Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I did an oil change back in november and then put my car up for the winter. I spoke to the dealer and they said an oil chsnge is recommended every 6 months, but since the car's been just sitting i am assuming there is no need.

Do i need to do an oil change first thing this spring, or am i ok? I use mobile 1.

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
If you didn't run the engine during this period I would say your good.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,605 Posts
Just food for thought, if you're still under warranty you may want to change it since that's part of the recommended service interval. No need to give them any reason to deny anything if you have any issues in the future. Mine is out of normal warranty but I have the lifetime power train warranty, you can bet I'll be sticking to the recommended services just to be sure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nope you should be good. Like jKelly16 said stick with your maintenance schedule or better. I actually change mine before it goes to the garage for the winter

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I change mine once per year and it sits a few months out of the year. Your good till 3k or November.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
My Nova sits all winter long and I always change the oil before I fire it up in the spring. It's probably okay, but I like having fresh oil in there to start the season.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Am I missing the point here. JXP stated that he changed the oil before he put it up for storage. The engine has not been run since. Just cause the car sat for 6 months the advise from the board is to change the oil again. What about the oil that sits in the can on the parts store shelve for six months, does that mean the oil is now no good?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Am I missing the point here. JXP stated that he changed the oil before he put it up for storage. The engine has not been run since. Just cause the car sat for 6 months the advise from the board is to change the oil again. What about the oil that sits in the can on the parts store shelve for six months, does that mean the oil is now no good?
His oil is still perfectly good...the question is...will his warranty be if he ever needs it. Not being able to PROVE it has been done every 6 months is a way for Chrysler to void a powertrain warranty as per the owners manual.
Just has an addition to this post...I have heard that Chrysler changed this 6 month part sometime in 13 or 14. I don't know this for a fact...but I've heard it. I think they went to one year on that.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
This is the same i have been thru also!What i have decided was to leave old oil in the engine for my winter storage as i only put 3k miles a year on my car then it sits for 5 months.Plus i use full synthetic oil and it can last for like 10k miles.My thought is if you put new oil in then store it for 5 months its not the same as leaving brand new oil in the jug.In your engine you will get some condensation in the cold and warm changes of air temp in the winter.Plus i like to start out the year with fresh oil.If i ever had a warranty issue i would love to see them prove anything(but then again they do own the lawyers that make our laws?)

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
This is the same i have been thru also!What i have decided was to leave old oil in the engine for my winter storage as i only put 3k miles a year on my car then it sits for 5 months.Plus i use full synthetic oil and it can last for like 10k miles.My thought is if you put new oil in then store it for 5 months its not the same as leaving brand new oil in the jug.In your engine you will get some condensation in the cold and warm changes of air temp in the winter.Plus i like to start out the year with fresh oil.If i ever had a warranty issue i would love to see them prove anything(but then again they do own the lawyers that make our laws?)
These are similar to my thoughts. I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference or not, but I've always changed the oil in my Nova before firing it up for the year. But I don't change it before I put it away for the winter either.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
If it hasn't been run or started since Nov., you're still good. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
about the whole voiding the warranty thing...

you shouldn't have to take it in to the dealer for every oil change... it's nice if you do/want to so they have a record in the computer...

but for the DIY oil changers, just keep a small notepad in the glove box and write down the mileage, date, type and weight of the oil, etc...

so in this case, if you want to "fudge the books", just write the information on a note pad, put it in the glove box with your paper work and call it a day... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I always figured it was better to change the oil before winter storage at least this way there is no contaminated oils all over the engine for the storage period, oil all fresh and ready to go in the spring ???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts