Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Do you have the Hemi Tick?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Salesman Friday told me most Hemi's have it. Curious about this issue and the percentage that have the noise. And if engine makes a difference.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dag, I've read posts about the tick but I do not know specifically what it sounds like? Can you describe it for me?
Keep on CHALLENGING!:smileup:
Mine is a ticking sound that I hear on the passenger side. It is most notable between 1800-2300 rpm's in Auto Stick mode. And then on deceleration. As your speed increases then the ticking speeds up. Have not heard it affects the function of the engine. Just annoying.

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
5.7' no tick, not even in cold weather

·
Registered
640 Posts
2012 5.7 6-spead Have 10K miles on the vehicle and no 'tick' yet. Switched to full synthetic after the first 500 miles. Not sure if that helped or not but I would like to think that it did. A few people on here have said that they switched to Royal Purple and it all but eliminated the noise or made it more bearable.

I do not like the fact that Chrysler/Dodge is saying this is 'normal' though. Whether or not the ticking noise effects the longevity of the motor or performance shouldn't be an issue. The issue itself is that people paid hard earned cash for a vehicle that costs upwards of 40k dollars. If every single HEMI out there had the tick, then I would say OK. You know when you buy the vehicle that there will be a ticking noise. At that point YOU make the decision if you can live with it or not. But when some do make the noise and some do not make the noise that to me is not normal, and Dodge/Chrysler should not play it off as such.

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Yes mine has it but its mild and it decreased when I shifted to MOBIL 1 full synthetic oil. I am going to try PENNZZOIL full synthetics at my next oil change - some folks on the Z say this is even better than MOBIL 1.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
My 2012 Automatic R/T has about 9,500 miles....has been running on Synthetic since the day I bought it and NO TICK....not yet at least.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
It really just sounds like lifter noise, you know, the tapping sound. My 5.7 does have it, but it's mild, I can only hear it at idle.
I totally agree that it's the hydraulic lifters... On mine, if I haven't driven
it in a while, I will hear a brief lifter knock for a second until the affected lifter/s pump back up. After the engine starts to warm, any ticking is practically gone. Also the engine cover on the 5.7 engine has thick foam padding on the underside. I think this was intended to help quiet engine noise in general. Anyone who has run their engine with the cover removed can tell the difference...

·
Registered
66 Posts
my 6.4 has it at low rpm and cold starts. definitely sounds like lifter noise. as others have said it doesn't seem to be damaging, just annoying.

I believe HHP has started selling aftermarket lifters for the VVT 5.7 & 6.4 that are supposed to help eliminate the ticking issue.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.