Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. Just picked up a new 2018 T/A 392 (6 speed manual) last weekend; It was love at first sight :)

I am interested in altering the final drive gear ratio to get more off-the-line fun. I will never take this to a track or drag strip and I live in Pittsburgh, so probably never see 100mph+. I'm having some difficulties locating after market ring and pinion gear sets. Unfortunately I don't know much about the rear-end yet. About all I think I know is that it should currently be 3.90:1

It would be great if someone knows where to find these parts; Also any and all information about the differential would be awesome. What other vehicles if any use compatible parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heheh, man, you guys sound like my wife last year when I brought home a brand new RoadKing and proceeded to take the sawzall to it. I understand what yer saying, but this is my hobby; I like wrenching and modding machines, don't really care about warranties and stuff.

I like to change my gearing to the environment; Pittsburgh is pretty much nothing but twisting, winding, hilly fun stuff. So unless you get out on the highway, your not going to find much in the way of straight roads to wind this bad-boy up to some crazy top speed.

So why not change things up a bit so I can use more than the first 3 gears. I was thinking red-line in 6th should be @ 130mph....

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,034 Posts
^ In that case, do it up right!....Get rid of the OEM differential all together and install a Ford 9". You'll think every day is track day to and from work. .....:cool:

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,548 Posts
Heheh, man, you guys sound like my wife last year when I brought home a brand new RoadKing and proceeded to take the sawzall to it. I understand what yer saying, but this is my hobby; I like wrenching and modding machines, don't really care about warranties and stuff.

I like to change my gearing to the environment; Pittsburgh is pretty much nothing but twisting, winding, hilly fun stuff. So unless you get out on the highway, your not going to find much in the way of straight roads to wind this bad-boy up to some crazy top speed.

So why not change things up a bit so I can use more than the first 3 gears. I was thinking red-line in 6th should be @ 130mph....
Go to too much bigger gears -- bigger to get that 130mph top speed in 6th you mentioned -- and you won't be using the 1st 3 gears more you'll be starting out in 2nd and skip shifting to 4th. I suspect the car/engine can handle the hilly terrain there with no problems. I mean what with 485hp and 475 ft lbs of torque it is not like you're going to be have to get out and push...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts