Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My car is a 2011 challenger rt with a kenne bell 2.8 blower. So I am having blow by. Its coming out of the oil fill cap. I also had oil when I took off my own manifold. Would a breather or catch can help?

Registered
Catch can for sure... Should be a first mod I always recommend... 馃憤

Reactions: Gila Hemi

Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
A lot of people will tell you that you don't need a catch can (common argument: If it's needed, your Challenger would already have one installed at the factory). For a regular non-aspirated engine, that's probably a valid argument, but installing a catch can doesn't hurt your engine and it does catch blowback. I installed one when I drove an R/T, and it's the 2nd mod I added when I bought my Hellcat last year.

Catch cans seem to make more sense on supercharged engines. Check out the YouTube below as this probably gives one of the better breakdowns on catch cans I've seen.

Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
Hello everyone. My car is a 2011 challenger rt with a kenne bell 2.8 blower. So I am having blow by. Its coming out of the oil fill cap. I also had oil when I took off my own manifold. Would a breather or catch can help?
Catch can won't help with the blow by out the oil fill cap. New rings maybe. But not a catch can.

Registered
A lot of people will tell you that you don't need a catch can (common argument: If it's needed, your Challenger would already have one installed at the factory). For a regular non-aspirated engine, that's probably a valid argument, but installing a catch can doesn't hurt your engine and it does catch blowback. I installed one when I drove an R/T, and it's the 2nd mod I added when I bought my Hellcat last year.

Catch cans seem to make more sense on supercharged engines. Check out the YouTube below as this probably gives one of the better breakdowns on catch cans I've seen.

There are lots on useful additions that were not installed by the factory. Not having one from the factory doesn't make them useless. I get oil in mine EVERY time I look. This is an old argument anyway. I agree it's the first thing I would do.

Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
The engine had a fresh air line from the oil fill port that went to the stock air box, that air line part of the PVC system serves 2 purposes. It keeps a small negative vacuum on the crankcase at all times, which increases vacuum as engine RPM increases, and allows fresh air flow into the crankcase when the PCV valve is actually open.

When the PCV valve is closed that fresh air line pulls negative crankcase pressure to keep blow by from going past the piston rings under crankcase pressure. Many think that air tube is not needed and replace it with a breather, big mistake!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine had a fresh air line from the oil fill port that went to the stock air box, that air line part of the PVC system serves 2 purposes. It keeps a small negative vacuum on the crankcase at all times, which increases vacuum as engine RPM increases, and allows fresh air flow into the crankcase when the PCV valve is actually open.

When the PCV valve is closed that fresh air line pulls negative crankcase pressure to keep blow by from going past the piston rings under crankcase pressure. Many think that air tube is not needed and replace it with a breather, big mistake!
I believe the kenne bell system has the same line. Right at the cap theres a hose that goes into the intake. If you fill oil too quick it will kver fill into that line and drip out the intake onto the belly pan. They also have their own self draining catch can system but I've heard jts useless

Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
I believe the kenne bell system has the same line. Right at the cap theres a hose that goes into the intake. If you fill oil too quick it will kver fill into that line and drip out the intake onto the belly pan. They also have their own self draining catch can system but I've heard jts useless
The supercharger increases the output, check that air line to the air box whatever diameter outlet is on the oil port itself, the connecting hose should be the same inner diameter with zero restrictions.

Is the hose going to a closed or open air box, many run the hose to an open box setup which is useless, that hose needs vacuum on it from the intake tube.

Pictures would help?

Reactions: shooterjgs

Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8

John, You do realize the guy is selling their product, Right?

Here is what is most important regarding the PCV system on any Hellcat if after market follows the exact design that Dodge engineers did designing the PCV system, then use it, if not, do not use it.

Just because you do not see instantaneous damage, does not mean long term damage is not developing, by the time long term is discovered, it is too late.

What I am saying is, IF, the Hellcats Stock Passenger Side PCV line is 5/8" or 3/4" ID and has zero blow through pressure, then the same ID should be used with the catch can, and it does not need a check valve, the PCV valve is the check valve for that line. The actual Catch can should be as easy to push air through as that hose you removed to install it.

The old days of the clunky PCV is long gone as Dodge engineers have designed an excellent PCV system that works in hand with the environmental requirements of the engine.

The Drivers side PCV line is very important, and any duplication or after market add on, should follow its exact layout, as far as size of connecting tube, and if that line itself has no breather on it, none should be attached to it. It runs from the oil fill port and connected to intake vacuum, either to the air box itself, or directly to the intake tube going to the throttle body.

Then the engine will run as it was designed to run.

Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger
What? Drives side is incoming air. If his oil fill isn鈥檛 sealed it may be sucking tiny bit of dirt into crank case but whatever

Blown motors have more blow by than n/a motors do. Preforming a leak down test will let you know the condition of the rings for each individual cylinder. Don鈥檛 worry about what was said ^^^.

Leak it down and go from there

*shoulda been leaked down before sc installation anyways : )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What? Drives side is incoming air. If his oil fill isn鈥檛 sealed it may be sucking tiny bit of dirt into crank case but whatever

Blown motors have more blow by than n/a motors do. Preforming a leak down test will let you know the condition of the rings for each individual cylinder. Don鈥檛 worry about what was said ^^^.

Leak it down and go from there

*shoulda been leaked down before sc installation anyways : )
Yea I wanted to do a leak down test. But the shop said not to do unless I think there's something wrong. I dont go to them anymore. I'm currently going with st motorsports but they're a 3 hour drive. I have had the blower for 11 months and put about 100 miles a week since. Maybe a little more. I noticed the blow by about 4 months in and if I wipe it clean it'll return within 2 months or so. So it's fairly minimal (I think?) But still I need this engine to last about another year till the forged engine is built

Premium Member
I put a hang on Paxton blower on an old 318 Plymouth engine with unknown miles on it. I knew it was really worn out. I only ran 5 PSI but the first time I got on it, it blew out the oil pan gasket as well as the valve cover gaskets. Even blew out the PCV valve grommet. The whole car was full of smoke. Two people pulled in behind me when I stopped in the breakdown lane because they thought I was on fire. Funny as hell though.
You need a compression test AND a leakdown test to make sure the rings are good.
-John

Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger
What? Leak down alone will tell ya how well your rings and valves are sealing

If it leaks down well a compression test will show a bad cam lobe or a cam that is improperly timed

Registered
Catch can and a new set of .030 pistons.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I'm scheduling an appointment for a leakdown test then getting a carch can for now. Hopefully I can save enough to rebuild or buy a new forged engine before anything happens

Registered
I put a hang on Paxton blower on an old 318 Plymouth engine with unknown miles on it. I knew it was really worn out. I only ran 5 PSI but the first time I got on it, it blew out the oil pan gasket as well as the valve cover gaskets. Even blew out the PCV valve grommet. The whole car was full of smoke. Two people pulled in behind me when I stopped in the breakdown lane because they thought I was on fire. Funny as hell though.
You need a compression test AND a leakdown test to make sure the rings are good.
-John
What John said ^ ^ ^ is spot on (same for Rockster). I have a KB set up on my 2012. When we built that motor we fully forged the entire bottom end and used upgraded rings and gaskets throughout otherwise you have increased risk of blowby. Not too much of an issue if your running 6lbs or less of boost but definitely a factor at higher boost levels. As John said, compression & leakdown tests are needed. A catch can will NOT solve this problem. Just for comparative purposes I'm running 14+ lbs of boost and over the course of 4000 miles (my oil change interval) i produce 3-5 ounces in my catch can (depending on winter/summer temps). Sounds like your volume is much higher.

Keep up us posted on how your testing goes :)

Reactions: tripper1

Premium Member
What John said ^ ^ ^ is spot on (same for Rockster). I have a KB set up on my 2012. When we built that motor we fully forged the entire bottom end and used upgraded rings and gaskets throughout otherwise you have increased risk of blowby. Not too much of an issue if your running 6lbs or less of boost but definitely a factor at higher boost levels. As John said, compression & leakdown tests are needed. A catch can will NOT solve this problem. Just for comparative purposes I'm running 14+ lbs of boost and over the course of 4000 miles (my oil change interval) i produce 3-5 ounces in my catch can (depending on winter/summer temps). Sounds like your volume is much higher.

Keep up us posted on how your testing goes :)
I got a funny feeling that when he took off the intake manifold and was talking about oil, I think he has a leaking oil cooler housing. Many don't know that the thing is a piece of crap. That's why Dorman makes one out of metal. Most get broken by oil change morons at jiffy lube and the like that over-tighten the oil filter cap. It doesn't even need to be tight. The O-ring seals everything. When it stops turning. STOP! Do not attempt to tighten it. That's how 90% of them end up broken.
-John

Registered
Sorry for the noob question, but does the installation of a catch can invalidate your warranty?
NO. Once you install it, you will see how simple it is.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok. Here's some pics. I wiped it off and completely forgot to take pics. It almost doesn't even look like oil.. it looks like some other sort of residue. But all down that cylinder shaped oil fill cap ther was residue. Its on the drivers side by the injectors too. Its mostly on the bottom of the black hose that goes from the oil fill to air intake.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
I
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts