized by individuals outside of the company.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what I thought. But still,,,, its there,, and yeah,, Ralph,, sorry. the car is real,, its there.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If it is a prototype and had gull wing doors the designer should be shot and I hope the car stays dead.:hah:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Hmmm...

Imagine if I rolled my car (the 'Cuda Tribute Edition) a couple years ago, and it was at some random salvage yard; it could be deemed a possible "experimental NEW MoPar" as well... I've met and chatted with Ralph several times over the years, and he is extremely secretive. Plus, the company would NOT allow such a thing to occur.

As it was mentioned earlier; the company Destroys all aspects of the mules & experimental cars.

Just in case any of you guys are interested: I have a newly-slightly used Bridge on my 400 acres of Florida Bottom-Land I can sale to you for cheap. I call it the Brooklyn Bridge; but once you buy it from me - you can give it any name you want. :) JK

Reactions: Latenite1

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Just in case any of you guys are interested: I have a newly-slightly used Bridge on my 400 acres of Florida Bottom-Land I can sale to you for cheap. I call it the Brooklyn Bridge; but once you buy it from me - you can give it any name you want. :) JK
I would be interested in this Tony if you can move it to Wyandotte.........LOL :gy:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said,,, it was hard for me to believe which is why I didn't post it sooner. Then the marketing happened. If it was what this (used car dealer) said it was,,,, how did he come up with the story of how he acquired it. He clearly knew the value,,, all of this must have originally happened in an April time frame,, and why would he be so open like that if it were the truth?,,, or,, why feed me this imaginative pseudo story? All of this kept bothering me to know the truth. Even when I left the lot,,, I was kicking myself for not taking some pictures or asking him to take a shot of the engine bay and others. I am sure he would have. I am handicapped and had no wheelchair along and the car was still on the back of his rollback. So I didn't ask. And I still want to know as well.

As a resolution,,, I have come up with a plan,, kinda... I told a friend of mine and a good old boy in this area that is also restoring a 67 Coronet this unbelievable story. Next week sometime when he gets back from a Long Haul trip is going out there to investigate the story and document the car if he can.

That's the best I can do. He finds the story to be unbelievable as well. I hope he follows through,, he is a busy guy but was intrigued as well.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If there's a way to get the vin #, you'd know in short order if it was a 15 or not, right? Is this car outside where all can view it or is it now in the yard?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I agree. Manufacturer prototype and pre-production cars never just end up in a junk yard somewhere. The manufacturer always destroys them so that nothing from the vehicle can be re-utilized by individuals outside of the company.
The only time I have seen a pre-production car end up in a junk yard was one of the 1990 Corvette ZR-1 development cars. Someone found it in a junkyard over in England, it was there because Lotus was doing the engine research and development on the LT5 (they developed the LT5 for GM) and when they were finished Lotus was told to junk the car there. The person that found it brought it back to the US and restored it. I believe it was yellow and now resides at the Corvette museum.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only time I have seen a pre-production car end up in a junk yard was one of the 1990 Corvette ZR-1 development cars. Someone found it in a junkyard over in England, it was there because Lotus was doing the engine research and development on the LT5 (they developed the LT5 for GM) and when they were finished Lotus was told to junk the car there. The person that found it brought it back to the US and restored it. I believe it was yellow and now resides at the Corvette museum.
It is that counter outside the box thinking that obsessed me. The introduction of the European mindset in the car industry. Mother Fiat says DISPOSE OF,, sell at auction for best price with wrecked title. American subsidiary at test track near Detroit says will do.

Yeah,,, thats the component,,, Murphy's Law,,,, :4-dontknow:

Thankz for presenting that. :smileup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts